PDA

View Full Version : Trail Riding Boots for ATV's, Help on this, Size & Kind?

George_ORH
05-22-2003, 02:33 AM
Hello all,
For a long time I have been against wearing riding boots but about 3 weeks ago I SEVERELY twisted my ankle. IF I would of had boots on, I do not believe this would of happened.
First off, I will be doing just trail riding- Sometimes pretty ruff though. I would like a boot that offers at least 'some' flexibility...
I need to know which brand and model you guys reccomend..

I also have a question about what size to get because I don't want to order the wrong size.. I wear an 8 1/2 in Nike's, and a 9 in timberlands.... I'm 28 so the chance of my foot getting any larger is NONE, hahaha...

Thanks for you help,
George

brokeitin3
05-22-2003, 03:03 AM
how much are you looking to spend?

XANDADA
05-22-2003, 03:03 AM
I really like my Sidi's, I think they are the discovery model made for atv/enduro rider's. They are made to be a little more flexible yet still provide good coverage. They have a sole with good traction too for when your "taking a break". I got a size larger than normal because I like to wear really thick socks or even double up.

Doibugu2
05-22-2003, 04:36 AM
I have the Sidi's as well (different style I think than Xandada). I paid like $170 from Rocky Moutain. I'm sure you'll figure out which ones.

I ride trails too, and I like mine. Very different riding with a boot, but I will never go back. They give you a safety feeling. We ride through a lot of trees and sometimes they would snap back onto my legs which used to hurt, but no longer. No burning of your legs either.

George_ORH
05-22-2003, 04:41 AM
Do they offer pretty good flex? I am only worried about the awkwardness of trying to "feel" with a boot...

I have always ridden in tennis shoes, I know that's not good, but I feel more "connected" like that.

Thanks,
George

05-22-2003, 05:06 AM
ALPINESTARS!!! tech 6 will be fine, there worth the money and there the most comfortable and best ankle support out there u wont regret buying them there 230 but there great

05-22-2003, 05:07 AM
u dont hvae as much flexibility with boots but u get used to them, i think i can actually go faster through rough stuff with my boots on because they absorb so much shock

George_ORH
05-22-2003, 05:28 AM
Yeah I was looking at the Tech 6 or the Tech 8's...It seems like I would like to have a boot with a little "traction" on the bottom.. Because alot of times when we ride, we jump off and tackle some stuff on foot.

Did the boot size you got match your normal shoe size?

Thanks,
George

remlapr
05-22-2003, 05:45 AM
MSR World Tours with ATV sole are suppose to be good for the $$. I also don't ride with boots currently, but I am thinking about doing it. I mean it would be more comfortable to ride without a chest protector and a helment but I wear both of those to be safe. I haven't twisted an ankle yet but I have got smacked in the shin a couple of times by branches on downed trees and it sucked.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-22-2003, 05:57 AM
The Oneal All Terrain Boots are a good boot for the money :cool:

TheChknhwk
05-22-2003, 06:08 AM
Has anyone ever seen riding boots that come just up over the ankle like a workboot? I swear I saw them at a dealer around here who went out of business, but I have never seen them since.

George_ORH
05-22-2003, 06:15 AM
SilverFox::

Do you have a pair of those Oneal boots I am guessing?

If so, what are your complaints about them? Are they very flexible?

George

Ex'r Marlin
05-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Glad to hear that you will be getting motorcycle boots!!!!:macho (Highly recommend them!!).

I too wear Nike namebrand sneakers and boots... I found that the same size in Nike worked for my Alpinestars Tech 8's and Fox Forma boots.

Alpinestars, in my opinion, is the best namebrand in off-road motorcycle boots.

I recommend going to a local dealer, try various namebrand boots on, and get a feel for yourself. Yes, they may feel very stiff at first (one, maybe two rides), but then they seem to form to your body... Unbelieveable experience, at least for me and the namebrands I have used.

I have the 2002 Tech 8's and the 2003 Fox Formas & 1998 Fox Formas... The Fox Forma seems to be more comfortable as a "walking" boot, but the Tech 8's definetly shine for ankle support. The Tech 8's have a "bootie" that has cushions on the side of your ankle... Very nice!:) :cool:

Good luck with your decision!:)

Sportrax10
05-22-2003, 06:55 AM
Alpinestars, I got the Tech 6 and I love them.