PDA

View Full Version : Cams.....

Sparks425Ex
05-26-2003, 02:29 AM
My engine is just about all set for motor work but I am thinkin about building a hole other engine just to stick in a frame of some sort. I have a EX engine all stock just gotta decide on what I gonna do for engine work.

I was thinkin bout sticking with my EX engine builder(Sparks) But I decided I wanna build it myself.

What do you guys think of WEB Cams? They seem good and not to much bad mouthing on them.

What you guys think?

I am talking the 450/451 grind.

Dave400ex
05-26-2003, 04:33 AM
It has been said that many of the engine builders cams are very close to the Web Cams. I think it would work fine...

chad502ex
05-26-2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Sparks425Ex
My engine is just about all set for motor work but I am thinkin about building a hole other engine just to stick in a frame of some sort. I have a EX engine all stock just gotta decide on what I gonna do for engine work.

I was thinkin bout sticking with my EX engine builder(Sparks) But I decided I wanna build it myself.

What do you guys think of WEB Cams? They seem good and not to much bad mouthing on them.

What you guys think?

I am talking the 450/451 grind.

Sparks425EX....
Webcam is a great product, especially their full race grind. I have their woods grind, but plan on changing up to thier full race since my displacement accomadates for the low end grunt. TC's full race grind has the highest valve lift shortest duration I've seen. In other words, you have to be real careful not to tap your piston if you have stroker or hi-comp piston because of the cam pushing the valves open real far. That's why I always "Clay" (see http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chad502ex/techtalk.htm) in my motor and know what cam "lift" I can afford to install. BTW, don't forget to install stiffer valve springs and tops when you install a high performance cam to keep the valves from floating at high RPM's. Hope this help you.

Chad502EX.com

atvmbaca
05-26-2003, 05:04 AM
Is the web cam's wood cam the 450/451 grind??????

chad502ex
05-26-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by atvmbaca
Is the web cam's wood cam the 450/451 grind??????

atvmbaca,

I believe webcam woods cam grind is 479. They have a catalog on their website.

here is a pic

Chad502ex.com

Dave400ex
05-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Chad do you know anything about the TC Woods Cam? I plan on getting that very soon and Tom and all the guys I have talked to say it works great with Stock Valve Springs, and Rockers. I just don't want to have to worry about anything...

chad502ex
05-26-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Chad do you know anything about the TC Woods Cam? I plan on getting that very soon and Tom and all the guys I have talked to say it works great with Stock Valve Springs, and Rockers. I just don't want to have to worry about anything...

Dave, I would reccomend calling TC. All I know is that his grind hit real hard in the top end. As far as the valve springs and hats, I would buy them and install them when the cam is installed. Sears sells a valve spring compression tool for ~$10, so changing valve springs, hats, and cam are a sinch.

Chad502EX.com

atvmbaca
05-27-2003, 06:16 AM
Just wondering if someone can explain to me what the WEB Cams'450/451 grand cam is is it better than a woods cam it doesent look as aggressive as the 479 which is supposto to be the woods cam so to me the 450/451 would be the bottom end power cam I dont know can someone help me out I just want a cam for some trail riding/ hill climing and other, keep in mind I will also be bumping up the comp also, dont like Hotcams just my personal opinion.

atvmbaca
05-27-2003, 10:30 AM
Can someone help me out what is the difference from the web cams wood cam vrs the 450/451 grind !!!!! It was stated earley that the 479 is the wood cam but if you look at their spec's it look more aggressive than the 450/451 which to me the 450/451 would be the one for woods riding .

chad502ex
05-27-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by atvmbaca
Can someone help me out what is the difference from the web cams wood cam vrs the 450/451 grind !!!!! It was stated earley that the 479 is the wood cam but if you look at their spec's it look more aggressive than the 450/451 which to me the 450/451 would be the one for woods riding .

atvmbaca,
the 479 woods cam is a more agressive cam down low (for low end thump) than the 450 grind (which is use for top end of the powerband range; hi RPM's). The 450/451 grind is the "Full Race" cam and is designed to open your valves further and with shorter duration; thus, holding in as much compression as possible until the last moment. the 479 open longer and gobbles as much air as possible down low; thus, providing the bottom end torque need for woods trailing.

450/451 Full Race for TT or Drag, or good for Stroker motors which have plenty of torque)
479 Woods

Hope this helps. :)

Chad502ex.com

05-27-2003, 12:47 PM
The web cams mentioned in this thread are bad arse but just keep in mind they are NOT drop in cams like most cams talked about on the board.. But they do put out some power...:macho

honda250xrider
05-27-2003, 01:15 PM
i would recommend web cams to anyone!, ive only had good things to say about them

atvmbaca
05-28-2003, 06:46 AM
So what would you guys recommend for trail riding and some hill climing and just some raceing around.

atvmbaca
05-28-2003, 06:48 AM
sorry I forgot to add this in my previous reply bascialy I just want to add more power everywhere bottom mid top I dont know if this is possible what do you think RICO!!!