PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a stock filter

DeDo
01-02-2002, 05:50 AM
A couple of questions regarding the filter and the airbox...

(1) After a nice ride on Sunday I decided to really get a good cleaning in - something I have not done in awhile. I checked the clear tube under the airbox and noticed some water/muck. I had done some riding in a lot of water the week before. When I took the lid off the airbox I found signs that water had been in there as well as some pieces of twigs, etc. There was residue on the walls of the box showing the water had been in there.

The oil did not have any "whiteness" in it.

Question: How do I keep the water out? Don't hit mud puddles? Is there anything I can do?

(2) I went to clean out the filter - basically I used warm water and some mild soap, washed it out and rinsed it. What do I do with the foam filter oil? Soak it?

Thanks to anyone who responds with some answers...

DeDo

4punksdad
01-02-2002, 05:03 PM
let me try to help.

the water is most likely getting in through the snorkel. a small amount of water into the airbox will not hurt if the filter is well maintained.

when you clean the stock air filter I recommend using either foam filter cleaner or GO-JO brand hand cleaner. once the filter is rinsed clean let it dry, or hook it to the exhaust port of your shop vac for a few minutes.

now you are ready for oil. I use spray on foam filter oil. no matter what brand you use, the directions on the can will probably sound like this. "thoroughly coat filter with XYZ brand oil & wring out any excess". I normally spray mine really well & drop it into a ziploc freezer bag. Then I squish it around inside the bag so as not to get oil all over my hands, causing me to spill or worse yet drop my beer. :o

hope this helps.

R-Crazy
01-02-2002, 09:10 PM
if you want to play it cheap, soak it in gasoline for about 5 minutes or more, then rinse it w/ water to get as much gas out as possible. let it air dry half a day (just to play it safe) and spray some of that foam filter oil on it (PJ1 oil is good) and let it sit and dry. stick it in your bike and your done. i hope that did some good.

dave

Moto92
01-02-2002, 10:32 PM
I have found the best thing for cleaning a foam filter is Simple Green. Its biodegradable and wont kill your hands either so you can work up a good lather and get it really clean. Mine looks brand new after a cleaning.

RideRed400EX
01-03-2002, 10:18 AM
I had the same problem. First, go through deep water slowly, most of the water will come in through the snorkel so avoid splashing the water under the tank. Another thing that helps is to silicone seal around the snorkel where it meets the airbox (it really helps).

Filter cleaning sucks no matter how you slice it. I have five filters so I don't have to mess with it all the time. Use air filter cleaner or kerosene, soak about twenty minutes, then ring out and rinse. Next I use laundry detergent and water to remove any cleaner that was left behind. Rinse again and ring out. Let it dry for at least 24 hrs. (or quick dry using a wet/dry vac).

When dry, oil them all up, I like spectro or Belray. They are both super tacky and use blue coloring so you can see the oil on any brand of filter. DON'T get PJ1, it's junk.

Juggalo
01-03-2002, 11:07 AM
a good way to keep water out of the box (if your not out mud boggin the thing) is to just take the little cap off the bottom. that way when some water gets into the box it can just drain out.

Scott
01-03-2002, 11:35 AM
Some foam filter elements will start to breakdown if you use gasoline on them. I agree with what 3punksdad said. Personally, I use klotz cleaner and filter oil and haven't had a problem. A buddy is sponsored, so we get cases cheap.

3punks: Thanks for the tip on the freezer bag. I store my spare K&N in one, but I hadn't thought of using one to handle the filter to protect my beer. I've just been using a can coolie on my beer.

If you're getting water in your airbox, pull the airbox drain (the plastic tube you were talking about) when you take a break on the trail and any water or mud that did get in will drain out. Put the drain tube back on and you're all set to go again.

RideRed400EX
01-03-2002, 12:32 PM
Gasoline should bread down the filter but it could ruin the glue bonding the foam. Kerosene will NOT.

Scott
01-03-2002, 12:41 PM
Redrider:
That was what I was getting at too.

And I see I also managed to repeat what Jaggalo said.

RideRed400EX
01-03-2002, 02:05 PM
At least you can spell.

4punksdad
01-03-2002, 07:21 PM
try this with your airbox drain. lets water out & keeps splash water out.

Tommy 17
01-03-2002, 08:34 PM
3 punks whats that made out of...

400exRacerX
01-03-2002, 08:37 PM
It looks like the finger from a rubber glove? Am I right?

RideRed04
01-03-2002, 09:03 PM
I totally agree with the simple green thing. You wouldnt believe it untill you tried it, black before and bright yellow after! I have been using k&n oil to oil it, I know I shouldnt, but it is all I have right now. I have heard that the engine can pull the k&n oil through the filter and gum up the carb, anyone heard about this? The k&n is really nice because you can tell where it has been applied.

4punksdad
01-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
It looks like the finger from a rubber glove? Am I right?

right//////with a small slit cut in the very tip to let water drain out.

DeDo
01-04-2002, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info everyone...

I like the idea with the finger from the glove - that looks pretty slick.

So, everyones responses created two more questions:

(1) how did I get two small pieces of twig in the airbox? Can I put something in front of the snorkel head to block water from getting in without inhibiting airflow?

(2) 3PunksDad - how many digital pictures do you take??? It seems as though you have a least one picture for every topic. Most impressive. Your replies were helpful - thanks...

John

RideRed400EX
01-04-2002, 08:41 AM
The twigs definately came through the snorkel. I have had the same problem since I ride in the woods so often. A quick fix is to cut a piece of foam filter and zip tie it at the end of the snorkel but remember less air = less power.