PDA

View Full Version : steering dampener & vibration questions

Nausty
05-18-2003, 04:42 PM
First i've been thinking about getting a steering dampener and am wondering if its worth it. I've never ridden a quad w/ one and I don't know how much it would help with the 20" front tires woundering around all the time. Would it help that much?

Also for some reason my handle bars vibrate a TON and I don't know why. I have a slightly bent stem and bent bars but don't think it would cause it to vibrate more. ANyone else have this problem?:p

AndrewRRR
05-18-2003, 05:13 PM
I think it's definately worth it. It makes a big difference in high speed stuff.

Pappy
05-18-2003, 05:21 PM
check the engine mounts(all of them) alot of vibration comes from a loose bolt or two.

and a good dampner will do wonders when yer haul'n the mail in the ruff stuff:macho

Nausty
05-18-2003, 05:24 PM
Could you go into more detail on what is good about it and why? :D I'm never really in high speed situations unless i'm about to hit a 4th gear ramp.

Basically I wanna know if it will help to keep the quad from woundering around a lot through the rough stuff.

EDIT: Thanks pap!

Pappy
05-18-2003, 05:28 PM
i noticed that i could go straight in ruff terrain alot easier with a dampner. they are basically designed to keep the bars from jumping outta yer hands at every bump. i have no opinion of them on a MX track.....i guess if it was badly rutted it would be a benefit. i know i wont ride a quad for very long without one now that ive gotton used to it. im trying to find out the best stem to use with a "scotts" style dampner now......the typical styles are ok....but i like being able to adjust it without stopping

Taco
05-18-2003, 11:15 PM
pappy why don't you look into the GPR setup it mounts the same as the Scotts and also features the Hi and lo speed adjustments while costing less.

05-19-2003, 05:48 AM
Nausty,,,,having them little 19 an 20 inch front tires suck when it comes to rough tracks. YOu feel every little bump and jar to your arms because the tires are just to small to absorb any of the bumps. The stabilizers do help alot in these situations....you will not be wasting your money if you get one even if it's for MX use only. I bought one when that's all i did was MX race and could tell a huge difference the first day out...:macho