PDA

View Full Version : Good Exhaust for 250EX? Help!

Fast250EX
05-21-2003, 11:47 AM
I finally have got enough money to let my EX have a little of the action. I want to make a noticeable increase in power, enough to keep up with a Mojave that has Supertrapp IDS exhaust.

I am looking at the Pro Circuit T-4 but if i am gonna blow a lot of cash on a pipe, i want the absolute best i can find, even if it is a little loud, I have the baffle out of the stocker so anything quieter than that is fine.

I have 335 bucks to blow but i want to get a K&N filter with that too.

I was once the fastest of my buddies but now they all upgraded quads. I already kick some butt on the trails but I wanna show them the 250EX is more than a trail machine.

I appreciate any help.

250EXking
05-21-2003, 12:02 PM
go with white brothers e-series, jet kit, and air filter. that will help alot.

White_Knuckles
05-21-2003, 12:34 PM
The T-4 is a fine pipe but get the slip-on only. The 250EX unless built will not take any advantage of a "full" system due to the rev limiter. A larger header diameter is for top-end, the factory stainless header is fine and focused for low end pull. Look at pipe shootout articles, the dyno tests reveal very little difference on 4-strokes maybe one brand can squeek out an extra 1/2 H.P. at 7600 RPM. Find the style and price you like.

I installed a T-4 (slip-on), UNI filter, four 1" UNI pop-in filters into the air box lid, opened up the snorkle end, re-jetted the main jet to 105 (Keihin) and rolled the fuel screw out to 2.5

This worked great, the bugger hauls. It's the combination that works not just a pipe and high flow air filter. Now put some 18" rear tires on and Bling, Bling it's a happy machine! :D I did everything (except tires) for under $250 total.

You want pictures?, I got 'em.

RUFIO
05-21-2003, 12:42 PM
id like to see her :devil

ex kid
05-21-2003, 02:09 PM
i have a big gun full system with 22'' holeshots and a 104 main jet. great power over stock. alot louder. i love the pipe.

White_Knuckles
05-21-2003, 03:39 PM
250EX: Pro Circuit T-4, 18"(R), 21"(F) Holeshots, Douglas offset rims, Motion Pro twist, UNI, 105 Keihin main. Did the mods for my wife, liked it so well I kept it for myself and got her a new one.

Sportrax10
05-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by White_Knuckles
250EX: Pro Circuit T-4, 18"(R), 21"(F) Holeshots, Douglas offset rims, Motion Pro twist, UNI, 105 Keihin main. Did the mods for my wife, liked it so well I kept it for myself and got her a new one.
How much top end did you loose with them 18"rear tires?

White_Knuckles
05-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
How much top end did you loose with them 18"rear tires?

3-5 mph but the smaller dia. tires gear it down so it revs quicker and yanks 2nd gear wheelies jacking the throttle. Can't really use top end in the twisty, knarly woods we ride. But some of the fire roads gettin' there you can hook a little. Tires are wider and flat so it slides well without the roll of the stock Dunlop doughnuts.

White_Knuckles
05-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Side view of the pipe fit. It does not extend past the rear grab bar and is warm sounding, not raspy. It's really quiet for what I've heard about T-4's and EX400's. Now for the Works Shocks.

White_Knuckles
05-21-2003, 06:05 PM

oops, uh those would be 20" rear tires. I had a brain vapor lock and posted "18. I think the 18"'s would gear it way low and peel off too much top end. :confused2

redroost85
05-22-2003, 06:24 AM
I got the DG full exhaust. It is probably not the best, but I got the whole deal for $200. It works for me and puts out a decent bark too !:D

BTW, the pics of the yellow 250 are badazz. That is a sweet looking ride!

rider250ex
05-22-2003, 07:32 AM
hey. i have e-series, k&n airfilter, 98 main jet, and 18" razr mxr's def good for my type of ridin. sooo much bottom power

250EXking
05-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by rider250ex
hey. i have e-series, k&n airfilter, 98 main jet, and 18" razr mxr's def good for my type of ridin. sooo much bottom power

you only run a 98, stock is 95.
i am running a 108 now. and have 10 disc on

Fast250EX
05-22-2003, 09:43 AM
I think i will go for the T-4, if i don't decide to work on another part of the thing. I planned on going to 20 inch rears (Razrs) and keeping the stock up front. I like being sporty and all but I wanted the 250EX because i had less worries driving a shaft drive on our trails, i have high centered a couple times goinf through there, it is just awesome.

Anyway, I also think the Durablue wheel spacers seem like a smart idea, i wrecked and bruised 2 ribs the other day when i flipped the thing. I wider stance would be good. Does anyone have these?

i plan on getting the Razr's from my local shop but does anyone know of a place i can get a lot of 250EX stuff at a cheap price over the net. I know of Rocky Mountain ATV but is there anything I am missing?

is it hard to change the jetting because i would like to learn how to work on my quad and not rely on my shop. I have worked on several carburetors before but mostly 2 stroke and nitromethane carbs. Plus, the fact of dismantling my reliable little EX haunts me.

Thanks for the help!

Sportrax10
05-22-2003, 09:46 AM
oops, uh those would be 20" rear tires. I had a brain vapor lock and posted "18. I think the 18"'s would gear it way low and peel off too much top end. :confused2
Yea, 18" did sound and look a little low. While my 400 is apart im gonna put my 20" Holeshots on my sisters 250. Just to see how it feels I guess.

Fast250EX
05-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Does anyone know of any big bore kits for the 250EX? I think that would be cool, maybe a 280EX or something like that. Thanks!

ex kid
05-22-2003, 11:32 AM
powroll does and my guess is that fst is going to come up with somthing soon. o yea with my big gun, it's so loud i am getting a quiet core for it so people dont complain. it gave me so much more bottem. i would get front razars too. stock sucks. they push to much. right now i have a 104 main jet and my piolet jet is on order. the mid range hit increased as well. i can shift early and let it pull. the pipe is loud but it sounds awsome.

Fast250EX
05-22-2003, 12:52 PM
On the Powroll big bore kit, would i need to bore the cylinder out? If not then that is a good deal because that is right on my budget and i bet the torque would be awesome, and that is what i want. Does anyone know if it requires boring of the cylinder? Here is the link: http://www.powroll.com/printer_h_TRX250EX.htm

That would make my EX 249cc which is what Honda should have done in the first place.

Thanks for the help!

White_Knuckles
05-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Fast250EX
Anyway, I also think the Durablue wheel spacers seem like a smart idea, i wrecked and bruised 2 ribs the other day when i flipped the thing. I wider stance would be good. Does anyone have these?

The spacers are one way to increase your stance but for similar cost you can add 2+ inches front and rear with offset wheels. The spacers require you to remove the stock wheel bolts which are pressed in. Off come the calipers and rotors. Apply heat with a torch and hammer out the bolts. Bolt on the spacers make sure you lock tight 'em 'cause they can work loose. The other style spacer uses the stock bolts and has new bolts to mount the wheel to. Stress and weak points result again requiring you to check tightness often.

Wheels: (rear) 9" width, 3"inside 6"dished. (front) 6" width, 2" inside 4"dished. Sell your old wheels and tires on ebay getting 3/4 of your expense back. Rocky Mountain is the cheapest on-line place I've found.

mudderchic
06-02-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by 250EXking
go with white brothers e-series, jet kit, and air filter. that will help alot.

I agree, that's what I have and it runs great!

sly400ex
06-02-2003, 05:30 AM

That's one of the nicest 250EX's I've seen! Good job!:macho