PDA

View Full Version : Add drain holes to aluminum airbox?

XANDADA
05-20-2003, 07:18 AM
I have an aluminum Graydon airbox for the R right now and it has an Outerwears filter for the top cover that is held on with crappy velcro. It doesn't have any drain holes for water to escape. This set-up is far from water tight. My question is should I drill some drain holes on the bottom or will that just make the problem worse by water getting sucked up through there? Also if you think I should drill some holes, how many and size? Thanks for your help.

lil400exman
05-20-2003, 09:33 AM
here what i would do................ dent it so all the water flows to a low spot then put a one way check valve in it............just my idea it would work well............:confused:

4TraxRider
05-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Drill the smallest holes possible to let the water escape, so that when water gets that high, not much will drain in. But the one-way check valve sounds like a good idea as well.

lil400exman
05-22-2003, 09:38 AM
well brian whatcha doin?:huh

XANDADA
05-22-2003, 09:44 AM
gonna look around for different types of simple one way valves and see if I can't jury rig something together. If that fails, then I might buy a new OEM airbox, lid & snorkel and just run whichever airbox the weather calls for. But then I would most likely have to mess with jetting all the time:(

You going to that rausch ride in june?

Doibugu2
05-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
gonna look around for different types of simple one way valves and see if I can't jury rig something together. If that fails, then I might buy a new OEM airbox, lid & snorkel and just run whichever airbox the weather calls for. But then I would most likely have to mess with jetting all the time:(

You going to that rausch ride in june?

Oh, just buy extra carbs, so you don't have to screw with the jetting.:devil