PDA

View Full Version : Engine Builders...Engine Builders???

Sparks425Ex
05-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Well I hate to say it but I have gotten rid of the ole Sparks engine. I was planning on parting out my quad and getting an R or building a CRF.

Well I started to part it out and now I am keeping it. The engine went fast. I have a brane New Stock 2003 400Ex engine.

I was gonna go with Sparks Again but I don't wanna wait.(The first time I had a Hook Up, Not anymore)

I am thinking about TC but there is another big wait.

What else should I look into?

Here are some I was thinking about.

GT Thunder
Pro Fab
Hetricks(One Of My Sponsors)
TC

For anyone with on of their 400Ex engines let me know what kinda numbers you are seeing on the dyno. It will be a 416 again or maybe bump up to a 425.

Let me know what you guys would get. In the end I gonna decide I just wanna see what ya guys are running and how they are running.

Personally I don't think much is gonna take my Ole Sparks...(She was a ripper)

abcracing
05-23-2003, 04:31 PM
look into FDO racing. they are located in ohio. mike is an awsome guy to work with and builds some of the best motors. if you don't believe me look at who is doing the motor work for the project quad on this website. there # is 740-967-1078. ask for mike and he can help you with all your questions and prices.

JD400exrider
05-23-2003, 04:54 PM
My friend is having his motor built by FDO right now. 493 I think. I have talked to mike also at FDO. Great guy full of info. Worth talking to. I would have sent him my head for porting but i was in to much of a hurry.

If you are building a 416 try a 440 stroker or just buy all the parts from sparks for the 416 and send the head off for porting. Just a thought.
Good luck

Ben
05-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Yep, I recommend FDO - the owner and builder Mike is extremely honest and friendly and will tell you exactly what you need to do to get your motor where you want it to be. They are building the EXriders Project 400ex engine to a 463, I will be picking it up next weekend and I cannot wait. From what I hear it is a monster! :D Another great thing about FDO is that you aren't going to wait 6+ months to get your motor back, like from some of the other builders. ;)

bradley300
05-24-2003, 03:20 AM
also try rocky ridge racing. from what i hear thier 416 will take evey piece of your old sparks motor. they dont have a website, but do a search on here to find the phone number

05-24-2003, 06:27 AM
Try FDO I have been running there motors for three years now and have loved ever motor combination I have ran from there. The reliabilty is great price is right with good turn around time.

Dave400ex
05-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Yep I would give FDO a try, or call Rocky Ridge and see if they could get the TC parts any faster...

Diedrich
05-24-2003, 06:14 PM
i've heard alot of good things about the FDO motors. i like ProFab too. i had a 300ex engine that had one of their 330 kits in it and it would straight up rip. they have good prcies too

haydug
05-25-2003, 02:27 AM
You should call FDO, I have a 440 done by them, and can beat a crf or yzf in a drag race easily. This bike rips. He has built me several motors, with NO reliability problems at all. I have tried a few other motor builders(no names) with very limited luck holding together. Mike built me a 330 ex that I ran for 6 months before selling, that guy rode it in GNCC for 1 1/2 year before adjusting his valves wrong and trashing the topend.

cheetah
05-25-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by haydug
You should call FDO, I have a 440 done by them, and can beat a crf or yzf in a drag race easily. This bike rips. He has built me several motors, with NO reliability problems at all. I have tried a few other motor builders(no names) with very limited luck holding together. Mike built me a 330 ex that I ran for 6 months before selling, that guy rode it in GNCC for 1 1/2 year before adjusting his valves wrong and trashing the topend.

If you don't mind me asking, aprox. how much did that end up costing you?

haydug
05-26-2003, 02:49 PM
It depends on how much you do to it. I had my crank balanced with a corillo rod, nikasyl cylinder, full Hinson clutch, cases pc'd, and a pipe & carb. You can call Mike at 740-967-1078.

ChadEXer
05-26-2003, 03:16 PM
If you want the best youll have to wait. TC of course is my number one pick with Sparks 2nd. If FDO is as good as some say he is then he will be in the same jam all the other pros are very soon!

slosh13
05-27-2003, 02:50 AM
haydug, what all did you have done to your motor and how much was it? thanks:)

haydug
05-29-2003, 01:20 AM
I think I have around $2400 in everything. It has heavy duty corillo rod, balanced crank, 440 JE piston, super large valves, hardened rockers, nikasyl liner, cam, heavy timing chain, port and polish. Should be making around 50 H.P.

400ex45
05-29-2003, 03:44 AM
i went with gt thunder and i thought he did a great job but i didnt have that much done just little improvments

CBRSLIDER
05-29-2003, 04:17 AM
Hetrick! Great people. Great performance. Great Price. Plus great customer service. I have their 416 kit and it flat out hauls. Give them a call. Also since you are sponsored by them it should be even cheaper. Tell them Ray sent ya.

Ray