View Full Version : How do i change axle bearings?

400exbiggun
05-21-2003, 09:58 AM
hey guys, i would like a little help on changing axle bearings on a 400ex. i have the carrier out already.
what type of grease? how much grease? where do i grease it?
How the heck do i get the seals out? and put them in? same with the bearings?

Also are GTS Race bearings good? (because i can get them cheap)

Mxbubs
05-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Knocking out the old bearings is hard. I have heard put the whole carrier in an oven, heat it up to 300 degrees, and they will fall out.

If not, take a long flat head screw driver, and come in from the end, and place the screwdriver on the inner race of the bearing, you will only have a small lip to hit on, and beat them out.

400exbiggun
05-21-2003, 10:17 AM
yeah.....ummm.....i don't think the people in my house would like to have some greese and bearings cooking in a oven.

how about a propane torch? How would i do that? do i need to take out the seals first?

hondarider2006
05-21-2003, 10:55 AM
put the carrier in the grill. Get it hot, not like red hot, but pretty freaking hot, than beat em' out.

400exbiggun
05-21-2003, 10:58 AM
ok, i will try that, but will a torch work also?

Sportrax10
05-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
ok, i will try that, but will a torch work also?
I am currently in the same situation as you. I need to know the same things that you do.

A torch should work, but an oven would be a whole lot easier.

luvmyex
05-22-2003, 06:50 AM
take the seals out first.They pop out pretty easy with a scewdriver.Heat up the carrier and knock out the bearings from the inside.But putting them in is another story.Make sure they get seated in all the way.They should be pressed in if possiable.If its too hard for ya go to a local machine shop and get them to to it for ya.Shouldnt be much more than $20-$25 for them to do it all.

Notu400ex
05-25-2003, 02:46 AM
Freeze your bearings overnight and they will slide right in. You can lightly tap the edge of the bearing with a brass hammer if necessary or use a block of wood.

/Jon

400exbiggun
05-26-2003, 03:29 AM
freezing won't do any thing to the bearing?
i just got the bearings out, a torch actuallly went VERY easy.

what and where do i put the grease now?

coryatver
06-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Put it everywhere. It doesn't really matter though. They are sealed bearings. You could to take off the seals and stuff more grease in the bearings.

Notu400ex
06-08-2003, 08:18 AM
I usually pop the seals off and put more grease in. Seems like even Pivot doesn't put much grease in the bearings.

Sportrax10
06-08-2003, 10:10 AM
How do you pop the bearings out from the inside?

400exbiggun
06-08-2003, 01:08 PM
thanks guys, i got my bearings out, by using a propane torch, and heating the carrier up for 3min, then banging it on a piece of wood, and they poped out.

Sportrax10
06-08-2003, 03:31 PM
thanks guys, i got my bearings out, by using a propane torch, and heating the carrier up for 3min, then banging it on a piece of wood, and they poped out.
So you hit the bearing and it went all the way through the carrier and popped out the other side?

400exbiggun
06-08-2003, 11:55 PM
no, we did not even hit the bearing(but you could), ok take a clamp and hold one side, heat the other up real hot, and lay a 2x4 or bigger flat on the ground. then just bang the carrier, and the bearing will move all the way to the lip, then take a long screwdriver and poke the bearing out, or turn the wood up and hit it on the extended lip. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE O-rings off the carrier before you heat it up, now i still have to wait another week to get them in.:grr:

Sportrax10
06-09-2003, 07:38 AM
no, we did not even hit the bearing(but you could), ok take a clamp and hold one side, heat the other up real hot, and lay a 2x4 or bigger flat on the ground. then just bang the carrier, and the bearing will move all the way to the lip, then take a long screwdriver and poke the bearing out, or turn the wood up and hit it on the extended lip. MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE O-rings off the carrier before you heat it up, now i still have to wait another week to get them in.:grr:
Ok, I see

When I took my carrier off they were already broke, I am picking some new ones up from the local dealer today. Its a little damaged, ill post pics of the damage to my carrier later today to see if you think its still reuseble.

400exbiggun
06-09-2003, 12:53 PM
hey guys, just got a tub of white lithium, will that be good, do i pack the bearing FULL when i take the seal off? Smear it on the spacer? And should i freeze the bearing after i put grease in it, will freezing them hurt my brand new bearings?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: