PDA

View Full Version : oil

dannyboy20
05-21-2003, 04:10 PM
I have a 03 400ex. I idle the machine for 5 minutes and check the oil and it reads halfway on the dipstick. Should it read at the top. And if i ride for a while it reads at the top of the dipstick. So what do i go by ???

Rip_Tear
05-22-2003, 01:29 PM
First, do you clean the dipstick after you ride, then put it back in? If not do that, and you probaly need to add some oil!

JOEX
05-22-2003, 05:12 PM
Checking the oil as per the Honda Owners Manual:
1. Make sure the vehical is on level ground.
2. Start the engine in a well-ventilated area and let it idle for 5 minutes. If the air temperatures is below 10*C (50*F), let the engine idle for an additional 5 minutes (atotal of 10 minutes).
3. Stop the engine.
4. After a few minutes, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick from the oil tank and wipe it clean.
5. Insert the dipstick without screwing it in, then remove the dipstick and check the oil level. The oil level should be between the upper level mark and the lower level mark on the dipstick.
6. If required, add the specified oil into the filler cap hole, up to the upper level mark on the dipstick. Do not over fill.
7. Reinstall the oil filler cap dipstick.

CAUTION:
Running the engiine with the improper oil level can cause serious engine damage.