PDA

View Full Version : A-Arms or shocks first?? Advice Appreciated!

Pepto_Bismol
01-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Ok, I'm convinced on getting Houser +2 A-Arms, and I'm also eventually getting new shocks,(or vice versa) probably works triple rates, or MB Elka triple rates with adj comp. BUT, I can only afford to do A-Arms OR shocks at a given time. Which is the best to buy first, can stock shocks handle the +2 A-Arms. I weigh 175lbs, and like to jump my quad, and also ride at the track MX style. As of yet, I don't think I've bottomed out, and I get some pretty good air. Will +2 stress the stockers too much. (I can't not jump, it's just in me :) Any suggestions??? Thanks Pep. Anyone else done this, someone said "Thumper" has, but I do not know who he is.

BTW, thanks to those of you who helped me with my other thread for A-Arms.
:cool:
PS. I just ordered a Yoshimura slip on and K&N power kit from Marcums, look for possible question on that soon :p .

Scott
01-02-2002, 02:02 PM
If you got shocks designed for stock a-arms and your weight and riding style, then later you go to +2 a-arms, you would be changing the front end travel and geometry that the shocks were built for. So they wouldn't work as well. Seems to me like it is a package deal. Either one affects the other, so ideally you would want to change both.
But maybe I'm missing something.

I don't ride mx, so for me the choice would be easy, shocks. The +2 a-arms wouldn't gain me as much as the shocks would.

400exRacerX
01-02-2002, 02:30 PM
Your better off saving for both and buying them together. Because if you get the shocks first then when you do get the +2 a arms you will need to send them out to get revalved. But if you get the +2 a arms first you will be putting too much leverage on the stock shocks and would be constitly bottoming.

01-02-2002, 02:39 PM
well heres what you can do to fix this delima you got. You can get the shocks now and get +1 A-arms later and they'll all match up perfect. That's what I did,,got the works steelers first for stock arms,,,got the +1 houser arms later,,mounted up the shocks went riding and they worked great,,this is probably the ONLY way you can get what you want without buying the complete front end at one time..

Dave400ex
01-02-2002, 03:10 PM
I agree with 400exRacerX. Just save and buy them at the same time.

004exkid
01-02-2002, 06:42 PM
If you NEED to only get one at a time I would do the shocks. Get them set up for +2 and the set the compression full soft. It might be alittle harsh but you shouldnt be able to bottom them :D

Houser Cannondale
01-16-2002, 06:16 PM
I am considering gettin new front suspension soon and am having the same trouble. What I am thinking of doing is getting the +2 a-arms first and just turing the preload all the way up on my stock shocks. Then later on gettting works shocks. Hope this helps.

Holty
01-16-2002, 09:16 PM
what kind of +1 a-arms do you have?? and do you have any pics?? also, what kind of shocks do you have?? thanks

01-17-2002, 06:06 AM
I have houser racing arms and works triple rate shocks..

01-17-2002, 06:06 AM
here's another from the side...

Holty
01-17-2002, 08:30 AM
looks good man :)

if you don't mind me asking........how much did that setup cost you?? arms, bushings, tie rods, shocks, etc.........?

01-17-2002, 08:46 AM
The shocks cost like $500 and the A-arms were right around $500 also.

MOOCAZEN
01-17-2002, 09:29 AM
OH AND GET THE MUSCLE DAMPNER BY SPEEDRACING (RICO):D

01-17-2002, 09:47 AM
I would have mentioned that but he didn't have any questions regarding dampners.