PDA

View Full Version : First wreck... ouch! Need new bars...

thejeepdude
05-18-2003, 04:37 PM
I can't believe it. No sooner had I posted in here that "hey, i'm just a beginner so I shouldn't need bars anytime soon" I bent my bars!!! I decided to try out the MX track and Mammoth Bar this evening... after a couple laps I felt pretty confident and got a little air over the table tops. Well, I decided instead of hitting the jump in 3rd, I'd hit it in 4th the next time around... it was awesome... although I can already see these stock shocks are going to have to GO! The problem started when I realized the banked turn after the jump comes up a lot faster when you hit it in fourth :eek2: I missed the turn, got launched through the fence and down a rocky ledge... into blackberry bushes! :mad: knocked my face on my bars [hard enough to bend them!], flipped over and jumped away from the quad. It landed balancing upside down on the headlights... STILL RUNNING! My nose was bleeding but my first thought was 4 strokes don't like running upsidedown! I flipped her over and rode to the top... there was this guy on a raptor just sitting there with his jaw dropped saying he saw the whole thing and thought "either that guy is a badass or he just crashed HARD". :devil Checked her over and bars seem to be the only damage! Whew! My body faired OK, although I can tell I'm not 21 anymore :rolleyes: ... just a twisted elbow, bloody nose, abrasion on my hip, a few bruises, and a bunch of scratches... all I have to say is WHAT AN AWESOME NIGHT!!! :macho YEEAAAHh... I love my new toy!! :D :D

So, now I gotta get some bars... Renthal seems to have a good rep... taking recommendations more seriously now! :p

JUSTINcredible
05-18-2003, 05:10 PM
get some $20 dollar moose bars so the next time they get bent it doesnt set you back so far

sweet300ex
05-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by MNmxblaster37
get some $20 dollar moose bars so the next time they get bent it doesnt set you back so far
LMAO thats what i do

SGA
05-19-2003, 12:42 AM
LOL, glad to see you're ok. Get some good bars. I do not think I would trust cheap bars if you're going to be jumping. They will fold down on you if you land hard.
My renthals felt much better than my steel stockers, you could feel the way the quad handled through the bars better.
Maybe someone else can explain better what im saying.

jcv400ex
05-19-2003, 12:42 AM
Get the Tag X-5's. $70

K_Fulk
05-19-2003, 01:05 AM
Get some tags or renthals. The good aluminum bars dont bend like steel bars. My renthals have lasted almost 3 years , got them after my first mx race:) .

hessianmx111
05-19-2003, 04:05 AM
when i still had the stock steel bars on my kx100 after the first time laying it over in the corner they were bent all to hell. so instead of spending 20 dollars on new steel bars every month i decided id put my money to good use and bought the 75 dollar renthal aluminum bars and am still going on a year without a single bend and plenty of bad crashes ie: endoed over in a ditch,flipped riding a wheelie on the road, countless front end washouts, and a few rolls down a hill, and last but not least coming up short on a 30 foot double from about 6-7 feet up. so what im trying to say is get renthals or someother aluminum bar.

thejeepdude
05-19-2003, 04:42 AM
Sounds like it's worth the bux for a good aftermarket set of bars... I don't mind spending the cash if I have to do it less often vs. cheapo bars. Has anyone here used those bars that have an adjustable pivot where the cross bar attaches with a rubber bushing in there? I forgot the name of them, but they're pretty sweet looking, although like $225 if I remember correctly... anyone got the link to that site? Is this just insane to spend on bars? It seems like it might be worth it if they're guaranteed to never break/bend.

hessianmx111
05-19-2003, 05:12 AM
you might wanna try www.fasstco.com
i dont know if thats an actual site or not but its worth a try. and also i think it would be weird riding with those bars because they are gonna flex over bumps but you may like that. if you do get them make sure to do a review for us.

thejeepdude
05-19-2003, 05:57 AM
yeah, those are them... wow 300 bux!! :eek2: OK, so maybe these are going to have to wait until I find some cash mysteriously growing on a tree somewhere. :rolleyes:

hessianmx111
05-19-2003, 06:06 AM
yeah thats a little too pricey just buy some renthals, you wont regret it.

Glow Plug
05-19-2003, 06:23 AM
congrats :D go with some tag's or renthals there the best :D

pane2k
05-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
congrats :D go with some tag's or renthals there the best :D

:p

lil400exman
05-19-2003, 09:58 AM
tags are great for me......................:macho

honda400exrider
05-19-2003, 10:17 AM
go with renthals, they lasted my very well going through abuse...