RIjon
05-23-2003, 12:33 PM
Now my Beef

Could We Take a lil more care to keep them from Getting Scratched :mad:

http://members.cox.net/jfast50/quad/nerfs/nerfs06.jpg
http://members.cox.net/jfast50/quad/nerfs/nerfs07.jpg

they were like this out of the box

And they are all over the bars :(

I put on the Decals to hide some of it ....and yes I understand they will get stratched anyway but I didn't want Pre-Scratched

That is all

Dirt
05-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Are they as close to the rear tire as they seam in the pics? Look a little close.:confused2 . If you could take a pic to show the clearance it would be nice.

RIjon
05-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Sure

There is plenty of room ....just the angle of the cam :chinese:

http://members.cox.net/jfast50/quad/nerfs/nerfs08.jpg

Glow Plug
05-23-2003, 01:17 PM
those looks pretty good, i hope all the nerfs aren't scrathed like that :( but yeah they looks pretty good :)

muff
05-23-2003, 01:42 PM
they look nice, scared me at first when i saw how close they are, what size tires you got on there, 20" holeshots?

RIjon
05-23-2003, 01:53 PM
20x11-9 Rears

22x7-10 Fronts

Is that good ? ( I have no idea )

05-23-2003, 02:21 PM
just re-polish them:D

muff
05-23-2003, 02:50 PM
that tire size combo is good i was just tryin to get a feel for if someone slapped some larger rear tires on how close the nerf would come

JOEX
05-23-2003, 04:19 PM
Nice.... Mine should be here soon:)

Scratches...
In the second pic those look almost like gouges:( :confused:
Was the shipping box banged up at all?

Joe

cool 300ex
05-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Hey man looks good.What are you doing to your quad?Nrecause the front end is all riped apart.

Pappy
05-23-2003, 04:28 PM
its not the angle of the camera!!!! HE HAS THEM MOUNTED TO TEH REAR OF THE FOOTPEG.....UNLESS THAT WHAT THE DESTRUCTIONS SAY TO DO:confused:

RIjon
05-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Yes Pappy

The directions Specifically say the BACK of the Peg

The box they came in was Fine .... no damage at all

Pappy
05-23-2003, 04:38 PM
damn id want a bit more clearence...but like ya say it could be the pic:(

as far as the scratches:mad: doesnt that just piss on yer fire:macho

RIjon
05-23-2003, 04:46 PM
http://members.cox.net/jfast50/quad/nerfs/nerfs09.jpg

Pappy
05-23-2003, 04:56 PM
well seeing them installed i can pretty much say they wont fit if roll pegs are used......i geuss we know that answer now john:(

maybe the pics are just at wierd angles....but if they were mine id try doing it exactly opposite of the instructions.....the left side pic shows what...about 1 1/2 of clearence? the right side you dont have a straight down pic...can ya take one:confused:

sorry to be a pain but i WANTED these nerfs but now im on the fence:ermm:

TheRedRebel17
05-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

sorry to be a pain

well whats new pappy...:devil :scary:

j/k You really are a great asset to the site.:cool:

RIjon
05-23-2003, 06:13 PM
hrmz

It's actually kinda difficult to capture exactly how the nerf corresponds to the tire

But I just took these for yah Pappy

http://members.cox.net/jfast50/quad/nerfs/nerfs10.jpg
http://members.cox.net/jfast50/quad/nerfs/nerfs11.jpg
http://members.cox.net/jfast50/quad/nerfs/nerfs12.jpg
http://members.cox.net/jfast50/quad/nerfs/nerfs13.jpg

Hope this helps

05-23-2003, 06:20 PM
yikes i dont liek the looks fo those ill stick with my ac nerfs

RIjon
05-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Well,

I hope they work for me

I haven't owned any other kinds so I have nothing to compare it to :ermm:

What I don't understand is.... did arens design them to be that close to the tire?

Wouldn't they have tested them :confused:

You guys seem to be pretty skeptical abo0t it .... which makes me wonder

Guy400
05-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Sit on the quad so you've got some shock compression and take another measurement with the pic to see if the clearance gets any tighter.

tryken
05-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Would the nerfs still clear the tires with paddles on? My guess is ther wouldn't with certain types of paddles, such as sand sharks.

RuffRyder400ex
05-24-2003, 01:00 AM
looks good

TagRider
05-24-2003, 01:04 AM
Wow, what would happen if someone was running 22's for woods riding? According to those measurements you're within 1-1/2" of the tire with no weight on the bike on a 20" tire. From the one angle you're not at the tallest point of the tire. If you were running 22" tires you'd be within 1/2" of the tire not at the tallest point?? I'd see if you can modify the installation and mount them to the front of the peg.

pane2k
05-24-2003, 02:11 AM
yeah man those do look really tight. Id try to mount them to the front of the peg, It should be possible. If not I'd call and ask arens, maybe there was just a simple type on the direction sheet.

Pappy
05-24-2003, 02:14 AM
alot of nerfs are close.....the kinda have to be to be effective i reckon. i also know john is huge in MX so im wondering if this set up was geared more towards a 18 inch tire:confused: i still like them....simply for the fact you didnt complain about needing 3 buddies to help install them:D ac knows its got problems ....and im not sure if they have remedied that or not:ermm: i ordered nerfs from white brothers on jeffs recommendation. these will work with my roll pegs.

maybe ill order a set to play around with....its sooooo hard to telll all the needed info from pics alone

RIjon
05-24-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
Sit on the quad so you've got some shock compression and take another measurement with the pic to see if the clearance gets any tighter.

:eek2:

If I could do that I could be in the circus :p

I will have someone help me out when I get a chanch

The whole problem with mounting them in the FRONT of the peg ......is the U-bolts holding it to the frame in the front

you would have to come up with another way cuz the frame flares out to for the oil tank and stuff (larger diameter)

There is always a way , just sucks that you have to alter something you just bought :rolleyes:

Maybe Mr.Arens will pop in and shed some light on this :confused:

Dirt
05-24-2003, 04:01 AM
Hmmm..RIjon, Could you take a pic of the front mounting area of the bars. I wondering if what I am thinking is possible... How much clearance is there between the oil tank mounting bracket and the between nerf mounting tube? I'm thinking if you take out that tube and turn it horizontally 180 degrees the mounting tabs on the tube will be going out towards the rear of the quad, so you would not have any problems with the U-bolts on the frame brace. This should allow you to move the tube foward, if the oil tank bracket is not to close, and mount the nerfs to the front of the pegs. Maybe? Let me know what you think...

Dirt
05-24-2003, 04:06 AM
But I wouldn't lose any sleep over the nerfs. As the suspension compresses the tire does not move vertically only. You may lose or gain clearance, its tough to tell with out taking measurments or haveing more pictures and thinking a little.... No worries just concerns. Were some picky az people.

Dirt
05-24-2003, 04:11 AM
But look into that idea I shot at ya with flipping the tube and haveing the U-bolts to the rear of the tube and mount to the front of pegs.... Bracket and brace permitting...

RIjon
05-24-2003, 04:43 AM
That would most likely work

Reverse the mounting tube

Mount the nerfs on the front of peg and toss the ubolts back on towards the REAR of the quad

I did compress the rear shock and it actually gained room

The geometry of the swingarm works out in this case

I will leave it as it is ...... but would still like to see what John as to say abo0t everyones concerns

I'm sure he has his reasons for designing it this way ;)

RIjon
05-24-2003, 12:23 PM
bump for others

300exjuggalo
05-24-2003, 05:21 PM
looks good :macho

05-24-2003, 07:35 PM
I'm sure he has his reasons for designing it this way

I have to agree on this, and from what John has told us on this site he prefers to make his products in quantitiy and from the instructions it seems these nerfs fit more than one quad etc.

Only apparant problem with this is that is may not fit your quad the way the others do (as in mounting in front of the peg) and can effect some other aftermarket parts like the roll pegs etc.

ITs a great looking product and though it may not fit as many of our intentions or other aftermarket parts as it does diff quads it still looks to fit well on your quad.

Another thought is that maybe the clearence to the tire would possibly be less when the swing arm dropped or the grab bar was lifted.

muff
05-25-2003, 01:15 AM
someone mentioned it before, i think it was ken but it was somethin like how john made them for more motocross, with this in mind the smaller tire there will be a bigger distance between the nerf and the tire, a spot where someones tire can easily get wedged in, john prolly tried to help prevent this

Jnine
05-25-2003, 07:29 AM
Several of the replys to this post are exactly correct. I'll go over some of them again, and tell you why I have them designed the way I do.

TIRE SPACING: Motocross guys generally don't want too much extra room between the nerf & tire. Too much room leaves a spot where the guy riding next to you can get his wheel stuck in. We've seen it happen many times in the past, but not so much anymore since most of the nerf manufacturers have altered their design to fix that problem. Once again one of the other guys posting had it correct that the tire gains clearance as the suspension compresses.

PEG MOUNTING: We call out a mounting location at the back of the peg to allow for clearance on the oil resevoir. However, you probably could mount it on the front side, and check for clearance at the resevoir. If you do that, simply reverse the front cross tube so the little mounting tabs are on the back side, just as the person who posted that solution wisely suggested. Just flip the tube around and the bolts will be in the same place.

Scratching & Polishing. We actually do the majority of the polishing BEFORE we weld. There are a couple reasons for this, but the down side is that when the welder starts, the area is cold, and it leaves a little brown heat effected zone until the surrounding material comes up to temp. There is nothing I can do about this, so we have to wipe away the soot from the weld, and touch up those areas. I hate this part, but it's one of the aluminum manufacturing things I have to deal with. Believe me, I have put weeks into making trial welds on aluminum, and I've even shown them to experts from Lincoln Electric. They say I'm doing as well as anyone, but we'll try to keep improving. The fact is however, that whenever you handle an aluminum surface it never gets and better, so we try to handle as little as possible. You might also notice that there is a fine layer of dust on the part, and that is a polishing agent. For all the guys that have never had any nerfs, this is the reason nobody else does any polishing. In fact, everyone else (that I know of) sends their nerfs in raw aluminum. They have the same scratching problem, (and most of the time much worse) but you just don't notice it nearly as much.

DOUG ROLL PEGS: I've never had a set of Doug Roll pegs to work with, so I can't say how they would fit. As the guy posted at the beginning however, I promise you they will fit on the EX easily. If you have ever had anyone elses nerfs, you will know what I mean. If you have not, you have not begun to experience pain.

Pappy
05-25-2003, 07:33 AM
thanks for the update john....

the roll pegs are double wide ofcourse and unfortunately its more "rear" weighted then front. it maybe possible to still use your nerfs as long as the purchaser knew he would have to be creative. but i think there maybe enough room to mount them to the front of roll pegs...be real damn close tho.

ac nerfs are real close to the tire also and id have reservations about running them also with anything bigger then a 20 inch square profile tire:ermm:

Live2Ride300
05-25-2003, 09:07 AM
The Arens nerfs would probably fit with the Roll Pegs if you were running 18inch rear tires. What do you think?

RIjon
05-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Thank you Very Much John

I was in NO WAY,SHAPE, or FORM Trying to Flame,discredit the product or the manufacturer

The product was VERY easy to install....fit a like a glove , and is very well constructed

I will ride them with pride :D

Pappy
05-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Live2Ride300
The Arens nerfs would probably fit with the Roll Pegs if you were running 18inch rear tires. What do you think?

the roll pegs are twice as wide as stock....and that in turn will affect where the front cross bar attaches and pose possible mounting problems.