PDA

View Full Version : new jet ski laws

glowinzr2
05-26-2003, 04:43 AM
so its memorial day weekend and i got out to go jet skiing. i launch and everything and the DNR pulls me over. i was like uhhhh what did i do. hes like how old are you. im like 17 almost 18 why? he asked if i had taken the water safety course or some **** like that. i said i didnt even know there was one. well to make a long story short i guess some 14 year old kid crashed a jet ski killed himself and i think some one else know everyone under the age of 18 has to take this course. and next year its going to be 18 and under. but then if you go out and buy a 57' cruiser you dont ahve to take any classes whatsover. and plus shouldnt having your drivers license be enough specially if i wasnt jackin around or ne thing i like just unloaded it and tied it to the dock. AHHHHHHHH. ok im done now.

lil400exman
05-26-2003, 04:47 AM
i know lifes dumb........................a few retards ruin it for all of us................:rolleyes:

optikid123
05-26-2003, 04:55 AM
here you gotta be 16 to drive anything worth driving ( when your 12 u can drive a boat with an electric motor) and thats after you take the course.

QuAdRaCeR244
05-26-2003, 05:42 AM
here i think you can be 14 to drive a boat if you take the course. and 16 for jet ski. but i live right on a lake and no one follows the rules:p there is a little 10 year old kid that rips around the lake and his dad's jet ski:eek:

JustRace
05-26-2003, 06:35 AM
Here in MI if you were born after 1978 you have to take a boater safety class to drive a PWC. I haven't taken the class and i'm 21, but yet my 14 year old cousin who is 100lbs is aloud to drive one now:confused2

BlazingYamahaYz
05-26-2003, 07:09 AM
i took the boaters safety education course 2 or 3 years ago, and basically its like this....u have to be at least 10(i think, i could, MIGHT be wrong) but if u take this class and pass, u get this little card, and you are allowed to pilot a boat or pwc without a parental supervision, even tho ur only like 12...so im 14 almost 15 now, i am happy that i took the class cuz my friends have boats and a lake house and i drive around up there....and the fire department just got a Bombardier 1400cc, 3 person jet ski:devil: but in order to use this one, u have to have one of the chiefs take you out to make sure u understand water rescue with that thing...im working on it:D

BlazingYamahaYz
05-26-2003, 07:18 AM
its the Vans Triple Crown Edition (http://www.sea-doo.com/seadoo/web/jsp/main.jsp?Params=Y.US.310.25#) with a differnt color

QuAdRaCeR244
05-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by BlazingYamahaYz
its the Vans Triple Crown Edition (http://www.sea-doo.com/seadoo/web/jsp/main.jsp?Params=Y.US.310.25#) with a differnt color

sweet

lil400exman
05-26-2003, 12:02 PM
thats needed for fighting fires:blah: lol i wouldnt complain though....................:eek:

BlazingYamahaYz
05-26-2003, 12:31 PM
well what i shoulda said was, we have a dive rescue team, and since we are near a semi-large river(Fox River), we need something that can operate in shallower water...its used for water rescue along with this crappy boat and a new Zodiak...we're getting some new fire engines and other vehicles later this year:D

blasterkid
05-26-2003, 01:14 PM
i took the boaters safety education course 2 or 3 years ago, and basically its like this....u have to be at least 10(i think, i could, MIGHT be wrong) but if u take this class and pass, u get this little card, and you are allowed to pilot a boat or pwc without a parental supervision, even tho ur only like 12...so im 14 almost 15 now, i am happy that i took the class cuz my friends have boats and a lake house and i drive around up there....and the fire department just got a Bombardier 1400cc, 3 person jet ski:devil: but in order to use this one, u have to have one of the chiefs take you out to make sure u understand water rescue with that thing...im working on it:D

i did the same thing but i took it 6 years ago when i was 7 there were no laws back then lol and i got granfathered in so i am 13 and have a license

that kid that died was havnaion's (sp) son he crashed into the side of a sail boat it was bad

I-7
05-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Im 14 and i took the boaters course when i was 13. The test was like the easiest thing in the world and it only took 4 hours. The sherrifs pull me over all the time on my jetski because they think im young but i got my license. Here i think you have to be 10 or 11 to drive a jetski unsupervised with a boating license. Definatley worth it

switchfoot
07-01-2006, 07:39 PM
I had no idea that you had to be a certain age or take classes to go jet skiing. About a week and a half ago I was in Detroit. I was jet skiing at my aunt's house on her lake. No one said a word about any laws or nothing. I thought I'd look into it and here I am.

Crazy lil punk
07-02-2006, 06:43 AM
so if i take this boating class thing i can ride a jetski in NJ?

GPracer2500
07-02-2006, 07:40 AM
Boating licensing requirements are different from state to state. Call your states' game and fish department (that's who's in charge of that in AZ) or local police department to find out the rules.

Quad18star
07-02-2006, 12:09 PM
I wrote the test a few years ago to get my Operators Card . It became the law up here about 4 or 5 years ago . EVERYONE has to have this card ... it doesn't matter if you've been boating for the last 50 years or if you just got into the sport .

It started off because of the Sea-Doos having too many accidents . Too many young kids and drunk retards slamming into things and drowning .

To me , it was just a $35 scam ... something for the government to make money off of . I use a 12 foot aluminum boat with a 7.5 on the back to go fishing . When I challenged the test , the lady asked me what kind of boating I did and the size of the boat ... I told her . She gave me a booklet with all the answers and the test sheet and told me to fill it out and hand the $35 over to another lady sitting at a table collecting it all . :rolleyes:

Ralph
07-02-2006, 12:29 PM
i think the classes arent a bad thing because alot of people hop on jetskis thinking they have brakes and thinking they are simple.

Common scenario. A inexperienced rider is going along the water and there is an obsacle she has to avoid, another jet ski, etc. So the first reaction most people would have is to let off the gas. I dont know if anything has changed but tghe last time i was on one, unless you are on the gas you have little to no steering.

I dont think a safety course would really be that bothersome.

Im sure you will not learn a thing from the class. Its the new unexperienced ones they want to teach. But it should be required because people will be to lazy to take it