PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm ?

Nausty
05-25-2003, 10:33 AM
The carrier is trashed and i'm sure the swing arm is on its last leg and the axle isn't wide enough so we're just gonna replace everything at once. My question is if its a lot harder to wheelie on the extended swingarms. My dad doesn't think think it will make it much harder to ride wheelies but I think it will. Also Is there a lot better handing for mx when using 1 1/4" extended swingarms?

For the axle i'm gonna go with a rpm dominator w/ race hub, carrier is going to be lsr twin row and swing arm i'm not sure on.

aLSO does anyone know the URL for Walsh Racing or a site that lists walsh products.

TRX_Thumper
05-25-2003, 10:58 AM
i would generally advise you to stay away from the lsr carrier ive not had good luck with them...it only lasted me 2 months and after every ride it was inspected and greased if necessary....

Nausty
05-25-2003, 11:12 AM
What carrier would u suggest? I was thinking rpm but I went to their site and they didn't have one for a 400ex? Not unless a 250r carrier works on a 400ex swingarm?

norrisboat
05-25-2003, 11:34 AM
call rpm. They should have a phone number. I have heard really good things about their service and customer relations.

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-25-2003, 11:42 AM
Their site is under construction. If I were you I would get an RPM Axle with the standard hub. The race one is not necessary, only get it if you have the extra money. For the carrier and swingarm, again go with RPM....I guarantee you will love this setup.

BTW, I'm using their carrier, and axle. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Dave400ex
05-25-2003, 04:45 PM
For the Axle and Carrier go with RPM for sure. For Swingarm look at RPM, Arens, Houser, Walsh, or Laeger...

trx400ex
05-25-2003, 04:53 PM
I have a plus 1 and if your good at wheelies you will barely notice it, i think it helps alot, with starts and whooped or roughed up sections

Nausty
05-25-2003, 05:47 PM
thanks guys, i'll pry go w/ a full rpm set-up since you all talked me into it. Anyone know of a good place to get a discount on their stuff? I wish c&d carried them.

JOEX
05-25-2003, 06:01 PM
My question is if its a lot harder to wheelie on the extended swingarms. My dad doesn't think think it will make it much harder to ride wheelies but I think it will.
I thought that was the whole idea of an extended swing arm... to keep the front end down.
You should be able to find a better price on a carier through the smaller manufacturers. Burgard and Meszmoto are about 150-160.

Joe

Nausty
05-25-2003, 06:56 PM
the meszmoto carrier looks like a good deal. I'm guessing its pry just as good as the rpm?

AFTERMARKET
05-25-2003, 07:51 PM
I bought a RPM Carrier for my 250R and ripped the inner race up inside the carrier thus locking up the Quad :mad: :mad: In the Big dues at Glamis. THEN had to get towed back :grr: When I took it off to swap it with my new spare I noticed that housing was cracked. Long story short ,Went to Duncan pleaded with them and RPM on the phone. I got a new one But only have it as a spare
Good luck.

muff
05-26-2003, 03:25 AM
I got my burgard for $110 shipped :) no probs yet

www.walshracecraft.com is walshs site

rpms stuff sure looks nice tho

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-26-2003, 03:39 AM
I haven't had any trouble with RPM's products.

Dave400ex
05-26-2003, 04:26 AM
The Quadshop carries RPM. I bet if you call RPM and tell them you want to buy a Swingarm, Carrier, and Axle they could get you a pretty good deal. Are you going to get a Locknut too?

lil400exman
05-26-2003, 04:29 AM
lsr makes a good axle and rpm makes a good swinger....................go linkless.............;)

Nausty
05-26-2003, 04:44 AM
I'm looking at meszmoto's site and I think we will get one of their carriers but we're not sure on which one we want. They have two and one they say is heavier duty except its cheaper. Is this right?

http://meszmoto.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?product=mfd-atvab

Also, it looks like they have grease zirks? My stock one doesn't. Will I have to drill a hole in the swingarm if I get one. Do some swingarms come with a hole pre drilled to get to the zirk?

For the swingarm i'm pretty sure i'll go w/ houser because of the price and they seem to have a good product and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go w/ a rpm axle but whats the differance between the dominater and dominator 2 axle? They both have a life time guarentee right?

Also does burgard have a website?

JOEX
05-26-2003, 04:59 AM
I asked him the same question....the heavy duty one is cheaper because it has less machining. Notice the more material in the center compared to the other one.

It think ot's just a marketing ploy along with the zerk fitting....the bearings are sealed. You will probably have to fill up the center with grease though. I have a Burgard with a zerk ($108 shipped
:D ) it came with instructions to fill with grease before using.

As far as grease for maintenance, I don't think it is neccessary.

There was a thread about this a month or two ago, i'll try to find it.

Joe

here it is...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48491&highlight=marketing+and+ploy

trx400ex
05-26-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
I'm looking at meszmoto's site and I think we will get one of their carriers but we're not sure on which one we want. They have two and one they say is heavier duty except its cheaper. Is this right?

http://meszmoto.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?product=mfd-atvab

Also, it looks like they have grease zirks? My stock one doesn't. Will I have to drill a hole in the swingarm if I get one. Do some swingarms come with a hole pre drilled to get to the zirk?

For the swingarm i'm pretty sure i'll go w/ houser because of the price and they seem to have a good product and i'm pretty sure i'm gonna go w/ a rpm axle but whats the differance between the dominater and dominator 2 axle? They both have a life time guarentee right?

Also does burgard have a website?

dom 2 is super strong, almost 700$....i wouldnt go with houser, but thats up to you most swingarms are pretty much the same..

Rpm has the zerk drill out on the swinger

Nausty
05-26-2003, 06:25 AM
yeah, I think I should stay with rpm axle and rpm swingarm and get the meszmoto carrier. Sound good?
I can't find burgards website or a dealer that carries them. IS their carrier just as good as meszmoto? I'm pry gonna get the rpm stuff from the quadshop seeing c&d doesn't carry rpm products.

I don't remember where but I remember hearing from somewhere that one should run a 250r axle over the 400ex style axle.

I'll pry just get the dominator one axle though see they both have a lifetime gurentee right?

JOEX
05-26-2003, 06:29 AM
http://www.qis.net/~harlen/burgard/400EX.html

trx400ex
05-26-2003, 07:29 AM
yeah, dominator has a full warrenty, dom 2 is prolly overkill unless you have piles of money in your garage

muff
05-26-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by trx400ex
yeah, dominator has a full warrenty, dom 2 is prolly overkill unless you have piles of money in your garage

whats the difference?

Nausty
05-26-2003, 08:48 AM
we ordered the meszaros carrier and we are gonna get a rpm dominater axle and swing arm but our last question is if we need a new spacer between the bearings or is it eliminated w/ the new twin row carrier. The stock one is damaged beyond reuse.

400exBro
05-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Nausty look into the JRD swing arm(especailly this one, pic below), they make killer stuff, plus this will lower rear ride height... i am un sure of price, but i think he makes them in +1 ...

www.jrdmech.com

Nausty
05-26-2003, 10:09 AM
yeah, it looks good but I don't need it to lower the ride height because its already pretty low as it is.

AFTERMARKET
05-26-2003, 10:34 AM
That game room/bar that in in the back ground is bad as$!

Nausty
05-26-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by AFTERMARKET
That game room/bar that in in the back ground is bad as$!

:huh

JOEX
05-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Nausty
we ordered the meszaros carrier and we are gonna get a rpm dominater axle and swing arm but our last question is if we need a new spacer between the bearings or is it eliminated w/ the new twin row carrier. The stock one is damaged beyond reuse.
It should come with it already installed.
Are you getting a new lock nut? I recommend getting the one mesz sells. The stock one is pain to remove and I hear once you remove it, it is difficult to keep tight but there are work arounds...something about using electrical or duct tape.

Joe

muff
05-26-2003, 11:22 AM
that jrd swingarm looks pretty trick, i'd like to know how durable they are

400exBro
05-26-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by muff
that jrd swingarm looks pretty trick, i'd like to know how durable they are

they are very durable... it was first a concept of the Roll Lobo 2 swing arm, it except this is a cheapier (price version) of that same swing arm... you see a lot of Pro Am running them... JRD makes some high quilty stuff.. plus i belive it is a no link set up... i am deffently going to buy it and then post a thread about it... plus round tubing is strong...

Nausty
05-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Would I need a special shock or anything with a no link swingarm? I already have ssd on my shocks, would I have to change the springs so it wouldn't sag that much?

muff
05-26-2003, 01:33 PM
as for less sag you can turn down that ring thats at the top of hte springs to get rid of the sag

i dont know about the link/no-link shock set up tho, i think they're different, cause look how the bottom of the 400ex shock is an upside down U, and on that swingarm it looks more like a front shock mount

Nausty
05-27-2003, 03:03 PM
man, now I gotta order all new sprockets, chain AND rear engine mount. YOu know the giant pin in the back between the motor and the frame. ITs bent BAD. That must of been what was causing all that vibration.:o Man as if the axle, carrier and swingarm wern't enough money.:mad:

400exBro
05-27-2003, 03:08 PM
same happens here... you want to spend 500 bucks end up paying over 1 000....

that why my dad keeps saying, (sarcastic voice)stop taking it apart unless that pos honda falls apart... but i need to put in new bearing this winter, found out the carrier was cracked... need new chains and sproket as well, find out that the rotor is bent and srcated to hell... swing arm pivot bolt is bent to ****... rrrr it just keeps adding up... o well gives me a reason to spend money and make the honda better

Nausty
05-27-2003, 03:12 PM
lol, thats exactly how it started. $155 carrier turns into pry $1400 worth of parts.:rolleyes: At least I won't have to mess w/ it forever now other than regular maintnance.