PDA

View Full Version : 400's tired

slosh13
05-19-2003, 06:41 AM
Well i want to keep my 400ex at its stock bore, but i want to get the most power by doing that. Give me details on the biggest piston i can use( I have a Wiseco 11:1 now, but i prefer to have a JE or Ross for reassurance), what kinda cam would be good for motocross (looking at the hotcam stage 2, HRC, and xr400 cams) what kind of valves and valve springs would be sufficient (titanium??), what kind of gaskets to use( cosmetic or OEM), if its a good idea to bore my carb to a 38mm or leave it stock, im looking into doing a port and polish job and i was going to do that for midrange ( does that sound good?), what kind of jetting would i have t do if i did any type of motor work?(I have a TC slip on and I found that there was no use for jetting its running perfect). I am sort of on a tight to average spending budget for all of this, if that says anything..... I was told by my motor mechanic that if i get tired of the above modifications or i carve "MORE POWER", he will make my bike a 440, using a new concept idea from L.A. Sleeve with there 440 sleeve( which is thicker and less resistant to heat), high compression piston, port and polish, Carillo rod, etc. My mechanic builds some very strong motors for A MX riders and Pro GNCC racers and I have yet to find one person who disagrees with his work. Tell me any of your setups or would like to comment on this post. later

SPONSORS FOR 03'
JP CYCLE
HETRICK RACING
MY BAD RACING
SCOTT'S AMSOIL
B-TOWN BOYZ RACING
S.H.I. RACING
along with help from: EXRIDERS.COM, C&D RACING, WRP POWERSPORTS, SALEM OIL, and LINE-X spray-on bedliners

"Man, you must be fast cuz I was haulin a#$ when I passed you":devil

redrizza
05-19-2003, 07:18 AM
I have a 416cc JE 10.8:1 w/hotcams II and a T4 slip-on. Because of the high compression I have to run around 100 octane. It seems to be reliable so far. My bike is just a hair off of fully built 440's and really not all that far off of even all the newer dirtbike motors. I get decent holeshots against most of them. Odviously if I was ligned up to them at the dragstrip they'd toast me, but that doesn't seem to be the case on dirt.

After shopping around I was able to do these mods myself for $300. I'm pretty happy with how well it goes for $300.

slosh13
05-19-2003, 07:40 AM
Where did you get all your parts from and how much were they?

SPONSORS FOR 03'
JP CYCLE
HETRICK RACING
MY BAD RACING
SCOTT'S AMSOIL
B-TOWN BOYZ RACING
S.H.I. RACING
along with help from: EXRIDERS.COM, C&D RACING, WRP POWERSPORTS, SALEM OIL, and LINE-X spray-on bedliners

"Man, you must be fast cuz I was haulin a#$ when I passed you"

redrizza
05-19-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by slosh13
Where did you get all your parts from and how much were they?

Well, I don't remember the specific price for each part, I got them through my local shop. I believe they ordered the piston and cam from White Bros. After I was done, I totalled up the piston, cam, gaskets, and cylindar bore and it came out to right around $300.