PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel removal

99400ex
05-20-2003, 10:19 AM
i got a sparks timing key and it didnt come with a puller. anyway i have a puller not the bolt but a flywheel puller and i put it on and got it very tight, hit the puller with a hammer i did everything i could think of to get it off but it wont budge. is any thing i should be doing or do i just keep turing the puller and getting it tighter??

terko440
05-20-2003, 10:31 AM
Is this a screw in type of puller with jaws or just a flywheel holder?(strap) I have to ask, you do have the bolt removed correct? And if not using an impact wrench really helps. The same for getting it back on. But I didnt have anyluck with a strap so I have a threaded pipe of sorts and just turned until it broke loose. It's probably stuck on there pretty good. Will probably make a loud pop when it comes off. Good luck!

Colby@C&DRacing
05-20-2003, 06:36 PM
I use an air impact the tighten the pull it takes alot of force to get the flywheel to pop off:)

99400ex
05-21-2003, 10:01 AM
im using the kind with jaws. i have it pushing on that lip kind of thing the the bolt would do but not treading in. i was told that the jaws type will hurt th flywheel is this true? aslo i used and impact but that still didnt work

terko440
05-21-2003, 10:23 AM
yes i'm afraid I have heard that the jaws type will damage it so I wouldnt try with that one anymore besides I wouldn't think you have to hold on to beings the inside edge of the flywheel is rounded. All said and done you are going to need a tool or big bolt that will thread into the flywheel and pushes against the crank which forces the flywheel the other way. I know I couldnt get mine off until I bought a tool. So do a little more looking around and call some atv/motorcycle shops and see what they have and use. They have to have something. I went as far as talking to one of the mechanics myself since the sales people dont know anything. Good luck mate!

cheetah
05-21-2003, 10:26 AM
It's just a big bolt. If you didn't get one I would call Sparks and tell them to send you one if you don't know what your doing. The best advice is like Silverfox said use and impact gun. It takes a lot of force to the thing to come off.

Bill Fuller
05-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Call Sparks they can tell you the thread pitch and diameter to buy then go to a nut and bolt store and buy the bolt I think it needs to be 3 in. long,put a impact on it and it will pop right off.