PDA

View Full Version : rev limiters

exrider2002
05-22-2003, 10:49 AM
i was thinking about putting a better rev limiter on my 400ex one that give an extra 1200 or so RPM's. but i thought that it might hurt the motor by the time i put it on i will have a HMF slip-on, Dynojet carb kit, K&N airfilter, precahrger, and a hot cam. So will putting a new rev limiter hurt my almost stock motor.

hondarider2006
05-22-2003, 11:54 AM
the motor is only intended to rev so high. By putting a different rev limiter that lets it rev higher is not good for the engine. You will get more power, but running it at top RPM's all the time is gonna kill it...:mad:

NoWingNoPrayer
05-22-2003, 12:04 PM
i got the WB rev limiter and i got it taped all the time.
yeah it might hurt the life of the engine but think its a honda it will be fine. i like mine its gort a wonderful gain on low end but top end isnt wonderful cause you dont produce alot of HP. i think its a good addition to the quad. and unles you turn it into a 440 stroker i think you will be fine.

05-22-2003, 12:15 PM
i got a modded motor(porting,11:1,cam,srpings,and a clutch) and the WB rev limiter was a good addition i think...i had it on my quad for a year with only a pipe and air filter....and when i tore my engine down this winter it wasnt that bad..cylinder was beutiful and no wear that doesnt occur from normal riding....

KY Woods Rider
05-22-2003, 03:31 PM
I think Honda is one of the more conservative companies when it comes to setting the rev limits, so you can pull more RPM without any problems. I wouldn't recommend trying to hit the rev limiter every chance you get, but for normal use, the higher rev limit will not significantly reduce engine life. On the other hand, for big bores (426 and bigger) running a stock rod, I'd probably stick with the stock rev limiter just to be on the safe side.

I've had a WB on my EX for about a year and a half and haven't had any problems. I don't make it a habit of hitting the rev limiter, and in fact I try not to rev it that high because the power drops off a bit. However, I have hit the rev limiter a few times, most often when going through whoops or big accelaration bumps and the rear end hops up in the air while I'm at full throttle.

As for the rev limiter's performance, I mostly wanted the WB rev limiter because it allows the engine to rev a bit more freely and therefore quicker, and while it's not a total night and day difference, it's just one more things that helps out. A lot of people complain about hard starting (especially in cold weather) with the aftermarket rev limiters. However, I haven't had any problems. Maybe I just got lucky, but my EX starts just as good (in all temps) as it did with the stock rev limiter. Overall, I think it was money well spent.

biggun
05-27-2003, 04:30 AM
We offer a rev limiter that adds 2hp, double that of the WB rev box. I have sold hundreds of those revboxes and haven't had a single complaint yet!!! We don't just add RPM's we actually change the ingition curve...ask around the Big Gun Rev limiter really works. Call me and I can get them sent out ($105.95)