View Full Version : New Valvoline 4 stroke ATV oil??

Glamis400ex
05-21-2003, 01:00 PM
Hi guys,

I was in my local Auto Zone and saw some new Valvoline 4 stroke ATV oil. Anyone have experience with this? It looked ok, and seemed to meet all the spec's.

I also came acrooss STP oil filters for the 400ex. Anyone ever use these too?

Glamis

Bill Fuller
05-21-2003, 05:15 PM
I have used the STP filters for along time now,beats paying 6 bucks at the local rip off dealer.As for the oil I have never heard of it is it synthetic?Are you trying it out tell me how it works,and how much?

300exTJjeeper
05-22-2003, 05:11 AM
Hey Glamis,

I ahve been using that oil for about a month and a half.

Just came from doing a run at Glamis and Pismo over the weekened with this stuff.

This stuff is sweet and great even in the summer time in GLamis.

I used to run Mobil 1 but now I swicthed and it is worth it. the Oil is still in good shape even after the 2 runs to the dunes.

Oh yeah and for you oil filters here are some numbers for them 2 companys
Purlator ML16815

Fram CH6015

I run fram filters only about 2.25 a piece well worth the price. but I highly recommend that oil.

luvmyex
05-22-2003, 06:40 AM
Ive been using the valvoline motorcycle oil for about 3 months now.Seems to hold up much better than the honda oil.I use the motorcycle oil because its a 20w50.I couldnt find the atv oil in a 20w50 or i would have used that.But the one im using is for a wet clutch so i dont see any problems with it.

Glamis400ex
05-22-2003, 12:21 PM
OK, thanks guys.

Bill Fuller, I just bought some, but haven't put it in yet, was gonna wait a week or so till the 416 was put together. Just wanted input if it was any good.

The ATV oil I found is 10w40 dino oil, Only $2.99. After I break her in, it'll be back to the Mobile 1 synthetic

Glamis

300exTJjeeper
05-23-2003, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by luvmyex
Ive been using the valvoline motorcycle oil for about 3 months now.Seems to hold up much better than the honda oil.I use the motorcycle oil because its a 20w50.I couldnt find the atv oil in a 20w50 or i would have used that.But the one im using is for a wet clutch so i dont see any problems with it.

Hi there rider, I've been using the ATv oil for soemtime, As with me I cold not find the 20-50w atv oil only the motocycle oil has it.

Sine you run it, how does it fell and how long has it lasted. I was looking at the labels andt here pretty much the same, made for wet clucthes.

Just wanna get your input on that tryp of oil before I swicth over

luvmyex
05-23-2003, 09:10 AM
I have no problems with it.Holds up better than the hp oil.

norrisboat
05-23-2003, 01:35 PM
I used to use Honda gn4 oil for my 400, but a buddy turned me on to torco. It is a semi synthetic. I am amazed that I can even see a change in the performance of my quad by using this oil. I just put it in one ride ago. My quad starts up like a champ. I feel like it has fuel injection. It starts up with no absolute problem at all. I only have to baby sit it for the first 10 seconds when i start it up. Oh, I started using a k and n oil filter too.

Chanman420q
05-25-2003, 09:13 AM
i use clutch saver oil 20w50

BS300ex5
05-27-2003, 03:00 PM
my pops works at the valvoline where they developed this atv oil and the guy the chemist that actually developed it knows his motors well apparetnly but he says for your average atv the atv 10w40 is key and can't be beat but for the high perf. engine he reccomends sticken to the 20w50 motorcycle oil because they get hotter and it is 50 weight when hot as the other is only 40 and it is also better for your motor having 20 weight in there for starts rather than 10 weight, just input from what the bg guy brought home from work... (somthin cool thought is that i got a case of atv oil a month and a half before it hit the shelves) haha

300exTJjeeper
05-29-2003, 06:09 AM
sweet thanks for that important info.

I'm sticking with this stuff

bmw500hp
06-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by BS300ex5
my pops works at the valvoline where they developed this atv oil and the guy the chemist that actually developed it knows his motors well apparetnly but he says for your average atv the atv 10w40 is key and can't be beat but for the high perf. engine he reccomends sticken to the 20w50 motorcycle oil because they get hotter and it is 50 weight when hot as the other is only 40 and it is also better for your motor having 20 weight in there for starts rather than 10 weight, just input from what the bg guy brought home from work... (somthin cool thought is that i got a case of atv oil a month and a half before it hit the shelves) haha

thanks for the info...ask your pops what the valvoline chemist says about synthetic vs petroleum base in regard to atv's. Curious what opinions this guy has. Chemist are usually more technical and less sales oriented.

bmw500hp
06-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 300exTJjeeper
Hey Glamis,

Purlator ML16815

Fram CH6015

I run fram filters only about 2.25 a piece well worth the price. but I highly recommend that oil.

Jeeper:
Thanks for this info....is there any place on this site where we can build or consult a "cross reference" chart. It might be valuable to save $$ or improvisions.