PDA

View Full Version : Question on lifted trucks...

05-24-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey, I have wondered this for a while now. When you lift a truck and put oversize tires on it, do you have to re-calibrate the speedometer, or how does this work? You see lifted trucks every day, but yet you wonder just how thorough these people are:rolleyes: Plus, I will be buying my first truck soon, and would like to know some tips and tricks in the lifting/tire/exhaust categories.

I already know what I am doing interior/trailer/and engine-wise. I am currently looking into audio and engine stuff.Also I am looking into insurance (yikes!:eek2: )

Thanks for the input!

Nausty
05-24-2003, 03:50 PM
if you put bigger tires on you have to recalibrate your speedo

05-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Huh. I thought so. Any idea how?

AFTERMARKET
05-24-2003, 05:09 PM
I had a few Lifted trucks. Now Im going to lift my F350.
Anyways. Sometimes you have to recal. your spedo. some times you dont. Depends on how high your going. And if you decide to go high make sure you adjust your headlights. On my last dodge I only got 8 MPG around town. So watch your gas bill!!!!!!!!
I can't really answer too much more unless you list out your plans.
Rim/ tire size?
Truck?
Lift?

haydug
05-25-2003, 02:30 AM
Depending on your truck, I've lifted several and usually use a hypertech "power programmer", it lets you calibrate for different tire size. The new Duramax is a little different though, so far the tech-4 is the only way I've seen to do it.

05-25-2003, 06:00 AM
Wow, thanks. I have looked at these computer programmer systems, and I didn't realize you could adjust your speedometer with one.

As far as my truck will go- here are my plans so far.

The truck will most likely be a Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton. Short bed with extended cab, 4X4 of course, possibly a Z71 model, with the 350 ci engine and an auto trans. If I get lucky, it will be a 454. It will be from a 1992- up.

Engine: Nothing internal unless it needs it, a power chip/programmer, electric radiator fan, K&N intake system, custom exhaust (I am thinking side exit)

4" body lift (mfg. pending)
33*12.5*16.5 BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A tires (load range D)

The rest of the stuff is blah blah blah like Chrome nerf bars (for the ladies :D ),Spray-in bedliner, chrome rocker panels, etc.

Basically, it will be a good looking daily driver that I can pull a trailer loaded with quads and gear, and I can play around off road.

Thanks.

TheRedRebel17
05-25-2003, 06:27 AM
I'd HIGHLY recomdend yo not going witha a 4 in. body lift. IMO 2 or 3 is way too much for a body lift, much less a 4 inch. You would be better off saving some money and getting a 4 inch lift, allowing you go get some 35's. Any clue on what gearing you are looking at?

05-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Ahh, is that not a very good structural idea, or just that things don't work the way they did when it was stock? My friend has a 91 F 150 with a 3 inch body lift, and I liked how it rode and drove. I just wanted to be taller :D

As far as gearing, I wasn't planning on changing it. That is, until I drive it and see how it goes, a change may be warranted. But, I really didn't want it to get too tall, since it will be a daily driver, and I will be fresh to driving. I am only 14 right now, so it will be a project truck. As I make money, I buy more parts. I have a few trucks that I am looking at right now, so we will see how that goes.

Thanks.

killed300ex
05-25-2003, 02:01 PM
im in the same boat exept im going right into the engine this winter. IM lookiung to buy a chevy 1500 or 2500. Id rather the 2500 but oh well anyone know it 31 inch tires will fit on a stock chevy 1/2 ton im prolly going to end up with a 1993 chevy 1500 350 5 spd. Going to look at it tom and possible buy it :D but i alraedy have in store for it
1) Body work derust the entire thing
2) Fresh coat of paint
3) WEtakoly neoprene seat covers
4) Kick *** sterio system with 2 12 inch mtx subs and alpine deck
5) a mild exaust system (state is cracking down on aftermarket pipes and ticketing for them)
6) complete rebuild of engine with new pistons rings valves cam ect the works... heavy duty clutch
7) intake prolly k&n
8) computer chip
9) tow package
10) spray in bed lined with bed rails
11) oversized tires prolly only 31 inch
After that its gonna be to feed this thing with gas lol i have a feeling this will prollly be a 2-3 year project. but i definitly want to have steps 1 2 9 10 done by next winter or as soon as i get the truck

Any suggestions on what else i should do. Anything im missing thanks
killed

TheRedRebel17
05-25-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by killed300ex
im in the same boat exept im going right into the engine this winter. IM lookiung to buy a chevy 1500 or 2500. Id rather the 2500 but oh well anyone know it 31 inch tires will fit on a stock chevy 1/2 ton im prolly going to end up with a 1993 chevy 1500 350 5 spd. Going to look at it tom and possible buy it :D but i alraedy have in store for it
1) Body work derust the entire thing
2) Fresh coat of paint
3) WEtakoly neoprene seat covers
4) Kick *** sterio system with 2 12 inch mtx subs and alpine deck
5) a mild exaust system (state is cracking down on aftermarket pipes and ticketing for them)
6) complete rebuild of engine with new pistons rings valves cam ect the works... heavy duty clutch
7) intake prolly k&n
8) computer chip
9) tow package
10) spray in bed lined with bed rails
11) oversized tires prolly only 31 inch
After that its gonna be to feed this thing with gas lol i have a feeling this will prollly be a 2-3 year project. but i definitly want to have steps 1 2 9 10 done by next winter or as soon as i get the truck

Any suggestions on what else i should do. Anything im missing thanks
killed

I believ you can fit 33's stock with the torsion bars maxed, althoguh it doesn't ride well at that setting, but it will work

WildCatRacer
05-25-2003, 06:40 PM
I was just wondering if some people could help me out here... I havent really looked around yet, but I wanted some ball park figures on some stuff. how much does a 6-9" lift cost (installed)and how much for a decent set of tires and wheels (33-35"). hopefully buying a 99 or newer chevy full size soon. I looked at a quadra steer yesterday, but a little more than I wanna spend + I plan on putting in about 8k in extras.

05-26-2003, 04:15 AM
You will probably spend a grand on a set of tires and wheels, and probably 2.5 on that lift, installed. That is about where I have been seeing the numbers accumulate.