PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantage to ZPS?

wilkin250r
05-19-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm finally getting to upgrade my suspension, and I'm leaning towards PEP (because I found somebody that can cut the lead time way down)

My question is, is there a disadvantage to ZPS? (other than price)

I'll admit, I'm not a pro-level racer, so I can probably get by with a less expensive setup. However, I have the money right now, and I'm willing to spend the extra money now so that I'll only have to upgrade once.

I'm not a suspension expert, by any means, so I'm not sure of all the differences between a regular setup (like Works) and ZPS, ( or SSD, SCS, any "zero preload" system). What are the major advantages of ZPS? Are there any drawbacks? Is it possible I'd be better off with a different setup? I'm looking to race both TT and MX, but only locally, I'm not a pro.

Foxrage
05-19-2003, 01:36 PM
There is no way that you can go wrong with getting zps shocks. I have only rode on pep zps and works standard and i wouldnt ever get rid of the zps unless im going with long travel.

quader400
05-19-2003, 01:40 PM
i have elka tripple rates with rezzies. and they have the top spring that is basically always compresed. is there a way to like buy a new spring so it can be zps or something.

Tommy 17
05-19-2003, 01:41 PM
there is no disadvantage to ZPS or SSd shocks...

they lower the quad which makes it handle better...

the valving is better in the shocks...

with the 2 inches in sag when u get in the ruff stuff it drops the wheel and the shock so that wheel is always on the ground...

i'll never buy anything with out ssd or zps... i love my elkas...

quader400
05-19-2003, 01:44 PM
what is ssd?

Tommy 17
05-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by quader400
i have elka tripple rates with rezzies. and they have the top spring that is basically always compresed. is there a way to like buy a new spring so it can be zps or something.

thats elkas version of the zps... its called ssd self saggin device... the top spring is always compressed to lower thee quad...

Foxrage
05-19-2003, 01:46 PM
self sagging device

quader400
05-19-2003, 01:57 PM
so for racing is the ssd spring better?

QuadTrix6
05-19-2003, 02:18 PM
theres no drawbacks to a Zero Preload System definelty go PEP, no disapointments here :)

K_Fulk
05-19-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
there is no disadvantage to ZPS or SSd shocks...

they lower the quad which makes it handle better...

the valving is better in the shocks...

with the 2 inches in sag when u get in the ruff stuff it drops the wheel and the shock so that wheel is always on the ground...

i'll never buy anything with out ssd or zps... i love my elkas...

I got a question. I know when you go fast over the rough stuff they should soak everything up , right. But does the shock work as well or at all if your just putting over stuff? Is there any travel left in the shock at all if you on the ground going slow?

Tommy 17
05-19-2003, 03:16 PM
k-fulk when i'm riding slow in ruff woods conditions they soak up everything just fine... the ssd spring extends and drops the wheel down into the bump and then it compresses it again... i got on a stk bike and i found bumps that i never knew were there with my elkas even riding in like 2nd gear...

it seems the harder u push the shocks the better they work... u can just keep hammering them harder and harder and they don't seem to ever get worse just better... the ruff u hit a bump the smoother they are... its so bad at times that the front of my quad soaks it up perfect then my stk rear shock hits the bump and wants to throw me over the handle bars... the fronts will take anything i've ever thrown at them... jumping, trail riding...

i just remembered... i was riding with DEREK from this site on some rail road tracks... it was like whoops a ft deep for about 4 miles... i was running behind him along the way... i say we were in 4th and he was really gettin beat up and tired... i would just throw the front end down inot the bumps and the elkas would soak it all up for 4 miles non stop beatin it with NO FADE...

i ran 5th wide open down through them one time to catch up after i almost wrecked not knowing of a ditch... the harder i hit the whoops and the old rain road ties the smoother they worked...

K_Fulk
05-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Alright i got ya, so there is still some travel when your going slow, i wonder if it is the same for peps? Since the pep zps spring is way lighter than the elka's scs spring?

bmw500hp
05-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Alright i got ya, so there is still some travel when your going slow, i wonder if it is the same for peps? Since the pep zps spring is way lighter than the elka's scs spring?

Fulk...I have the pep limited mass...now technically they are not the zps and you may not think they don't sag...wrong!@....

The quad sits 2-1/4" lower with them...They are not zps but they are no joke...The stock rear shock can in no way handle the speed you can get throgh the woods with the front pep's. Every time I ride I try to see if I can outdo them...NOT!...They just blast through everything...Now keep in mind these are off a pro am 250r and i ride them on an 400ex in the woods...Not even the right set up but still kick butt....:D

Also,,,no, they are not the smoothest while putting..they are smooth when you give it :devil

K_Fulk
05-20-2003, 02:05 AM
I know about the limited mass shocks i have a set of them. :macho I was wondering how the pep zps were when going slow compared to the elkas.

bmw500hp
05-20-2003, 03:15 AM
sorry bout that .now i see what you mean. actually wondered the same... would like personally to get set up for some softer slow riding as well as good handling at speed....:confused:

K_Fulk
05-20-2003, 03:27 AM
I think my limited mass shocks work ok when going slow (there setup for xc) And work well on jumps unless i have it at 50 inches wide.

I have had people tell that the zps shocks dont work well unless your hauling arse all the time. And i dont have the cash to buy some zps shocks just to try them out.

400grl
05-20-2003, 04:20 AM
My Elka SSD's are great in the slow stuff and the rough stuff.....

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-20-2003, 05:51 AM
You cannot go wrong with PEP ZPS Shocks, just about the only downfall to PEP Shocks is the wait time, if you even call that a drawback...

QuadTrix6
05-20-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
sorry bout that .now i see what you mean. actually wondered the same... would like personally to get set up for some softer slow riding as well as good handling at speed....:confused:

PEP will ask you a lot of questions when you order shocks so that they can be set up right the first time and set up for you and your bike, they asked all sorts of stuff like what nerfs do you run to what a arms company to what type of terrain you ride, when i got them they where set up perfect very small adj's were made..i love em :D

wilkin250r
05-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Well, I think I found a way around the wait time :devil

I was just worried that they do not perform as well unless you are launching 30ft doubles, but it sounds like they don't have any drawbacks other than price.

Dave400ex
05-20-2003, 11:20 AM
If you got the money for the PEP ZPS, and can get around the wait, go for it.

Bmw500hp, K_Fulk, I think I know the perfect guy to answer that question because that is a good one. PM 465Stroker and ask Rick how they work.

QuadTrix6
05-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I was just worried that they do not perform as well unless you are launching 30ft doubles, but it sounds like they don't have any drawbacks other than price.

no there great at everything from small jumps to big jumps, from small bumps to big bumps :cool:

OutlawEX
05-20-2003, 01:46 PM
got me a set after 2 weeks...LT yay.Nothing beats the True PEP ZPS set up

pane2k
05-20-2003, 03:16 PM
haha outlaw howd you get in 2 weeks,
By the way the zps shocks do not feel the greatest whiile putting over stuff, its when your really nailing stuff hard and flying is when they feel the best, On the slow stuff you might actually get thrown around a little bit IMO

wilkin250r
05-20-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX

Yep, I'm looking at a two week wait... :devil

RiPPiNiTuP7
05-20-2003, 03:23 PM

Bullchit :ermm: More like 6 months.

wilkin250r
05-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Bullchit :ermm: More like 6 months.

I'm talking with my source right now to see if I can give their name out if anybody else want to cut around the 6 month lead time...

310Rduner
05-20-2003, 07:28 PM
hey bout, TELL US NOW LOL.

seriously tho, tha'd be so sweet. tcs would loose so much business tho if there were no wait for pep

bradley300
05-21-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by quader400

thats zps/ssd. that spring lowers the ride hieght and helps to track better in choppy sections because it can use the down travel provided by the ssd spring wich helps keep all the tires on the ground.

wilkin250r
05-21-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by 310Rduner
hey bout, TELL US NOW LOL.

seriously tho, tha'd be so sweet. tcs would loose so much business tho if there were no wait for pep

I know there are some sets on ebay that are advertising 3-8 week lead time on PEP, you can start there...

bmw500hp
05-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Bmw500hp, K_Fulk, I think I know the perfect guy to answer that question because that is a good one. PM 465Stroker and ask Rick how they work. [/B]

Thats right...pep's on that cannondale in ATV Sport....

OutlawEX
05-21-2003, 03:28 PM

Woops sorry guys i said 2 weeks but i meant 22 weeks lol...

muff
05-25-2003, 03:49 PM

:eek:
i can barely wait 2 weeks for parts, never mind 5 months :eek: :eek2:

05-26-2003, 03:18 AM

DOH