PDA

View Full Version : Irc Chat Is Now Up!

Mxbubs
05-21-2003, 11:22 AM
I have created us a chat channel finally. It is uses the IRC, Internet Relay Chat, software. IRC is a huge network, will smaller networks/servers with many channels (rooms) per server. The server I am on is irc.usachat.net The chat channel(room) is #atving. When joining a channel or room, it is very important to put the # in front of it. If you dont have IRC, download it at IRC.com.

When you download and install IRC, a connection windows will open up. In the window, use the drop down arrow, and scroll down until you find the usachat network. Hit connect. Once you connect, type /join #atving and that will bring you in. If a "channels" folder pops up when you connect to the server, just close it.

To manually set up your connection, in the window, click on "add". For the description, type #atving, and for the server type irc.usachat.net

Then click "connect" it should bring you in.

I am the operator there. It is a new channel, so alot of peeps may not be there yet. You can even swap files. Fool around with the options, you can set up an "auto connect" to bring you straight in when you start the program.

To make a nick, type it in the channel, or the server connection status window. Type /msg nickserv yournamehere

Once you have your name, you can register it so no one else can use it.

When you set up your program, you will be asked a password and an email addy.

To register your name, you will need those 2 things.

Type /msg nickserv register yourname yourpassword youremail

There is a space between everything.

www.mirc.com

Connecting to a Server

Connecting to an IRC server is the first step to chatting on IRC and is done through the Connect dialog, which pops up automatically when you first run mIRC.

Once you enter a few basic pieces of information about yourself, you can select an IRC Server from the servers list and then click on the Connect button. You'll know you've connected when the IRC server shows you it's Message Of The Day, which contains information about that server. At that point you'll be able to Join a channel to start chatting.

Basic information
The following information is required before you can connect to a server.

Full Name
You can enter your real name here, however note that whatever you enter can be seen by other people on IRC. Most people usually enter a witty one-liner or comment.

Email Address
You must enter a full email address eg. khaled@mirc.com.

Nickname and Alternative
Your nickname is the name by which people will know you on IRC. Remember that there are many hundreds of thousands of people on IRC, so it's possible that someone might already be using the nickname you've chosen. If that's the case, you should try to pick a different, more unique, nickname. You can enter an alternative nickname as well in case someone is using your first nickname. If both nicknames are in use, mIRC inserts "/nick" into the edit box so that all you have to do is enter a new nickname and press enter.

Invisible Mode
If you turn on the invisible mode switch, people will not be able to find you on IRC unless they already know your nickname, or if you join a channel or talk to them privately.

IRC Servers

The IRC server that you choose is the most important factor in determining how quickly and easily you connect, so if it's taking a long time to connect to one IRC Server, choose a different one and try connecting again.

Note: If you're having problems connecting to an IRC Server, see the Connection Problems section.

You can manage your list of IRC servers by using the add, edit, and delete buttons. Each IRC server consists of the following information:

Description
This can be any text you want and serves only as a description.

Address
This is the IRC server address eg. irc.dal.net

Port Number
This is usually 6667. If the server allows connections on different ports, you can enter them all separated by commas eg. 6667,6668,6669 and mIRC will pick one randomly each time it connects to the server.

Group Name
This allows you to group servers together when they are sorted with the Sort button.

Password
This is rarely required, so you should not have to enter anything here unless you have been specifically told to do so.

Hint: If you click your right mouse button on the Options toolbar button, a popup menu appears that allows you to quickly connect to an IRC server.

New Server Window

The new server window option allows you to connect to more than one IRC server at the same time. Just check the new server window checkbox, and click the connect button. The checkbox setting isn't remembered, so it will be turned off the next time you open the connect dialog.

To open a new server window without connecting to a server, you can check the new server window checkbox and then press the OK button.

Hint: You can click your right mouse button on the options toolbar button to display a popup menu listing your most recently accessed IRC servers. If you press the shift key while selecting a server in the popup menu it will open in a new server window.

__________________________________________________ __
Basic IRC Commands

IRC commands allow you to perform specific functions on IRC, such as maintaining control of a channel and the users on it. The following list of Basic IRC commands should help you get started. There are also Other Commands you can look at later.

General Commands

/JOIN #channel
Join the specified channel.

example: /join #irchelp

This will make you join the #irchelp channel. Once on a channel, anything you type will be seen by all the users on this channel. The #irchelp channel is very useful, so say hello and then ask any questions you want. If the channel you specified doesn't exist, a channel with that name will be created for you.

Some channels may also have keys ie. a password, which you need to specify when using the /join command.
example: /join #irchelp trout

This will make you join the #irchelp channel using "trout" as the password.

/PART #channel
Leave a channel.

example: /part #irchelp

/LIST [#channel] [-MIN #] [-MAX #]
Lists currently available channels. You can also tell mIRC to show only channels with a minimum and a maximum number of people. If you specify a #channel then mIRC will only list information for that channel. If you specify wildcards, eg. *love* then mIRC will list all channels that contain the word love in them.

example: /list
example: /list -min 5 -max 20
example: /list #mirc
example: /list *love*

/ME message
Tells the current channel or query about what you are doing.

/MSG nickname message
Send a private message to this user without opening a query window.

/QUERY nickname message
Open a query window to this user and send them a private message.

/WHOIS nickname
Shows information about someone.

/NICK nickname
Changes your nickname to a new nickname.

/QUIT [reason]
This will disconnect you from IRC and will give the optional message as the reason for your departure. (this message only appears to people who are on the same channels as you).

example: /quit That's all folks!

/AWAY [away message]
Leave a message explaining that you are not currently paying attention to IRC. Whenever someone sends you a MSG or does a WHOIS on you, they automatically see whatever message you set. Using AWAY with no parameters marks you as no longer being away.

example: /away off to get something to eat, back in a moment!

/TOPIC #channel newtopic

Changes the topic for the channel.

example: /topic #friendly Oh what a beautiful day!

/INVITE nickname #channel
Invites another user to a channel.

Channel and User Commands
If you have Op status, the following commands give you control over both a channel and the users on it.

/KICK #channel nickname
Kicks named user off a given channel.

example: /kick #gb Ed

/MODE #channel|nickname [[+|-]modechars [parameters]]
This is a powerful command that gives channel operators control of a channel and the users on it.

Channel modes
------------------------
ModeChar Effects on channels
~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
b <person> ban somebody, <person> in "nick!user@host" form

i channel is invite-only
l <number> channel is limited, <number> users allowed max
m channel is moderated, (only chanops can talk)
n external /MSGs to channel are not allowed
o <nickname> makes <nickname> a channel operator
p channel is private
s channel is secret
t topic limited, only chanops may change it
k <key> set secret key for a channel

User modes
-------------------
ModeChar Effects on nicknames
~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i makes you invisible to anybody that does
not know the exact spelling of your nickname
o IRC-operator status, can only be set
by IRC-ops with OPER
s receive server notices

v gives a user a voice on a moderated channel

Here a few examples of the MODE command:

To give someone Op status: /mode #channelname +o nickname

Giving someone Op status means giving them control over the channel and the users on it. Give this out sparingly and to people you trust.

To op several people: /mode #channelname +ooo nick1 nick2 nick3

To de-op someone: /mode #channelname -o nickname

__________________________________________________ __

I hope you guys use this. The chat channels work neat. Its not difficult at all, it just looks like alot.

Good luck.

:D

lil400exman
05-21-2003, 11:26 AM
is this post long enough? can u tell me how to tie my shoes too?:blah

Mxbubs
05-21-2003, 11:52 AM
You dont need to read all of it, just the first few paragraphs to join.

The rest is for advanced users.:D

coke400
05-21-2003, 11:53 AM
put that room on the webnet sevrer

Mxbubs
05-21-2003, 11:55 AM
Hell even the numbnuts at bluetraxx put together a working channel.....:eek:

Mxbubs
05-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by coke400
put that room on the webnet sevrer

Is that the server bluetraxx is on?

coke400
05-21-2003, 11:59 AM
i dunno but thats the one i use

Mxbubs
05-21-2003, 12:01 PM
Just looked at webnet, too crowded.:(

irc.usachat.net

#atving

Knight440
05-21-2003, 12:03 PM
IRC OMG I didn't think that was still around :p

coke400
05-21-2003, 12:12 PM
why is it to crowded

Mxbubs
05-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Couldnt get permission or help from the administrators to setup on webnet anyway.

Taco
05-21-2003, 01:18 PM
I'm there
now if only it gets popular

Guy400
05-21-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm signing up now!

Rip_Tear
05-21-2003, 02:21 PM
I am in there now... so long since I used IRC...

coke400
05-21-2003, 02:23 PM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok you just change in your coonect setings to webnet and then make a room in there like #exriders.com or something

bandit390
05-21-2003, 03:04 PM
We need a direct link chat room with the link on the site. ;)

Mxbubs
05-21-2003, 05:34 PM
Cant do that. Cant link it unless I set it up using Java, and that cost money.

I wish I could, but Im out of work remember. The room got invaded by some bluetraxx members earlier, I had to clean house....hehehe.

They just want to bicker and cuss.

And cant name it Exriders because that is Ben's site.

SlapNutz
05-21-2003, 06:11 PM
ucant chatch, u selld bikes, ufreeck, weerd yoo is:mad: :mad: :mad:

cudaman
05-21-2003, 07:49 PM
i am using trillian so i am going to try and get it going agian, although it might take mea couple days cause i hate IRC so im not very fired up about getting it running
lol:blah :macho

Mxbubs
05-22-2003, 03:02 AM
Irc is very stable. I like it.

p@iNn3ck
05-22-2003, 06:16 AM
there were'nt too many people on there last night.... and where were you MX???? playin poker??? :D

Mxbubs
05-22-2003, 12:01 PM
I was playing cards. The room stays up. Most IRC users stay logged in 24/7. I will be logged in 90% of the time. There wont always be people on. It would be nice if alot of guys get together and shoot the BS.

remlapr
05-22-2003, 12:59 PM
Aren't there sites out there that just use a java client that will let you create your own chat room anytime? Only thing is I doubt it would persist. IRC is sort of a pain in *****, I used to use it all the time back when it was the only chat around though...

Mxbubs
05-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Bump

Ben
05-24-2003, 01:05 AM
I co-founded one of the biggest IRC channels in DALnet and then EFnet history (700+ people on 24/7) years ago and I can tell you that IRC is NOT for the average user. It is cool for us computer people to play with but most people just want to type in a Java application or AOL setting. You should realize that MXbubs ;)

blondie69
05-24-2003, 01:58 AM
i've tried goin to www.irc.com about a million times and every time......Cannot find server:huh

Mxbubs
05-24-2003, 07:16 AM
I realize that. Do you realize that Java is not free?:D

Just kidding. Seriously, why dont you put us a Java chat together?

I tried to get in touch with Jirc.com, but their website has been down do to defacing/hacking the past few days.

Mxbubs
05-24-2003, 07:17 AM
Sorry blondie, try www.mirc.com

blondie69
05-24-2003, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
Sorry blondie, try www.mirc.com

thanxs:D

AFTERMARKET
05-24-2003, 07:42 AM
IRC Is the best choice for this room. Java makes the room unworkable sometimes
And Irc opens up a lot more options