PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Problem

400ex Magnum
05-21-2003, 12:57 AM
Here is the situation, I let my rear brakes get pretty low before I replaced the pads. I put new pads in the other night, like I have several times before, and when I went to check the brakes, the pedal would just go to the floor. I have bled them out several times, as per the service manual, and don't seem to be getting any air out of them anymore. The brakes will work if you pump them a few times, but let it sit for a minute and on the first time you push the brake pedal, it just goes all the way down. Pump it a few times, and they will work fine.

What seems to be wrong? Did I blow a seal in the caliber or in the master cylinder? Thanks for any help you can provide.

buckeye400ex
05-21-2003, 02:26 AM
Jim, operator error if ya ask me. :rolleyes:

Just kiddin ya bro... we can fix it this weekend, if you don't have it fixed by Friday.

400ex Magnum
05-21-2003, 02:33 AM
Buck - Definitely operator caused problem. I think the bent rear rotor wearing the brake pads down that low as something to do with this problem.

Jennys440'Dale
05-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Blame it on Nick, he rode it a couple of weeks ago. Put it away and never told you what he did to it. :)

buckeye400ex
05-21-2003, 02:37 AM
There ya go Mag, that boy could tear up an anvil. :D

Maybe you are still getting air out of the lines. ?? If you have no leaks, I'd say seals are good. Fluid would have to go somewhere.

quader400
05-21-2003, 08:34 AM
are you shure the line that runs to the rear caliper is lined up. there is a hold in it and a hole on the screw that holds its. if there not lined up nohting happends. when you bleed them once all the air is out the brake fluid will come out thats when you knwo all the air is out.

tprender
05-21-2003, 12:42 PM
If you let it set for a few min and the pull and have notheing, but if you pump it a few times to get pressure that means that you still have air in the lines someplace.
Never let someone ride your quad, they will mess it up every time and would tell you a thing. If they so, they will say that it was like that when they got on it.

400ex Magnum
05-22-2003, 01:23 AM
tprenter

Thanks for the info. I am going to bleed it some more this weekend. I think that if there was a seal bad, that it would be leaking somewhere and it is not. As for riding my quad, Jenny's boyfriend only was riding it around my yard and up and down my road. I am responsible for all damage done to that quad. Ride it like you stole it.

TRX_Thumper
05-22-2003, 09:28 AM
pull off your parking brake or brake block off plate and if there is any fluids in there your seals are out in the caliper...otherwise keep bleedin them

NoWingNoPrayer
05-22-2003, 12:11 PM
if all that is done and you dont see air and your caliper is fine. its gonna be your master cylinder. replace that and you sould be able to stop on a dime.