PDA

View Full Version : Losing power Part 2:getting oil in intake

Sick0
05-25-2003, 04:23 PM
I know how to jet the carbs. I had my stock carb dialed in good, but I switch to an aftermarket carb thats I didn't muck knowlage about. But anyways. my motors have nothing to do with the carb. I was looking over the motor to see why it wouldn't run. I notice oil coming from the air filter. I take off the air filter and notice about a 1/4-1/2 quart of oil. Well I think this had some thing to do with it. I was trying to see where the oil was coming from. I notice that the breather was full of oil. So Geuss theis why the quad would run good for a while then start to smoke and lose power. I was thinking that this caused the motor to have to burn a good amout of oil, making it smoke and making the motor stall out and run like crap. also I was losing oil causing the motor to heat up for the lack of oil. also the plug was getting fouled out with burning motor oil.

Now my question is how is the oil getting forced into the motor, is this a know problem.

This had happen to both the stock carb that is jetted good and theaftermaket,

The funny thing is the didn't after aI put on the stock carb on. so I'm think my rings and head sare still in good shape.`

Sick0
05-26-2003, 11:15 AM
BUMP

Does any body know why oil is getting in to my intake. or how oil could makes its way through my breather tube into my intake.

Ryan
05-26-2003, 11:46 AM
I had a similar problem. It happened awhile ago so I forget alot of the details. All I remember is I think there was some sort of gasket blown in the bottom end that caused the oil to flow into the motor.

Sorry I can't give you further details. I have the answer to the problem writtin down somewhere, i'll take a look to see if I can find it.

Sick0
05-26-2003, 11:49 AM
thanks for a responce anyways.

Ryan
05-26-2003, 11:58 AM
I found that part that I had to get. You might need a new Crank seal and a crank seal spacer.

Hope this helps.

Sick0
05-26-2003, 12:10 PM
Are ypu talking about the gaskets when you talk about seals.

Ryan
05-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
Are ypu talking about the gaskets when you talk about seals.

Yeah, basically the same thing.

Sick0
05-26-2003, 02:42 PM
so did this happen to your blaster or 400ex. Is there any othere way to fix this problem. I done want to splite the case because of this.

Sick0
05-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Does anybody else have an idea on whats causing this problem or can add to this.

Alls I know is the my quad when it runs smokes so bad. at one points yesterday I couldn't see my hands and somebody almost landed on me when they couldn't see me when my quad staled.

Ryan
05-27-2003, 10:58 AM
This happened to my Blaster.

It could possibly be something else. I don't see how the oil got into your air filter?

If its just smoking alot and running kinda chitty, it could just be your piston rings.

How bad is it running? With mine, I couldn't get the rpm's up at all. It ran alright when it was idling but once I tried driving it, it ran terribly.

Sick0
05-27-2003, 11:07 AM
I don't thinks is my rings. The quad idled good. with no smoke. but Why I went to go use it and rided around it would start to smoke bad. Like you can't see in fron of you bad. Right after I was pulled off of thetrack I start to fix my quad for the first race. I puts a stock carb on it( I though the aftermarket was too lean and thats why it was smoking)and clean out the intake. I started the 400 up and ran great with no smoke. Then I started to ride it around and is start to smoke and die out.

05-27-2003, 11:16 AM
i have never split my cases....but behing the cylinder on the engine..the crankcase breather...if oil i getting into you snorkel and in your air filter....then im sure its coming from there, not sure how buts thats gott be it...o yea dn its prolly sucking in a little bit of that oil when you give it gas(faster air flow, sucks in more oil) so that could be why also:confused:

jchevy
05-27-2003, 11:24 AM
You might have excessive blow by, causing oil to be forced up the crank case vent into the intake. This is the only way i can see any oil getting into the air intake. There is just no other possible way that i can think of. How many hours are on the bike, probably time for a rebuild, or atleast new rings.

Try disconnecting that vent and going for a short ride. and see what happens DOnt forget to put some sort of a breather on the case and plug the open hole in the air intake.

Dirt
05-27-2003, 11:49 AM
First of all blasters and 400s completely diffrent. If your machine has been cared for and doesn't have too many hours on it, I would lean towards something other than the rings. Is the quad overfilled with oil? Sounds like you have a problem with the oil system, your motor is prob keeping too much oil in the trans/bottom end. There is a little bolt on your side case on the clutch side, towards the bottom front, facing out. I think the bolt is 10mm. That is to check the oil level in the engine when it is running. Take it out while at idle on flat ground....

Dirt
05-27-2003, 12:20 PM
The bolt circled with yellow is the bolt I mentioned before....With the quad warm and at idle (on flat ground) remove the bolt. The oil should barely come out of the hole if at all. the oil level is supposed to be even with the threads on the bottom of the hole, or about. If you have excessive oil coming out of the hole it is a problem with your dry sump system.... :confused2

chad502ex
05-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Dirt
The bolt circled with yellow is the bolt I mentioned before....With the quad warm and at idle (on flat ground) remove the bolt. The oil should barely come out of the hole if at all. the oil level is supposed to be even with the threads on the bottom of the hole, or about. If you have excessive oil coming out of the hole it is a problem with your dry sump system.... :confused2

Dirt,...

HEY, you painted a yellow dot on my motor. LOL!!

Chad502EX.com

Sick0
05-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
i have never split my cases....but behing the cylinder on the engine..the crankcase breather...if oil i getting into you snorkel and in your air filter....then im sure its coming from there, not sure how buts thats gott be it...o yea dn its prolly sucking in a little bit of that oil when you give it gas(faster air flow, sucks in more oil) so that could be why also:confused:

This whats I was saying was happening but I don't whats causing this problem.

Sick0
05-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Dirt
First of all blasters and 400s completely diffrent. If your machine has been cared for and doesn't have too many hours on it, I would lean towards something other than the rings. Is the quad overfilled with oil? Sounds like you have a problem with the oil system, your motor is prob keeping too much oil in the trans/bottom end. There is a little bolt on your side case on the clutch side, towards the bottom front, facing out. I think the bolt is 10mm. That is to check the oil level in the engine when it is running. Take it out while at idle on flat ground....

Well I'm having also having problems with two lines in the middle leaking oil. Its has new seals. But thats bottom bolt is 6mm (8mm head), well thats bolt had vibrated out so I put a similair bolt in place of it. To be honest I didn't really know whats the perpose of the bolt, I figured is was something for the xr dirt bike thats was left on. Could this wrong have some thing to do with the problem.

Plus I think this has been happing for a couple of weeks now. The bike start to lose power and every week got worst and worst. The motor only has about 2-3 months on it. so I hope it ain't the topend.

jchevy
05-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Do a compression test.

Sick0
05-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by jchevy
Do a compression test.

I was thinking about doing one, What would the psi for a 416 10.8 piston be??

jchevy
05-27-2003, 03:20 PM
shouldnt be anly less than 150 psi, probably be around 180? Not totally sure it depends on a few different things. But if your getting less than 140 or 150 there is a problem.

Sick0
05-27-2003, 03:25 PM
I will have to give it a try.

TRX_Thumper
05-27-2003, 03:55 PM
i know on some bikes standing them up on the grabar will cause the oil to come out of the breather...and into the airbox

kineo3
05-28-2003, 08:17 AM
I have this same problem. No one I have talked to has been able to answer me yet. I have just put new rings in and problem still exists. I could not be more frustrated. I am just going to by-pass the crankcase overflow with a longer hose and a little filter on the end. I hope if I put it high enough on my frame it will not blow oil all the way out of it. If it does I will probably hold it to the pin until the motor self destructs.:devil:

Sick0
05-28-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by kineo3
I have this same problem. No one I have talked to has been able to answer me yet. I have just put new rings in and problem still exists. I could not be more frustrated. I am just going to by-pass the crankcase overflow with a longer hose and a little filter on the end. I hope if I put it high enough on my frame it will not blow oil all the way out of it. If it does I will probably hold it to the pin until the motor self destructs.:devil:

Well I was going to do that for the races..

But the problems is whats causing it. Whats will be the effects of doing this. My motor has be running hot ever since the problem and losing power. If i don't fully understand the problem, I'm not going to just hack some way for it work. What if the oil system ain't working and burn the whole motor. I just want to be on safe side.

Sick0
05-28-2003, 01:56 PM
bump

Sick0
05-30-2003, 10:15 AM
bump

jchevy
05-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Did you try that compression test yet?