PDA

View Full Version : edelbrock throttle problem

PHIL_B54
05-19-2003, 11:35 AM
i think i may have figured out the throttle sticking problem with my edelbrock quik silver, ive been fighting it all spring

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49904

i got the new cable and it definatly moved easier than the old one, so i go to put it in and it would not go in the wheel on the carb, i looked at the old cable and the ball thing was marked up pretty bad , then looking at the wheel, it seems to me like they should remove some material where the ball thing goes thru i think most of my problem was that little edge gauling up the ball and sticking i took a little die grinder and ground out the material and it made a world of differenc, it didnt fix it completely, but i think i need to take a little more off

i didnt get pics at the time (new camera)so i made some up, and these are also the pics of the old cable ends for comparison

PHIL_B54
05-19-2003, 11:36 AM
this is the side in the thumb throttle

PHIL_B54
05-19-2003, 11:38 AM
pretty rough but you get the idea

PHIL_B54
05-19-2003, 11:38 AM
as assembled

PHIL_B54
05-19-2003, 11:39 AM
last one

type3tom
05-19-2003, 01:52 PM
If you have an earlier version quiksilver you will have problems with the idle not coming down or reving high since the earlier ones had a rubber bushing thru the throttle shafts which swells up and causes those problems.Now they use a sealed bearing which if you send your carb to them they will retrofit the updated bearings on your carb.,I delt with that problem all last season.

PHIL_B54
05-19-2003, 02:19 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49904

already have the bearings, the thread above is where it started

type3tom
05-19-2003, 04:11 PM
Just read your other thread you had started and thats exactly what mine was doing .I just ran down to the garage and put the carb back on and guess what it still does it even after sending it to Edelbrock and whats worse is Im leaving for a 10 day trip to the dunes this Fri. It only does it when you dont snap the throttle back but I can maually hold the wheel on the carb closed and it will still idle really high then slowly come down even with the throttle cable disconnected,gonna have to call Edelbrock tomorrow.

PHIL_B54
05-20-2003, 03:34 AM
they are great to work with and they're real helpful, but in the end they didnt really fix it for me

mine stuck the whole time i was in the dunes, it sucked everyone probibly thought i was some kind of dumb ***** cause i kept reving the engine hard to get it to drop to an idle

good luck

maxoutput
05-20-2003, 11:27 AM
I talked to edelbrock today and told them it still wont return back to to idle,,,,it does if you snap the throttle,,,, I told chris to send me 2 stronger springs...Guess it wont be here for this weekend up @ shamoken.

:confused2

type3tom
05-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Edelbrock makes stronger return springs?

PHIL_B54
05-21-2003, 10:36 AM
a little stronger :macho spring would def finish off my problem

has anyone else checked on what i was talking about with the wheel and interference with the cable

type3tom
05-21-2003, 11:10 AM
I really dont think mine has anything to do with the cable since the problem still happens even with the cable disconnected.

PHIL_B54
06-13-2003, 01:54 AM
i took it apart for my new spring

PHIL_B54
06-13-2003, 01:54 AM
so i ground it to look like this

honda350r
06-13-2003, 02:36 AM
I hate those carbs!! They leak and the throttles stick! FCR for me boys!

denile
06-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Look straight down from the top of the carb while its installed,make sure the throttle cable is going staight into the groove.You may just need to twist the carb slightly.That is all I had to do when my throttle was sticking.

PHIL_B54
06-16-2003, 04:16 PM
i havent had a chance to run it yet more than idling around the yard twice, but again it did not seem to fix my problem. i know it helped but it stick stuck once or twice. i guess i will just have to live with it

i will check that out though, thankyou

bcapien
01-04-2010, 02:42 PM
So i thought i would post the problem with carb that is causing the high idle.. Its a quick and easy fix that everyone can do at home.. If your carb is staying at high idle then slowly drops back after a few seconds your throttle wheel came lose.. If you look at wheel you will see 2 very small holes on the top and side of wheel where the cable rides.. Its a very small screw.. What you need to do is the block that the pump piston mounts to on the side of carb.. Its a square block.. Back off the idle screw and push that block forward as if the throttle is all the way off.. Now grab the wheel and push forward also.. You will notice that there is a bit of play in the wheel.. You will need to push wheel forward and tighten the small set screw and this will solve your problem..The reason you have a high idle then it drops back is because its really not closing fast like it should because the wheel is backed off and the spring doesnt have proper amount of pressure on it.. The vaccum is what is making it drop back to normal idle.. Its seems like its closed all the way but its really not.. You can pm me and i will send you my cell number to help out..