PDA

View Full Version : Which handlebar bend? Height/Angle advice please...

thejeepdude
05-19-2003, 06:24 AM
OK, so what are the pros and cons of the different bends? Is one more suited towards taller riders? I'm almost 6'3 and the stock bars just didn't quite feel "right" especially standing up and hauling *** up the rough stuff... although since I'm still new to this ATV thing, it may have just been me. Now that the stock bars have bent into a shape resembling that of a pretzel, I've decided on some new Renthals or something similar. I'm just not sure whether I should try something lower and/or a little more forward (12 degree instead of 14 degree bend?). Any taller riders out there have an opinion? How does the height and angle affeect different styles of riding, etc?

GNCC#829
05-19-2003, 06:33 AM
You might try a +1 or +2 inch steering stem

Glow Plug
05-19-2003, 06:45 AM
you could try a cr-hi bend or double high and if that doesn't help you might have to try a bigger stearing stem like +1 or +2 :)

y2k400ex
05-19-2003, 07:49 AM
I,m 6'4", I extended my steering stem by 1' this helps allot it keeps your back straighter when you stand up through the rough stuff. I cut and had a extention tig welded on that I machined from stainless steel. Its better than paying $350 for a after market one :D

KY Woods Rider
05-19-2003, 01:28 PM
I'm 6'2" and I ride standing up most of the time (except for corners), so the first thing I replaced on my EX was the handlebars. I didn't want to buy a new steering stem, so I just bought the tallest Renthal bars I could find, the Renthal "Fourtrax bend" (also known as the "250R bend"). The Renthal Fourtrax bend is tall enough that I can ride standing up and not have to be bent over so much that I'm uncomfortable. I also tilt my bars forward some, until the end of the bars start to point upward just a bit. By tilting the bars forward some, it makes them just a bit taller and takes away some of the sweep (the bend back toward the rider).

My perferred set-up is actually a +2" stem and Cr-Hi bend bars, but since I haven't bent anything yet and the Renthals and stock stem are working fine, I haven't wanted to cough up the money to change.

As for the angles and height, if you stand up a lot, then you will probably like taller bars with less sweep. If you sit down a lot, then shorter bars with more sweep will be more comfortable. However, this is only a guideline and everyone has different preferences, but this is what most riders choose based on their riding style. As another note, almost all aftermarket bars will have less sweep than the stockers, but the only way to get bars with very little sweep is to run dirt bike handlebars. Since dirt bike handlebars are quite a bit shorter than ATV bars though, you will most likely need a +1" or +2" steering stem to get them up high enough to keep you from looking like a hunchback while riding.

Tommy 17
05-19-2003, 01:44 PM
i have renthal 400ex bend and they are alot higher then stk and they are less swept back in stk... heres a front pic so u can get a idea of how high they are over the stk... i'm aroung 6'0 tall and they feel perfect to me...

i sat on a 400ex today with cr low bend and wow i felt like iw as humped over and riding lazy...

thejeepdude
05-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks all for the advice... I was in a pickle as I am leaving for sand mountain tomorrow night and had pretzel bars... ran around town to 5 different shops and it seems no one carries a friggin selection of ATV bars. I finally found some renthal 400EX bars and they looked OK. 85 bucks later, I head home and start pulling off the old bars... only to realize that my stem was bent!!!! :mad: The top 4" or so (just above the top bracket) were tilted to the right and back about 1/2" or so. I pulled it apart and attempted to straighten it out on a press, but it flattened the tube a little bit where it's inside the bushing... hopefully it will hold together enough for this sand mountain trip, but most of the jumps should be fairly delicate as my elbow is still in pretty bad pain from the crash :( Anyways, when I get back I'm going to be shopping for stems. I'm thinkin the Arens' one looks pretty good (even though I'm stiiiiilllll waiting for my nerfs). I think he sells it for $229 or so... anyone else worth looking at in that price range or less? What are the pros and cons of each one? I'm definitely thinking a +1 shaft, btw.

GNCC#829
05-20-2003, 02:23 AM
They are all about the same quality. The price is good on the Houser stem.:D

thejeepdude
05-20-2003, 07:51 AM
How much is the Houser?

GNCC#829
05-20-2003, 08:36 AM
210 for just the stem 270 for the clamp too. 299 for a chrome stem with a clamp.

thejeepdude
05-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by GNCC#829
210 for just the stem 270 for the clamp too. 299 for a chrome stem with a clamp.

That's a good price? That's more than the Arens stem. What's the difference between the two?

GNCC#829
05-20-2003, 10:06 AM
From what I understand, they are all about the same quality. How much is the Arens stem?

Jnine
05-20-2003, 06:28 PM
Arens Stem price:

$239 with the clamps, and the clamps are avialable in either standard (7/8") size, or 1.125" (Pro-Taper).