PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem solved!!!!

tkatc
05-19-2003, 05:10 PM
I wrote into the forums a few weeks ago about my clutch being very hard to pull in. I received a few suggestions from people here who said it could be a notchy clutch basket or it was my cable binding up. I checked the cable and my cable seemed to work fine so I ruled that out. I then figured that the previous owner had put in heavy duty springs and it was making it hard to pull the clutch. I set out to replace them but figured while I am at it I may as well replace the clutch discs as well. I spent about $200 on oil, gaskets, oil filter, new springs, clutch plates, friction plates and also broke down and got a new cable. May as well do the job right I figured. Well...I tore it open tonight and discovered that the clutch plates looked good and the springs looked original. I still labored on and replaced everything except the clutch basket which had several SLIGHT grooves in it where the discs hold on to the basket. I decided that these small grooves couldn't really affect my bike that much so I sanded them down and proceded to put it all back together. Now the test...was the clutch going to be hard to pull still?????
YEP...As hard to pull as ever. Still determined to fix my problem I continued to put on my new parts. the only thing left to replace was my cable. I threw it on in no time expecting no change...BUT...you guys were right. As soon as I replced my cable she was smooth and easy to pull as a brand new 400ex. I should have just taken your advice and put on that $20 dollar cable. Instead I blew $200 bucks but at least now I KNOW I have a brand new clutch (Honda original) and alot more knowledge.
Thanks guys.......

Pappy
05-19-2003, 05:37 PM
learn the KISS system and youll be alllllright:devil

KISS stands for...keep it simple stupid:p

250x_Case
08-07-2005, 05:31 PM
im having the same problem with my 250x this is the 2nd time i rode it.. but the thing is the bike was driving fine, i shut it off let it cool down then took it back to the trails as soon as i got over a hill i seen someone stoped so i slowed down and tryed to put it into netraul. but i wasnt fast enuff and when i came to a stop and held the clutch it just wasnt holdng the bike kept jumping forward. now the clutch is very hard to pull, even when i have it held all the way in its not holding up. can it be a cable or dose it need to be replaced.