PDA

View Full Version : 416 No Top End!!

kargaaro
05-20-2003, 03:12 AM
I recently put 11:1 416 je with hotcam st2 plus porting into my 400. It's strong in 1st and 2nd but 3rd and higher is just always bogging. I've heard with the Hotcam you kind of have to treat it like a powerband but it never gets there. I am honestly slower and I have to work harder with constant downshifting. I've spoken with a couple of pro engine builders and they've said my set-up, jetting, etc. sounds right on. The motor work has possibly made it under-carbeurated. (which would me stepping up to a FCR 39) I also want to mess with the gearing (stock) a bit. Any similar problems or suggestions?

UglyMotha™
05-20-2003, 03:44 AM
it sounds almost as if maybe you not getting enough flow, in other words need to go to a larger carb or it's jetting, i have the same setup as you only my stock carb is bored out to a 38 and she pulls like a mofo in the top end you might want to play around with the jetting or think about investing in a larger carb or even boring your stock on for that matter i think with the flow job and the full exhaust system and the stock carb may be choking it

kargaaro
05-20-2003, 03:52 AM
That's about the same response as I got from Sparks. They said my jetting sounds right on and I've trouble-shooted just about every combination of jetting possible. It's right. The FCR is pretty costly but if that's what it needs. Have you messed with the gearing at all?

UglyMotha™
05-20-2003, 04:21 AM
no i'm still running stock gearing to me it seems to pretty much be the best for the track and in the woods, i wanted to get a fcr but just didn't have the money for it so i went with the bored carb i think for 125 it was worth it

YZROOSTINYA
05-20-2003, 05:40 AM
I am running your kit with no probs on the stock carb

45 pilot
4th clip down on stock needle
155 main
k&n with vented lid

there is something wrong with your set up

what is your valve clearance set at

what is your spark plug gap
is the plug old?
is there aything wrong with your electrical system

is your timing right???

BigAl
05-20-2003, 10:52 AM
I am also running the same setup as you, except my cam is stage 1. With a fully closed up airbox, and a powerfilter with stock jetting.

Mine runs like a champ, that is the main reason I haven't messed with the jetting.

The gear you are riding in makes no difference, as far as how the motor runs, it is stricrly RPM related. If your motor has high RPM power in 2nd, it should also have it in 3rd.

It almost sounds like you have some other problem.

kargaaro
05-22-2003, 12:16 AM
I called and talked with Hotcams Inc. They pointed me in the right direction. My cam was not in time. I fixed it lastnight but I'm not to happy with the engine builder. Thanks for your input guys.

RUFIO
05-22-2003, 01:21 AM
I was just about to order this identical set up for my 400 (Stage 2 hotcams and JE 11:1 & new gaskets) also the guy building was going to flow the head...but without an fcr or boring the stock carb can i get away with just throwing a bigger main jet in there? :ermm: top end was really what im after too...

UglyMotha™
05-22-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by RUFIO
I was just about to order this identical set up for my 400 (Stage 2 hotcams and JE 11:1 & new gaskets) also the guy building was going to flow the head...but without an fcr or boring the stock carb can i get away with just throwing a bigger main jet in there? :ermm: top end was really what im after too...

I am running your kit with no probs on the stock carb

45 pilot
4th clip down on stock needle
155 main
k&n with vented lid

lilmxe#43
05-22-2003, 01:29 AM
did u break in the cam? my friend did and when he tried to gas it it would just bogg like what ur talkin about.

kargaaro
05-22-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by kargaaro
I called and talked with Hotcams Inc. They pointed me in the right direction. My cam was not in time. I fixed it lastnight but I'm not to happy with the engine builder. Thanks for your input guys.

YZROOSTINYA
05-22-2003, 06:00 AM
your jetting is off or your timing is off

just as I stated above

Sick0
05-22-2003, 12:49 PM
After i did similair mods my topend was great. The motor rans strong as he11.