PDA

View Full Version : Z400 motor in a 400EX

ride_red_5400ex
05-25-2003, 12:24 PM
I was thinking if a Z400 motor wold fit in a 400EX frame cause i was thinking that if it did that would be a kick a## quad.

AtvMxRider
05-25-2003, 12:36 PM
The z400 frame is just a copy of a ex's frame basically.

cheetah
05-25-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ride_red_5400ex
I was thinking if a Z400 motor wold fit in a 400EX frame cause i was thinking that if it did that would be a kick a## quad.

I was thinking it would be a z400.

The frames are nearly identical with the exception of shock lengths and things like that.

remlapr
05-25-2003, 01:03 PM
Why bother? The power gain isn't going to be that much - only real gain would be the liquid cooling....

toby400ex
05-25-2003, 01:06 PM
lol, it would basically be a z400 with a frame that doesnt crack, and it would look better.

stocktires
05-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Well, It could prolly be done with some work. Personally I would buy a Z motor just to do the swap. But if you have a totaled Z or blew a 400ex motor and wana lil better replacement, go for it!
The Z chassis sux, thats well know, and the 400ex's motor isnt really up to par.
I'd say try and get ahold of a Z motor so you can check out how it mounts and see if you could mount it and the ex motor mounts still have enough strenght for the motor which I would believe is heavier than the EX motor. Also ask YZF/crf converters about their radiator set-ups.
good luck!

wolrahnaes
05-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Aside from the previously mentioned liquid cooling, I think reverse would be a great gain from this swap. If I could find a Z motor, I would swap it in with no second thought

Pappy
05-25-2003, 01:22 PM
it would require slight modifacation and new mounts....but id say it would work. the radiator shouldnt be too much trouble to mount but id be concerned that the front plastic may not accomodate it very well:ermm:

id choose an R frame instead.....

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-25-2003, 01:24 PM
That would be the most retarted conversion quad I ever heard of.

remlapr
05-25-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
lol, it would basically be a z400 with a frame that doesnt crack, and it would look better.

yeah - it's prett bad when they do a big magazine article on how to re-enforce the z400 frame LOL. Now a z400 engine in a R frame could be interesting, say Pappy - don't you have a R project starting right now :devil:

Pappy
05-25-2003, 01:36 PM
haha yes i do:cool:

but i wouldnt do that swap. ;) the 400 frame does ok but applying a chit load more power to it is askin for trouble. the crf and yzf conversions will see problems id care to bet. if i was serious about the z400 engine id start with a stock Z and fix what sucksuki didnt:macho the lower stem area is very very weak. the frame is almost identical from the front frame post back except the risers near the riders legs are at a steeper angle. im not sure why they did this. it appears to me that places more stress forward...

id say to do it right...drop the cash and get an aftermarket chassis and build it once:scary:

Sick0
05-25-2003, 03:57 PM
Why is this convertion so retarded. You will get a motor thats is liquid cooled, double over head cam, push button start, reverse.

I don't know whats the drz 400 motor makes, but I would think it could be built to make the same amount of power as a crf/yzf motor. Look Doug gust has been using the motor for a while while good luck. Look at korey ellis has been doing pretty good with his. I would think a few years the motors will probly be cheaper thats crf/yzf. Plus I don't like the z-400 chassie or plastic.

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
Why is this convertion so retarded. You will get a motor thats is liquid cooled, double over head cam, push button start, reverse.

Push button start? Sweet! :p ;)

Anyways, the only conversions I like are the dirtbike to quad ones...taking the motor out of one production quad to stick it in another doesn't appeal all that much to me. Sure the Z is a little faster but all that work for a couple HP? Nah. If I were to do it I would want a HUGE increase in power...like a CRF. The Z engine isn't worth all the effort.

Sick0
05-25-2003, 04:29 PM
The Z motor is a high tech dirt bike motor. I don't know how a drz 400 motor compares to a crf or yzf in a dirt bike. I was just thinking it would be somthin diffrent. The motor will probly be cheap soon. motor will built more a quad.

I know using a z motor isn't as cool a otheres. but it may be a good modd thats know body would conciderd.

robby26wi
06-05-2003, 08:41 AM
A high compression 440 z400 motor will made 50 horse at the wheels really easy and the crf is 55 at the crank...do the math...The z400 motor is a great engine and ions above the old school ex motor...