PDA

View Full Version : Bills 400EX Pipe?

ride red
01-02-2002, 02:17 PM
I just seen a picture of this pipe in the new dirtwheels and it looks like a sweet pipe. Does anyone know anything about this pipe and how it compares to other ones? I have been tryin to decide which kind to put on my 400EX and have no clue which one to go with. Any help would be appreciated!!

Dave400ex
01-02-2002, 02:32 PM
Rico is getting one soon. You can ask him when he gets it. It does look very nice. I don`t think you can go wrong with any aftermarket pipe. They are all better than stock (Not DG and Cobra). I love my TC pipe. It`s an awesome pipe. Great bottom end.

01-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Terry at marcums is getting ready too or is in the process of doing a pipe shootout,,with a bunch of newly released pipes for the 400ex. He said he planned on including the bills thunder pipe in the shootout,,so hold off and keep checkin on his webpage for the results,,once he's done with the pipe shootout I'm gonna buy the bills thunder pipe from him,,,I'll keep ya posted.

Dave400ex
01-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Is the TC Pipe in the Shootout?

400exJOE
01-02-2002, 03:39 PM
i would stay away from the bill's. I saw a dyno in dirtwheels on the raptor and it had the worst performance out of the 12 pipes. I t actually lost power over the stock in top end and was lower than all the other companies across the graph.

Giz400ex
01-02-2002, 04:06 PM
400exJoe, How far upstate are ya???

RideRed04
01-02-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by 400exJOE
i would stay away from the bill's. I saw a dyno in dirtwheels on the raptor and it had the worst performance out of the 12 pipes. I t actually lost power over the stock in top end and was lower than all the other companies across the graph.

Yeah, but we are talking fractions of a horsepower here, you cant tell at all riding it. Did it come on earlier? I think dg and cobra are the only companies that have figgured out how to loose power and not gain anything!:D

Holty
01-02-2002, 06:25 PM
I know my buddy has a Bill's Pipe on his RM125. They are good on Suzuki's, but never heard of them making 4-stroke pipes.

400exJOE
01-02-2002, 06:50 PM
hey Giz400ex, I live 15 mins east of albany. Rensselear county. East greenbush ring a bell? Where are you at? Also, I'm 15, almost 16. You? Anyways, I'm not trying to knock the bills pipe but from the dynos I saw it looks like some better choices could be made.:)

Giz400ex
01-02-2002, 06:59 PM
400exJoe, well I'm about 15mins west of Albany!!! Schenectady ring a bell!!

400exJOE
01-02-2002, 07:01 PM
yeah thats not far (30 minutes away). Where do you ride in the area???

Giz400ex
01-02-2002, 07:09 PM
I sometimes go up in Schoharie and do my trail riding there and then we have a mx track around here thats about 1/2 mile with some pretty good jumps.

400exJOE
01-02-2002, 07:14 PM
sweet. Is it yours or is a mx track that is owned and operated by someone? I ride at a local pit mostly but i can really get around out here with gas lines and train tracks. Actually, i went to jimminy peak mtn. once with some friends but thats a long ride! A lot of road too. Still fun. How often do you ride?

Giz400ex
01-02-2002, 07:29 PM
The land that the track is on is owned by my friends friend father and partners (did that make sense?). Its really private property but people just come in and ride anyways. But, the person is pretty weird sometimes so I don't go there too much because he is an *******!! But, I like riding there once in awhile!!! I try to get in a much riding as I can but only on the weekends. I don't ride on the weekdays with work and everything. Jiminy Peak!! Thats pretty far??? That must of took awhile to get there. Do you ride with a bunch of 400's or do you have a mix!!! Outta about 7-10 4-wheelers there's 3 400's, 4 250r's, 1 250x w/350x motor (sick), 1 warrior!! That I ride with!

Chef
01-02-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by RideRed04

Yeah, but we are talking fractions of a horsepower here, you cant tell at all riding it. Did it come on earlier? I think dg and cobra are the only companies that have figgured out how to loose power and not gain anything!:D

The peak horsepower was about 5 hp difference if I remember correctly. The CT Pipe made like 48.6 peak and the bills made about 43.6

400exJOE
01-02-2002, 07:41 PM
i usually ride w/ 2 blasters, and a recon, although he's getting a sport quad in the spring. Sometimes i ride w/ a 300ex, warrior, and lt 250 too. Jiminy peak is far. I don't plan on doing again because i could probably never find my way again. I cant wait for spring. I'll be able to drive places. Do you know of any hare scrambles or xc races around the area? I really would like to give one a try. I'll be on tomarrow. Hit the chat around 4 maybe. Peace, joe

ride red
01-02-2002, 07:45 PM
Hey Rico thanks for the info, I'll keep checkin his page to see what I can find out and I would really appreciate it if you would keep me posted on it too.

Giz400ex
01-02-2002, 07:51 PM
The only races I know of and are the closes to us is Southwick!!! There might be some flat tracking around here but thats it!! Wait....... I know somebody told me about a Eagle something track around here!! Leo told me 1 time and a friend of mine but I'll have to ask him again!!! and you know what???? I know to many frigin Joe's!!! I'm gonna forget my name is Joe too!!! later

RideRed04
01-02-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by HOTT440EX
The peak horsepower was about 5 hp difference if I remember correctly. The CT Pipe made like 48.6 peak and the bills made about 43.6

Just wondering, which one has more bottom end? You are comparing it to one of the loudest pipes out there, how does it compare to pipes that have the same db level? It may be a bad pipe, so I am trying to learn about it before I call it junk because it doesnt have the top end of a CT pipe...besides, if we where looking for screaming top end, we bought the wrong bike!

01-03-2002, 08:03 AM
I read that same article but the only problem I see, is that was a test on rapturd pipes not 400ex pipes,,so whatever results they got doesn't mean a hill a beans to me, they also stated they were gettin like 15 more ponies out of pipes and a 400ex gets like 3-4 ponies,,big difference so i wouldn't make judgements from pipe tests on a totally different quad, i'll keep ya posted.

MOOCAZEN
01-03-2002, 08:18 AM
DONT GET THE BILLS PIPE, YOUR BETTER OFF GETTING SOMETHING ELSE, SAME AS THE BIGGUN, , TELL HIM TO SELL YOU A CT, SPARKS, OR DMC OR DUNCAN, SINCE HE'S RUNNING A PIPE SHOOTOUT.

Chef
01-03-2002, 05:34 PM
actually, the CT seems to be better all through the powerband...which seems kinda weird to me for some reason...

ride red
01-03-2002, 08:08 PM
After reading some of these replies I'm suprised that a full system does only give 4-5hp gain, I thought it would be alot more. I just put a WB cam, rev box, and JE 11:1 piston in it but didn't bore it, was that a mistake not to bore it? I already have a Yoshi slip on, on it now with a K&N filter. Now is it dumb for me to go spend $400 to $500 on a Curtis Sparks or Bill's Pipe when I already have the Yoshi slip on? Am I going to notice a difference by doing so or am I just wasting my money? Would I be further ahead to go with a carb or something else? I do alot of drag racing and am thinking of racing MX some here this fall and I want to be able to be at least competative, espically when drag racing. Any info. would be appreciated because I have no idea what to do know.

01-04-2002, 07:20 AM
I'd just leave the yoshi on there man. I reread that same article last night,,and they didn't just add a pipe on those rapturds,,some removed air boxes,,some used Dynojet kits,,there are A TON of variables between each pipe. I have a full FMF system and really like it but If I can get a Bills pipe for like $100 new I'm gonna give it a try,,,but if Terry at marcums tells me it's a coffee can,,,that I shouldn't use it then I'll be leaving the PC4 on and be done with it.

01-04-2002, 08:03 AM
Ihave a Big Gun. Makes good power and sounds sweet. It leaks around the inlet cap on the muffler and all the rivets. Come to find out they don't epoxy seal the cap any more. Directions were wrong. You have to take the oil tank loose to get the pipe in. Oh, did I mention the rust after 2 weeks. The owner called me and tried to explain the oversite. Still the advertising was wrong, directions don't work and the pipe rusts. Try sombody else's pipe.

Dave400ex
01-04-2002, 09:27 AM
Keep the Yoshi. I am running a Slip-On TC Racing Pipe. TC told me the Stock Header was very good that there was no reason to replace it unless you have a 440 or Bigger. I think TC still runs a Slip-On with his 440`s. The Stock Header makes good torque is what he told me. Don`t waste your money on a New Pipe. I would get a Carb like you said. You will feel a bigger gain from it. I would get the 39mm FCR. I haven`t heard one bad thing about it. If you would of got a 416 bore piston there would have been more of a power increase. So if you still want more power the 416 Piston would have been the way to go.

ride red
01-05-2002, 02:39 PM
If I do go with a new carb like the 39mm FCR, I heard that they will give around 4-5 hp. Now is this on the bottom, top end or is it the whole way through? Also how much am I looking at for a new carb and will a notice a differnece or it is minimal? I thought I heard someone say there was a test done in dirtwheeles on differnet carbs but I can't find it in none of my issues, does anyone know which issue it was? Thanks!!!

Dave400ex
01-05-2002, 05:56 PM
If you go with a Carb you should feel a gain all the way through. The 39mm FCR carb is $450 from Sparks Racing. You should notice a good difference in Power. I know Gabe (86atc250r) has the FCR Carb and he said it made a huge difference. The Carb test was in 4 Wheel ATV Action. That`s why you couldn`t find it. It was the Jan. 2002 issue.

Leo
01-05-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
The only races I know of and are the closes to us is Southwick!!! There might be some flat tracking around here but thats it!! Wait....... I know somebody told me about a Eagle something track around here!! Leo told me 1 time and a friend of mine but I'll have to ask him again!!! and you know what???? I know to many frigin Joe's!!! I'm gonna forget my name is Joe too!!! later

http://www.ebmx.net

Leo

Giz400ex
01-05-2002, 08:53 PM
There it is!!! Thanks Leo!!