PDA

View Full Version : Have 335 Bucks to burn on 250EX! Can't decide between Power and Suspension!

Fast250EX
05-22-2003, 10:02 AM
I want to get my 250EX upgraded a bit but don't know what to do. It is a little narrow and i would like to use the Durablue spacers but do they work well and are they very noticeable of an improvement? I also would like a better suspension. I don't jump big much but later this summer i might hit the local track or bash somewhere and could tell from my 1-2 foot jumps that anything too big would bottom it out. The back end would probably have problems bottoming out but it seems harsher than the front shocks. I like nice and plush travel but i can live with the rear.

I think the power is pretty good stock for all my needs. My buds quads are faster but not overly so and if we ever got somewhere where i can exploit my EX's handling and superior trail riding, they would have a full gourmet of my tail light.

I think the suspension idea would be a wise choice. I really don't see a reason to change out the stock suspension right now but do give suggestions in case i need it later.

I want to know basically how well the Durablue spacers work, and what other things to get such as nerfs, skids, and other such things. Keep in mind I am an aggressive trail rider so I think a wider stance and skids and nerfs would benefit me more than more power that i really can't exploit as is on the trails I ride anyway, i never left 3rd gear half the time.

Thanks for any help!

4TraxRider
05-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Wheel spacers and suspension.

ex kid
05-22-2003, 11:40 AM
go with a pro circut slip on and some 20' holeshot xcr's.

wilkin250r
05-22-2003, 11:49 AM
Be careful, wheel spacers and big jumps are not a good combination. Wheel spacers are a cheap way to widen your wheelbase, but extended a-arms and axle will give you better performance in the long run.

I'm not saying that wheel spacers are bad, they my be the perfect answer to your budget, especially if you can also get some shocks along with them. However, I wouldn't reccomend more than 2ft air with the wheel spacers.

If you plan on getting shocks, here is an important point. Many people will say that wheel spacers are just like extended A-arms when it comes to your shocks. This is NOT true. If you have stock a-arms, then get shocks valved for stock a-arms, regardless if you have wheel spacers or not. Adding the wheel spacers is NOT the same as extended a-arms when it comes to your shocks.

JABracing#7
05-22-2003, 11:57 AM
i just got wheel spacers all around on my 250ex and it is awsome! The handleing is great and the only thing noticable is that your quad looks 100 times better! On the front I didnt only put plus 3 wheel spacers but i fliped my rims too, and it gave it another plus 5. So I have plus 8 on the front now and plus 5 on the back and it looks and handles sooooo nice. I would go with the spacers to start off. And if you rarly are going out of 3rd gear i'm not sure its worth investing in any type of power or suspention because your going to need to go above 3rd on a 250ex to be hitting most jumps big enogh that your shocks are going to bottom out.