PDA

View Full Version : New clutch instalation?

HiperEX
05-20-2003, 01:23 PM
I need a new clutch for my 300ex before i sell it and also new axle bearings can i do both of these by myself with basic tools in the garage? or should i take it to a dealer and pay the extra money witch i dont really want to because as soon as i sell my 300 im goin to buy a 400ex and many mods

RobRacing
05-20-2003, 01:33 PM
The clutch is relativaly easy to instal and uses basic tools. But for the bearings you are going to need specials tools to drive the bearings and seals in with. You could probably use a big socket with the same diameter as the bearing but that is going to be hard to find in the garage.

HiperEX
05-20-2003, 02:53 PM
ok so you think i could they them i can find the same size sockets as teh bearings to tap the old ones out and as far as teh clutch goes just drain teh oil, take teh clutch cable off adn the lever going into the motor and take all the bolts out of the side case and it should just pull off or i might have to use a flathead screwdriver or sumthing right?, im gettin pretty good working with motors, ive taken 4 lawn mower motors rebuilt them, few sled motors got running, fixed a nice old ATC 250r the ones with teh radiators then my uncle sold it i was so pissed i would have taken it from him and i fixed it didnt get anything and i was only 13 at the time and he never thought id get it working but just rebuilt it, new filter, cleaned the carb new gas and fired right up on the 3rd kick ran and started on the first kick ever since man i was mad at him for awhile

TRX300X
05-20-2003, 02:54 PM
You're gonna need an impact wrench to get the nut off the end of the mainshaft so you can take the clutch apart. Other then that it's a piece of cake.

KY Woods Rider
05-20-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by TRX300X
You're gonna need an impact wrench to get the nut off the end of the mainshaft so you can take the clutch apart. Other then that it's a piece of cake.

:huh Excuse me if I missed something, but you don't need to remove the center lock nut to install new clutch plates and springs. You only need to remove the center lock nut if you are going to remove the clutch basket, which isn't necessary to replace plates and springs. Just remove the side case, remove the five bolts and the clutch springs, pull the pressure plate out, remove the old clutch plates, then reverse the process. Get a new gasket for the side case too, because it is almost a guarantee that you will tear it to pieces when you remove the side case.

As for the axle bearings, they can be a pain in the @$$ to get out. If you get one of them cocked sideways inside the carrier, it can be extremely difficult to get it out and it can damage the carrier if you just keep pounding on it while it's not straight. Personally, I don't even fool with them, I just take my bearing carrier out and then take the carrier and new bearings to a dealer or cycle shop and have the old ones removed and the new ones put in. If you already have the carrier out (the part that takes the most time), most shops won't charge very much ($10 or so) to put in the new bearings. If you have a friend or two at a local shop, they might even put them in for free.

Bill Fuller
05-20-2003, 04:48 PM
put the carrier in your gas grill for a COUPLE of minutes until you think heat has worked it's way through(don't forget it or it's new carrier time)a couple of hours prior put your new bearings in the freezer (atleast 2 hrs.).When the carrier is good and warm(not glowing red but hot enough you need some pot holders to handle it).Find a stump or thick sturdy piece of wood and just bang it(flat end)on the wood usually 3 or 4 good slams will do the trick reverse the process for the other bearing(should not have to reheat).Make sure you buy new dust seals as well.The clutch is a simple job sounds like you have already tackled some good projects I'm sure you can do it.Get a manual and take it slow read reread all common hand tools any ATVer should have in thier garage.Stop going to the dealers they are not your friends and are only concerned about your money.Checck the labor rate and I think you'll understand what I mean.After the carrier cools down(do not put it in cold water as it could warp)take the bearings out of the freezer(one at a time)coat the outside with some antisieze and find the biggest socket you have and SLOWLY tap the bearing in making sure to rotate as you go.coat the dust seals with some marine grade grease and put that bad boy back together.You can get this all done in a couple of hours and the good thing is it's basically the same on the 400 so you might want to buy a manual that services both the 300 and 400(thats what I got)half the cost of one hour labor I garentee.Besides maybe then you can make some extra $$ working on friends bikes once you get a job or two done people will notice your work you would be suprised of the amount of people who don't change thier own oil or adjust valves or put on brakes etc...

Good Luck

TRX300X
05-21-2003, 04:25 PM
It's 4 bolts and yes you need to remove the center nut. The pressure plate is on the backside of the clutch.