PDA

View Full Version : cam sprocket & camshaft

wscotthougland
01-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Can anyone help me out? I have had to do some minor motor repairs to my 400ex. My problem is that when I took the cam sprocket off of the cam I forgot to look at which side the timing mark went to. I have the repair manually and it doesn't say one way or the other, it just shows how to set the timing by using the marks on the cam sprocket.
Thanks for any help, Scott

01-03-2002, 12:25 AM
With the timing mark (on the flywheel) lined up with the small t,
put the camchain gear into the chain ( with the 3 lines faceing towards the outside of the engine), slide the cam into the gear ( lobes facing down) make sure the marks on the gear are lined up like the picture in the book, start one bolt and just snug it, rotate the engine counter clockwise until you can start & snug the 2nd bolt, rotate eng again until you can get to the 1st bolt & torque it.
rotate eng again & trque 2nd bolt. It is a good idea to use a threadlocker on both bolts for the cam gear.
double check by rotating eng again to line up the t make in the little hole & verify that the cam gear marks line up with the head. (if it doesnt line up the first time then you may be on the exhaust stroke, just rotate 1 more time & it should line up fine.)

wscotthougland
02-14-2002, 03:02 PM
I was going to put my engine back together and was reading the comments in the attached thread "got it apart, now can I put it back together" and it appears to be the exact opposite of what I was told orginally:confused: Now I am really confused! Could someone help and let me know which way is right.

Thanks Scott

http://forums.exriders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8200

Blackguywithouta400
02-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Ok buddy look at the post above follow the link.
put the motor on TDC , align the sprocket with the head, and your all set, there will be a page that shows you the cam direction on TDC then your all set from there.