PDA

View Full Version : techniques on passing slower XC racerss?

Steve-O
05-21-2003, 10:24 AM
This past weekend while racing I came up on a guy that just wouldnt let me by.
Besides yelling/screaming and rev the crap out of my quad what else can you do?
:mad:

holeshot19
05-21-2003, 10:46 AM
ive been there i know if u r trying to protect your possion is one thing but if someone is faster than u , need to move over not crash yourself or put yourself in a bad position:grr

MEL
05-21-2003, 10:50 AM
park him! i always try to pick some soft thorn brush to park them in. i don't mean hitting him so hard that parts get destroyed, but get your point accross.

Natertot426ex
05-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Put a horn on your Quad. I have friends that have them. IT works for them!!

250EXking
05-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Natertot426ex
Put a horn on your Quad. I have friends that have them. IT works for them!!
i could only imagine a horn. lol:D

Bill Fuller
05-21-2003, 12:39 PM
A horn is illegal in GNCC racing I think I'm not sure though.As far as him not pulling over he will if you put that front bumber on his back bumber repeatedly he will get the point and while we are on the subgect of pointing make sure you point out to him that he is #1 in your book with the ol middle finger salute after he gets up off the ground and you say bye bye:macho

Steve-O
05-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
A horn is illegal in GNCC racing I think I'm not sure though.As far as him not pulling over he will if you put that front bumber on his back bumber repeatedly he will get the point and while we are on the subgect of pointing make sure you point out to him that he is #1 in your book with the ol middle finger salute after he gets up off the ground and you say bye bye:macho

I like the way you think :devious:

anywhereEx
05-21-2003, 01:17 PM
good illistration.......

ex kid
05-21-2003, 02:12 PM
run the dude over and roost his a** when you pass him. that's messed up, we move right away when faster guy comes by. i think in some races you can be disqualified from not moving over for a faster guy.

CBRSLIDER
05-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Steve,

I bet I can guess who it was. That was the worst part about starting in the back. At least you can count your blessings. You won't have to deal with the vet b rider who was on a clapped out white 230 quadsport that smoked worse than an overly rich banshee. He would hold us up every race last year. I actually had to hit him several times at the last race to finally get around him. Then he unfortunately caused a severe bottleneck for everyone behind me.:D I was able to just about walk away with the win.

But I do know where you are coming from. There were several instances last year where people wouldn't pull over. Just time to be a little more aggressive. One thing that I learned qwik last season was don't get too frustrated. You will start making mistakes. Just remember we are out there for fun. AND don't run my butt over. :huh

See ya at java.

Ray

Steve-O
05-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER
Steve,

But I do know where you are coming from. There were several instances last year where people wouldn't pull over. Just time to be a little more aggressive. One thing that I learned qwik last season was don't get too frustrated. You will start making mistakes. Just remember we are out there for fun. AND don't run my butt over. :huh

See ya at java.

Ray

The tough part about it was we were the 4th lap into the race. and I had no idea how I was running or even if he was in the same class.
This has been the only time in 3 races they a slower rider wouldnt let me by. Im still pretty new at XC and wasnt sure how much of the "chrome horn" was used
If it's clear someone caught me I have always let them by,, heck I may learn a thing or two following someone quicker

The Java XC is a no go for us it's just too far away. looks like the Death Valley race is the next one on tap for me and OC.

bradley300
05-21-2003, 04:16 PM
i hate doing it but, some times you just got to ramm them, i yell 3 times, and wait. make sure you ive them a chance to find a spot to pull over. i hate holding up people and move asap, but i'm not gonna pull into a ditch just to let them by. wait until there is a wide spot on the track, if they dont pull over there, youve yelled and screamed, now ram the for all its worth.

if anything they will get tired of buying grab bars after every race and pull over a little more willingly.

Wingnut
05-21-2003, 04:39 PM
At a check point, tell them they're leaking oil. Seriously, ramming them may be the only way to get them out of your way, but don't do it in a place that if they get hung up you can't get bye. Rubbing your front tires against their rears makes a terrible noise and sometimes after doing that they will let you bye.

dhines
05-22-2003, 02:05 AM
From the GNCC rulebook:

"No horns, bells or other sound devices are permitted on machines. "

"Rider Contact: Deliberate ramming, blocking, or intentional contact with another rider may be cause for penalty."

jlhughes750
05-22-2003, 02:43 AM
if there in your class they do not need to LET you by, they should out of curtisy but only if your really pushing them... yell once or twice then pass them through a line that makes them look silly,pull a commando pass at the end of a straight going into the tight stuff, and he won't bother you the rest of the series...

lappers and slower racers that started ahead of you, now thats another story, again, yell once or twice, then gently sneak up close behind and push them with your bumper constanly for a few hundred feets through turns down straights, they'll get nervous eventually..........

lil400exman
05-22-2003, 03:44 AM
or just plow ito a corner and knock em out...................works in mx...........:eek:

Ex'r Marlin
05-22-2003, 06:26 AM
First of all... Good thread!:cool: I like some of the replies!:D

I think it is an unwritten law to let faster riders go by when it is safe. I believe some of the riders just do not know what to do, and panic like a police car is on your tail. It would be a nice statement for the starter of the race to tell riders this rule before the race.

I am not the best one to answer this question, I am usually the one getting lapped!:grr Like one said earlier, it is good to have a faster guy pass you, and you try to follow his lines and pace.:)

Note: I have been pushed before by some fast guys... I think some have a great technique to get you out of the way without causing a crash... I guess it comes with experience racing and trail riding with what works and what does not.

ex kid
05-22-2003, 11:37 AM
think about it like this. after the race do you really want the A class rider that you wouldn't let by to beat the shi* out of you cause he got second because you were to ignorant to move out of his way.

joedirt
05-22-2003, 02:22 PM
I yell twice, once nicely and the second curse up a storm ( usually saying something about there mother). If that don't work plow them they will get the point.:devil

lt250r91
05-23-2003, 10:32 AM
This is a very interesting topic. One that all of us that has raced any type of racing has been on both ends of this.

I typically when a faster rider comes up on me put my hand up to let him know I know he's there if I can't get over at that point and then find the best and quickest place to move over or if there is a part of the track that has more than one line I point the rider to a different one that I'm going to take.

As for passing slower riders. First I look for spots where I can make a pass without yelling or effecting the rider. If none or available then I will rev the machine and hollar at him to let him know I'm there and I want around him. This typically works. If not use the 3 step method. Yell once. Scream the second time. And the third I'm yelling get out of my way or I'll get you out of my way. This tends to scare most riders out of your way because the fact of them thinking your going to wreck them scares them. If this still doesn't work then it's time to make the ride at your speed for a little while (start pushing them).

I've been very lucky I've only hit people when they have gotten stuck in front of me and I could stop in time. I've never had to move people out of my way. There have been a couple times I could have though. I guess I'm to nice of a guy or I don't want to replace my front bumper.

Last GNCC race I had a slower racer in my class refuse to let me by for 3/4th a lap. He ended up costing me 6 position in my class. I yelled at him and even tried to force my way around him but he looked back and saw I had removed my googles so everytime I'd get up on him he'd fishtail the rear end to kick dirt and rocks in my face. I ended passing him on a down hill, but he still finished in front of me do to another slower rider getting hung up on an uphill and costing me a little over 3 minutes to free myself and get going again.

Steve-O
05-23-2003, 11:27 AM
okay hate to do it but when push comes to shove. what else can you do?

http://www.proarmor.com/lgpics/images/KFX_FB.jpg

dirtriderex
05-23-2003, 02:06 PM
I understand about slower riders letting the faster riders by, but i'm competitive and when someone comes on to my tail I don't just give up, I try to go faster. racing is about technique and when I hear a yelling idiot thats pretty un professional. JUST LEARN HOW TO PASS OTHERS NOT HARRASS THEM!

Ryan
05-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Steve-O
okay hate to do it but when push comes to shove. what else can you do?

http://www.proarmor.com/lgpics/images/KFX_FB.jpg

Steve-o, How is that new bumper? Have you crashed tested it yet;) ?

Pappy
05-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
JUST LEARN HOW TO PASS OTHERS NOT HARRASS THEM!

and too that i'd say ...LEARN TO RIDE FASTER SO YOU DONT GET LAPPED:macho :blah

KY Woods Rider
05-23-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
I understand about slower riders letting the faster riders by, but i'm competitive and when someone comes on to my tail I don't just give up, I try to go faster. racing is about technique and when I hear a yelling idiot thats pretty un professional. JUST LEARN HOW TO PASS OTHERS NOT HARRASS THEM!

I don't think you should ever let someone you are competing against around you. If someone is in the same class as you are and are on the same lap as you are, then they can get around the best way they know how.

However, if they are in another class or they are in your class but you are so far behind that they're lapping you, then there's no reason to mess up there race unless you just like being an A-hole. If they're not in your class or you're getting lapped, then letting them around will not hurt your finishing position, but you can sure as #ell ruin their results by holding them up. If you get an urge to race with someone who is faster and wants around, then do what I've done many times... let them go around, then try to keep up with them.

Like most riders and racers, I have been of both sides of the issue, getting passed by faster riders and passing slower riders, and if there's one thing I hate, it's someone who won't let me around but has no reason for holding me up:mad:. I don't expect people to let me around if they have a chance of beating me, or I don't expect people to pull over and let me by in areas where there's no place to pull over.

I really try to be a clean racer and nice to everyone that I race with, but if someone holds me up for no reason then I have a three step process that I use. First, I get close behind them going into a tight corner (where the RPM is low and they can hear me), and I yell "Get out of the way!" If they make no effort to let me around, then I wait till I get to another corner and give a light bump; not hard, just enough to let them know that I mean business (this usually scares them and they move over). If they still don't make any effort to let me by or even acknowledge my presence (at this point I start to get mad), then they get moved out of the way whether they like it or not; usually in a corner that is wide enough for me to get around after they spin out or roll over. If someone that I bump during the race has any questions or complaints, they can always come see me when the race is over:macho

dirtriderex
05-25-2003, 05:44 AM
yeah I agree if your on the same lap and class and the guy behind you is tailing you, don't just let him buy everyone has a weak point on the track

joshyz125
05-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Holding people up that are oviousally faster then you just means that your a prick, That's not being competitive in any way, shape, or form. if you get infront of someone that's racing for points, i'll garentee they will only put up with a** holes for so long and end up putting you in a tree. So untill your the guy catching people get out of the way for the faster guys

660bigdaddy
05-26-2003, 02:28 AM
if you can't keep up w/ the guy in front of you and you have a train of guys in your class behind you, get out of the way. geez, we're all in this type of racing to see who can run the full 1 1/2- 2 hours as fast as you can go, if your holding someone up, and can't keep the pace, fall behind a faster rider and learn. if you don't they'll find ya after the race and let you know about it. your costing one of your competetors a great overall and you may need to borrow a spark plug or something someday, and everyone will know your a jerk out on the track ,so they'll concider you a jerk, off the track too.
jmo