PDA

View Full Version : 1988 TRX 250 w/ no spark

Stan U
05-22-2003, 02:57 PM
I have a 1988 TRX 250 that started having starting problems last fall. When it failed to start the culprit was always a lack of spark. I was never able to find the problem as it would always just fix itself. Also, once it was running, it never stopped and left me stranded.

Recently it failed to start and didn`t fix itself. I have found that I have power to the kill switch on the bars, and power past the key providing I disconnect the circuit past the key. If I plug it in to complete the circuit however, my test light goes out. I am guessing that I have a short past that point. Does this sound right? Where does the power go past this point? To the black box and then to the coil? If I disconnect the black box and the coil I still have a dead test light. The local dealer checked the coil and it is good, but the problem appears to be that no power is getting to the coil.

Help!!!!!!!

airheadedduner
05-23-2003, 05:10 AM
Welcome to the world of ATV ignitions:D

I am assuming that you are talking about a 250R. The R has no battery, kick start. The stator with a magnet around it provides the power.(still following this??) Now, when the circut is completed it grounds out and kills the motor. The R runs on an open circut(not a technical term) set up. Power runs through the system and to the plug which fires. When you complete the circut before it gets to the plug it dies. I know its backasswords and I didn't explain it very well but thats kinda how it works. So by completing the circut it did what it is supposed to do. I would look around for a loose conection. Sometimes the wires from the stator to the rest of the ignition break inside the insulator. That could be the problem too. Check the red/black(I think) wire comeing from the stator. Move it around while you check it. If your tester dips or spikes it is probly broken inside. Of course I could be completly wrong and the world is gonna end tommorow but eh, give it a try.

BTW what color is the plug??

FatBoy Redrider
05-23-2003, 05:55 AM
make sure your stator isn't loose. this just happened to my buddy and the stator loosened up and was wobbling around.