PDA

View Full Version : Racing around in a small circle

kc 300EX
01-02-2002, 03:20 PM
This saturday, my cousin is going to be racing his 330EX around in a little tiny oiled circle on the orange county fair grounds, flat track i guess u would call it, sounds kind of interesting, and I am invited along. Niether of us are prepared AT ALL. I know there are no age restrictions and not too many rules or regulations, its not very organized as I understand. Sounds like it could be an experience. I am just wondering if anyone can give me any advice if I decide to do it. Ill have my bald Holeshots on the back of my quad, wich is stock width, I guess the only thing I can really do is get some tie downs and crank my quad down, try to make my quad not tip over around the turns.
My only engine mods are a WB E exaust jet kit, K&N airfilter and air box mods. I dont expect to be the fastest quad out, but maybe just have some fun.
Any Tips or suggestions would be appreciated, if none then just wish me luck

MikeL250X
01-02-2002, 04:26 PM
Hey KC, what time does that start, I'd liek to come see.. hmm maybe even take a couple laps on my 250... or convince my friend to let me take his shiney new 400ex :D haha like that will happen, does it cost anything to race?

004exkid
01-02-2002, 07:15 PM
ALot of people talk about using ratchet straps, but i think the suspension is there for a reason. I not sure if u will hook as wekk on the start wihtout it. I would flip your front rims around and use alot of body english. have fun

kc 300EX
01-03-2002, 01:20 PM
004exkid-thanx for the advise, i think im gonna try flipping my rims around

Mike, Im not sure what time it starts yet, there is a practice tomorow night(fri.) then the race is on Saturday, my cousin is calling and getting all the details, you do have to pay to race, somewhere between 12 and 20 dollars it was last year, there are also Dirt bike races too, I watched last year, it was pretty cool, 5 dollars to watch I think
Me and my cousin will be riding this weekend too, saturday morning and sunday, maybe we could hook up and ride then if nothing else, Were the 15 year old Punks on matching 300EXs if you happen to see us somewhere

004exkid
01-03-2002, 03:11 PM
I want and full race report when you come back:macho

HOT ROD
01-04-2002, 03:42 PM
You will want to setup your bike. If the track is turning left all the time then Let some air out of the left tires and put more air in the right tires. vise versa if your turning right all the time. Use bungee straps to pull the bike as low to the ground as possible. Compress the shocks as much as possible. adjust your outer front shock to firm up the spring. Losen the inner shock as much as possible. All this will help shift the weight to the inside rear wheel that the engine is supplying power to. Good luck.

kc 300EX
01-07-2002, 04:12 PM
Wel I did it and WOW, it was a lot different than I thought! There the 36 quads in the Quad Amateur class, ranging from stock polarises and blasters, to totally tricked out lowered Banshees and Raptors. There were 6 heats that were chosen out of a hat as a lottery type of thing. Each heat had 6 quads, the first second and third places from those heats go onto the main, the A main, the B main and the C main, A is all the firsts B is all the seconds etc.

Anyway, I ended up in the 5th heat of QuadAm. I raced a lowered sway barred hoosiered 300EX, 250R, Warrior, and Raptor. Plus a lowered polaris Sport.

I started out 4th from the line, the green light lighted, I was out to third, I held 3rd for 3 laps, but the raptor had spun out, when we all went around to lap him, I got boxed in, I ended up SLAMMING into the Raptor and slammed nto the back of my the Warrior, I got thrown off my quad, sprawled out into the middle of the track, my quad flew into the wall, I jumped up as fast as I could and hopped on my quad, remember i needed a 3rd place! Anyway, since it was a bad wreck, they restarted the race, except now there were only 5 quads left and they started me about 20 feet behind everyone else cause the restart was my fault somehow.
I was a mad at that point and ready to race.
When they restarted I was in last, luckily the Polaris and the 300EX got tangled up, that put me in 4th, but at the last lap, the Polaris and the 300 had just got untagled and were in the middle of the track, the Warrior went around way outside, I said screw that and jumped the tires on the inside, that put me in front of the Warrior and I ended up third without knowing it, I didnt even know who beat me, but I qualified for the next race.

The next race there were 7 quads total, me, 2 400EXs, another Raptor, another polaris, suzuki quad racer nad a weird modded blaster, that race was just crazy, some bad wrecks, the last restart, they lined us up in a straight line, Blaster in front, then the polaris, then the Suzuki, then the 2 400s. the Raptor broke and was out. i held on to the third place position and thats where I finished, behind the polaris and Blaster, but in front of the Quad racer and 2 400EXs

NJ300ex
01-07-2002, 05:10 PM
what was the track like and what did you do to your 300

kc 300EX
01-07-2002, 05:40 PM
The track was indoors, the walls were made of ply with 55 gallon drums behind them filled with cement so they couldnt move, it was a fairly small oval, shaped like a Nascar track with stands on the sides. Tires in the corners. The floor of the building is all cement. They spray Coke syrup on the cement, thats stuff makes you STICK right to the track, its almost impossoble to slide.

My 300EX had my normal mods on it, E-series Exaust, k&N air filter and Jet kit, I had my Bald Holeshots on the back like I said before. I couldnt do anything to my quad really, I had no time to prepare, I just got some tie downs, and I cranked my quad down as low as it would go, and that was it.

There is another race this saturday, hopefully Ill get my front wheels flipped around. i am thinking of copying some of the other racers and replacing my shocks with a short steel bar, seemed like it worked good enough.

HOT ROD-Thanx for the advice, Ill try lowering the air pressure in my left tire, and if I dont use the bar idea Ill try the shock suggestion

400exJOE
01-10-2002, 03:39 PM
this sounds pretty crazy! Were is the race located in NY??? I live in the capital region (albany area). Is the race anywhere around me? Also, how crazy are these guys? I dont want to travel 2 hours to wreck my quad or anything like that. Thanks

NJ300ex
01-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Its in orange county so it will be pretty far for you.

kc 300EX
01-10-2002, 06:56 PM
yeah, Id say its too far for you. But check around locally, i mean, theyre must be something going on near you, Albany and all. Check the paper and listen to local radio stations, thats how I found out about this race, was from the radio.

kc 300EX
01-12-2002, 08:57 PM
OK, I raced again this weekend, half knowing what i was doing, wich was nice.

In the first race I raced against 4 other quads, a Raptor, a 300EX, a Warrior, and a Polaris sport 400.
I started out first, held it for about 3 laps, then the Raptor(wich had a pipe, extended a-arms and Hoosiers all around, sway bar) yeah, he ended up passing me on the outside, blew by me, and took off, I ended up finishing second

Finishing second turned out bad, cuz I got put in with all the other second placers in the next race. I raced a 400EX, a Banshee, a Quadzilla, another Raptor and a blaster(far from stock, widened everything, very fast, aslo raced in the pro class)
I started on the outside, needless to say I did not do good, I was in last
I noticed a nice slick of gas going down the track, one of the quads was leaking, gas makes the track slick wich is VERY dangerous on this track, 2 quads hit part of the slick, BAM both sent into the wall, the race was red flagged, I ended up with a 4th place.

rossano
01-17-2002, 08:14 AM
hello-
i tried finding info on the web and i couldn't. i got a couple of guys from westchester county that would like to check this racing out. what's the phone #? do they have a web site? is the schedule on the website?

thanx for any help!

-rossano

rrider7399
01-17-2002, 08:56 AM
Try looking for a link on www.flattrackmac.com
Look under the tracks listings.
Good luck
rrider7399

01-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Did you get dizzy???