PDA

View Full Version : the 440 kit

yellowedge
05-20-2003, 02:17 PM
where can i find the 440 kit. will it hurt anything on my motor. what do i need to beef up to do the 440 kit and have no problems.. how much power do u really gane.. is it worth it.

DaveEX7
05-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Wiseco has a 440 kit. White Brothers Mag. carries it, along with Wisecos web site.

Ask some of the 440 runners on this site, see what they have to say about their investment.

Colby@C&DRacing
05-20-2003, 06:33 PM
We sell alot of 440 kits. I do not recomend the wiseco kit though the comp ratios are not correct. I have had alot better luck with the Ross 440 kit. It has better compression and is also available in over bore sizes for down the rode when it needs freshed up the wiseco kit requires that you put in a new sleeve every time that it needs freshing up. You will also need a new cam to get the benefit of the big bore, Also a good idea to have the valve done and put new valve seals in at that time.

slosh13
05-21-2003, 01:03 AM
How much is the Ross 440 kit? What all is included in that kit?

bmw500hp
05-21-2003, 02:07 AM
I am interested in the Ross kit as well. Could you give details and if possible, the purchase price? Also, what do you mean when you say Ross has made provisions for follow up bores?

05-21-2003, 03:48 AM
When you do a resleeve and install a new piston to have your 440 it may be anyware from a 432 to a 440 depending on the actual bore and piston sizes used etc.

I dont know a lot about the Wiseco stuff for the 440 as they were prone to producing very low compression and the main reason so many people were thinking or finding that the 416 was faster etc. so when I did mine I was looking at JE and Ross.

Ended up JE had comp probs like Wiseco but just not as bad but claimed the newer stuff corrected that, but the newer stuff had another problem and that was they were selling most of the bore sizes to IMS exclusively and we couldnt buy them. This combined with the fact that this was the kit that was originally installed in mine and it was over 30 thou in the cyl and required me to deck the cylinder made me want to try something new.

After checking out Ross the decision was easy since they had a excelent product and offered all the bore sizes listed above and even have 2 more above the 89mm (true 400cc) and all of them offer the correct piston to deck heights to create the proper compression.

The best thing I can advise you is to do some searching here since there are prob 100 threads just like this one and a few excelent ones also. Deff find one titled "have you decked the cylinder" as it gets into some detail about how to make this setup work right and even gets into some cam and rocker info as well. You should also look at the tech section for the Mickey Dunlap stuff as he has some very good info on this there also.

Once you get the easy questions answered (ok there not easy just come up a lot) then come back with the thougher more tech ones.

Good luck cause this is a lot of fun :)

bmw500hp
05-21-2003, 04:45 AM
thanks Lloyd,,,I mean Lenny (lol). Ive been down that research highway once before and appreciate replies as always. I think If I understand you correct, when the 440 the chosen direction, it's best to cut to the chase and get the Ross kit...Have the sleeve installed and forget about the trials and tribulations decking etc....am I more or less right on that one?

05-21-2003, 05:22 PM
For the most part thats correct.

Its all in the set up and ross has made it easy to get closer to the correct or advertised piston comp numbers by doing there homework and getting the heights better, and all you really need to do is run some calculations and decide which gasket thickness you want to use to obtain your desired comp.

Or more simply the Ross 11.2:1 89mm bore piston will produce close to the comp listed and not have the problems of the old wisco and IMS kits.

If you do need more technical info there are others here (well I hear they still watch or read certain threads but dont post much because of all the juvienile BS) that would be better for that but I will do my best to answer what I can.

mouse1
05-21-2003, 05:35 PM
I installed one of the 11:1 wiseco 440 kits and I am satisfied witht the money, I first only had the overbore with out any of the other mods, i could feel the most difference in the bottom end power, i then added all the necisary stuff like cam and pipe. and then the power started to come alive.