PDA

View Full Version : Are people having serious problems with Predators????

YLW400
05-21-2003, 03:22 AM
My brother is inquiring about Predators, but he keeps hearing stuff about transmissions going out. Are there any problems that he should know about before hand?? Thanks alot for your time guys, and gals!!!

brokeitin3
05-21-2003, 03:30 AM
told me they have sold close to 40 units and only had problems reported back from two-they were leaking coolant around the head gasket. but not that big of a problem.

DESDAK4
05-21-2003, 03:35 AM
The only problems my buddy (NDpredator) has had resulted from roll overs.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

YLW400
05-21-2003, 05:57 AM
Well a guy that lives near my brother has blown 4th gear TWICE. Thats why is he questioning them. I dont see what he dislikes about the 400EX. I have tried to convince him to get one. He won't listen.

cdalejef
05-21-2003, 06:01 AM
One of our local customers has had all the steering ball joints go out of his twice!:eek2:

MIKE400EX
05-21-2003, 06:22 AM
Looks like he wants to be faster than his brother - time for the engine work!:uhoh:

YLW400
05-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Shoot me some prices Mike and we'll see what we can do.:muscle:

RoadkillerRyan
05-21-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by brokeitin3
told me they have sold close to 40 units and only had problems reported back from two-they were leaking coolant around the head gasket. but not that big of a problem.

ya thats what happened to my friend

Fred55
05-21-2003, 11:53 AM
I haven't had ANY problems, except for the floats being set too high, but one trip to the dealer, and 10 mins, perfect!

05-21-2003, 11:57 AM
i read in dirtwheels that the predator isnt good for sand because the tranny is weak under acceleration:huh is this true?

RED121572
05-21-2003, 12:03 PM
The only serious problem Ive had with mine, is that Im not talented enough to take advantage of its full potential.:D

AZblaster44
05-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
i read in dirtwheels that the predator isnt good for sand because the tranny is weak under acceleration:huh is this true?

Only thing I know about the tranny is that you can't power shift under hard accel, have to use the clutch but thats no biggie. Other than that only other thing I've heard complaints about is the susp. being set stiff, but thats also an easy fix(kinda)

Fred55
05-21-2003, 12:30 PM
My suspension seemed stiff...but really the rebound was set too high for me, it took like a minute to fix that!

05-21-2003, 01:18 PM
i Think they are really cool machines, they come stock with Fox shocks and easy to adjust. Fast. Race ready machines. I wouldnt mind havin one.

powerslider
05-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by RED121572
The only serious problem Ive had with mine, is that Im not talented enough to take advantage of its full potential.:D

I can relate to that, it is an awesome ride...:cool: :cool:

flaneledholes
05-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Not a single problem with my uncle's predator... Has changed the oil after every 3 rides, and has the valves adjusted on the regular basis, and all the other little nic nac things as far as maitenance... And well, if you treat them right, they will do they same for you! All I have got to say is, congrats. polaris!:)

marksuttonjr
05-21-2003, 04:15 PM
I almost purchased a used one a few months ago. The guy hadn't run a full tank of fuel through it yet and decided to sell it because he was scared of it. I rode it a few miles and I've got to say it was the best riding Polaris I've ever ridden, but it doesn't compare to the ride of an R in my openion. So a friend of mine now ownes it and has not had any trouble with anything except getting it jetted correctly for 110 leaded race fuel. I finaly found THE sport quad for me and am glad that I waited instead of paying the same $3750 for the Polaris that I paid for my R.

05-21-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by marksuttonjr
I almost purchased a used one a few months ago. The guy hadn't run a full tank of fuel through it yet and decided to sell it because he was scared of it. I rode it a few miles and I've got to say it was the best riding Polaris I've ever ridden, but it doesn't compare to the ride of an R in my openion. So a friend of mine now ownes it and has not had any trouble with anything except getting it jetted correctly for 110 leaded race fuel. I finaly found THE sport quad for me and am glad that I waited instead of paying the same $3750 for the Polaris that I paid for my R.

Tell your friend to run 93 or 94 and not 110 cause thats why he cant get it jetted. It doesnt need the extra octane and its not only giving bad plug readings but I am sure he can feel the loss of power he thinks is poor jetting.

If he had modded it with a 12.5:1 or more compression then that statement wouldnt apply, but otherwise he is bogging it down with the wrong fuel.

QuadJunkies
05-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
i read in dirtwheels that the predator isnt good for sand because the tranny is weak under acceleration:huh is this true? not true one bit....thats primarily what we ride in:) Not a tinhg gone bad on ours,it had the brake drag that is annoying but in time they will have a cure for that. Ball joints yes. thaht is a problem for alot and alot of the first models like the TLD ones. Ive heard of a few that had 4th gear go out. I NEVER shift w/o clutch unless its a slip up.for the most part I think most people I talk to over at a pedator Web site is loving there quads since it is so new, alot talk about best ways to modify and even a cool vid of a predator whoopin a Shees butt!!:blah :macho

QuadJunkies
05-21-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by marksuttonjr
I almost purchased a used one a few months ago. The guy hadn't run a full tank of fuel through it yet and decided to sell it because he was scared of it. I rode it a few miles and I've got to say it was the best riding Polaris I've ever ridden, but it doesn't compare to the ride of an R in my openion. So a friend of mine now ownes it and has not had any trouble with anything except getting it jetted correctly for 110 leaded race fuel. I finaly found THE sport quad for me and am glad that I waited instead of paying the same $3750 for the Polaris that I paid for my R. 440ex4me is totally right on that;)

QuadJunkies
05-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by RED121572
The only serious problem Ive had with mine, is that Im not talented enough to take advantage of its full potential.:D Red, you got a pipe yet?? Trying to get this one jetted. May have to go all the way to a 200 main!!!:eek:

QuadJunkies
05-21-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by flaneledholes
Not a single problem with my uncle's predator... Has changed the oil after every 3 rides, and has the valves adjusted on the regular basis, and all the other little nic nac things as far as maitenance... And well, if you treat them right, they will do they same for you! All I have got to say is, congrats. polaris!:) I second that!! AWESOME power .....AWSOME machine....no regrets here....;)

marksuttonjr
05-22-2003, 05:04 AM
440EX4ME
I tried to tell him that, before he started messing with the jets, but he wouldn't listen. It's kinda funny hoy the friends who don't listen always end up with quads not running up to their potential. I just hope that he starts listening to me before he tears something up.