PDA

View Full Version : Cracked my case, What are my options?

Dune Surfer
05-25-2003, 10:33 AM
Well somehow I cracked my right side case, It's leaking oil pretty bad. We tried to do a temporary fix with JB weld but it cracked too.
What are my options, do I have any? have it welded, buy a used motor, pay a shop to replace it?
What do you guys (and girls) think I should do? Money is a little tight so I need the least expensive option. If I had the cash I would have it stroked, but I don't
Help me out with some idea's. I can't stop riding.
thanks

AtvMxRider
05-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Hmmmmm. Where is it cracked at? You can try and have it welded but you have to pull it apart to weld so you might as well get a new or good used case. Damn I'm sorry to hear about that cause I know you were planning on going to St. Anthony's in July:( .

Dune Surfer
05-25-2003, 11:24 AM
here is a pic. you can see where it cracked through the jb weld

Dune Surfer
05-25-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Hmmmmm. Where is it cracked at? You can try and have it welded but you have to pull it apart to weld so you might as well get a new or good used case. Damn I'm sorry to hear about that cause I know you were planning on going to St. Anthony's in July:( .

Oh don't you worry. I'll find a way to go. Even if that means buying a used engine;)

chad502ex
05-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
Oh don't you worry. I'll find a way to go. Even if that means buying a used engine;)

Hey DS,

Looks as though you'll have to split the case for that one. I have to ask, what were you doing to flex the frame and cause it to crack, jumping? Do you have nerf bars? I've seen many motors crack cause the nerfs use the front motor mount and twist on a rock or something. Its also possible to twist the frame with horsepower. Anyhow, I realize your $$$ is tight, but if your going to split the case, install a stroker. Sounds as though you've already decided to replace the motor completely before your next trip. What are you going to do with your old cracked motor if you replace? use it as parts?

Chad502ex.com

Dune Surfer
05-25-2003, 12:43 PM
I wont be able to afford the stroker now. I might just buy the right case and try to install it although the bottom end may be beyond my skill level. If I can find a used engine for the right price. I'll just put my top end on it and keep the other as a project to build as I can afford

Dune Surfer
05-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Oh and yes I did it jumping, I do have nerfs and Yes I pancaked a big jump at Glamis

chad502ex
05-25-2003, 12:59 PM
Oh and yes I did it jumping, I do have nerfs and Yes I pancaked a bid jump at Glamis

sorry to hear that DS

jchevy
05-25-2003, 05:43 PM
Pull off that right side cover and see how much room you have to play with inside there. You might be able to have it welded with it in the bike. Its worth a look.

Dune Surfer
05-25-2003, 06:03 PM
Will a weld hold?

chad502ex
05-26-2003, 04:27 AM
Will a weld hold?

DS,

I agreed with Jchevy about looking to see if you can weld. I've removed the right side cover plenty of times, and if my memory serves me right,...... you'll have to maybe remove the oil pump to get a flow rod in there to weld. I would definitely remove the motor mount bolt before you weld to reduce the stress in that area. Also, it is important to remove all oil before you start to weld with brake cleaner or whatnot...

Good Luck!!

Chad502ex.com

jchevy
05-26-2003, 06:54 AM
I was thinking actually have the weld done on the outside of the case. Just make sure there is nothing on the inside that you are going to overheat when you start to weld.