PDA

View Full Version : Mx Or Xc

Ryan
05-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Well before you tell me to use the search button, let me explain ;) . I have made a thread awhile ago on the same topic but im really stumped now on what to do. When I do get a new Quad, I need one setup to focus on, either MX or XC :rolleyes: . I really can't decide what I want to do. I love the trails and the mud, but I also love the jumps at the track. I plan to race one or the other. Also, which one will be the cheepier way to go (in the long run)?

Please give me some input on your own opinions, I really appreciate it!

AtvMxRider
05-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
. Also, which one will be the cheepier way to go (in the long run)?

Neither. They are both expensive as hell.

trx400ex
05-18-2003, 01:24 PM
i think xc would be cheaper, but i dont race it

redrider24
05-18-2003, 01:26 PM
i had the same question. i can't decide either

cdalejef
05-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Well.....GNCC's run on MX tracks alot. I would think XC would be cheaper cause you don't have to have a modified quad to do well.

Ryan
05-18-2003, 02:06 PM
I agree..... In MX, the quad plays a larger factor than XC which is gonna put a hole in my pocket.

For those of you who race the GNCC's, How hard is it to race for 2 hours straight? Im really doubting I could finish a 2 hour race :p .

cdalejef
05-18-2003, 02:09 PM
If you pace yourself, it will be easier than you think! At first, make it your goal to just finish. You'll be suprised how well you do.

Pappy
05-18-2003, 02:12 PM

For those of you who race the GNCC's, How hard is it to race for 2 hours straight? Im really doubting I could finish a 2 hour race :p .

pace yourself.....i have a problem of runnin WFO and im wore out after a lap or 2:p

rico has his quad up too run both MX and XC. its not that hard....but it wont be as good on mx as a quad set up for just MX

honda250xrider
05-18-2003, 02:13 PM
another thing to think about, you are running for longer periods of time and with heavily modified engines this could be a problem, you will need to get a couple sets of tires, and who knows what might happen out there........ you never know what might come up out there? but for the most part i would say gncc for being cheaper

Ryan
05-18-2003, 02:41 PM
I would really like to start racing XC but I really am a jump freak and im wondering how those quads do compared to the MX bikes.

Maybe in the future I will do what Rico does.....

Drink a few beers and party :blah , LMAO.

Keep the idea's coming.

toby400ex
05-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Do as much as possible of both, like me :p

05-19-2003, 03:20 AM
Well I do both and have to swap out alot of crap to race both,,,kinda gettin old already. Adjustable axle is a plus, 2 sets of tires and rims. Changing out sprockets, front plastic, hand guards...it's fun to do both but you'll never stop tinkerin with the quad if you do this. Anymore i think i wrench on the quad 4 times as much as actually riding it.. Also,,you will tear stuff up in both,,,but i'd have to say XC is takin it's toll on the quad alot more than MX ever has.. :ermm:

Ryan
05-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Well I do both and have to swap out alot of crap to race both,,,kinda gettin old already. Adjustable axle is a plus, 2 sets of tires and rims. Changing out sprockets, front plastic, hand guards...it's fun to do both but you'll never stop tinkerin with the quad if you do this. Anymore i think i wrench on the quad 4 times as much as actually riding it.. Also,,you will tear stuff up in both,,,but i'd have to say XC is takin it's toll on the quad alot more than MX ever has.. :ermm:

I'll see how money works out with that.

As for XC tearing the quad up, It will probably be the same money for repairs as it is to pay the race fee for MX :confused2 .

BTW Rico, since you are racing both MX and XC, which do you enjoy more?

Keep the idea's coming!

toby400ex
05-19-2003, 09:06 AM
Race fee is has always been the same for me, and it does seem that the xc tears the qud up more. After my mx race yesterday i still felt like going for some more laps, that doesnt happen to me in xc racing.:ermm:

Ryan
05-19-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Race fee is has always been the same for me, and it does seem that the xc tears the qud up more. After my mx race yesterday i still felt like going for some more laps, that doesnt happen to me in xc racing.:ermm:

I know what you mean. But one thing I like better in the 20 minute mx races rather then the 2 hour xc races is I don't really have to ease up or pace myself as much.

toby400ex
05-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Since the track near me has a race almost every month i will prolly be practicing there, and racing there more. So that means less xc now, and i wont have to buy spare tires and wheels. But that also means if i wanna go up classes very much i will need some suspension mods. I already have shocks planned anyway, but that axel is kinda tweaked.:eek:

Ryan
05-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Do you think your gonna stop racing XC eventually?

The reason why im really worried about what to race is because if I buy a 400ex, I will probably only do XC with it. If I plan to race MX, then im gonna wait to see what Yamaha or Honda do..... Maybe see if they come out with something more competitive on the MX track.

250rmike
05-19-2003, 01:55 PM
i am in the same dilema. i need another quad cause right now i am without one. but since i traded it to my bro i was thinking of getting a 4x4 sport bike(like a polaris i know dont laugh) for the time being and racing some xc and maybe if he lets me racing some mx with my old r. i just dont have the money to build and race a mx bike and i needed a new car so

toby400ex
05-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Do you think your gonna stop racing XC eventually?

The reason why im really worried about what to race is because if I buy a 400ex, I will probably only do XC with it. If I plan to race MX, then im gonna wait to see what Yamaha or Honda do..... Maybe see if they come out with something more competitive on the MX track.
I dont think i will ever stop racing it. I will be able to do more of both when i can drive my self to them, and when i have more money to blow on racing. Some of the pro racers around here race both mx and xc, they have a quad for both, i hope to be like that someday.:devil

dirtriderex
05-20-2003, 01:48 AM
I love xc personally because it is based on endurance and not just who is the craziest f*** on the track, althogh jumping is the funnest thing about owning a quad. I waiting for honda to come out with a new quad thogh because sometime you could reaaly use a reverse while racing xc.

Ryan
05-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Decisions, Decisions :devil .

Toby, Im hoping I can do the same thing in the future.

250rmike, you should look into buying an lt250r, if you can find one. They usually go for real cheap and are probably ok for the woods :ermm: .

Anyways, for now im kinda leaning towards the XC stuff. I really like the type of crowd of people there, also. The only thing thats really holding me back is I feel I can do more things with an MX setup. Correct me if im wrong.

250rmike
05-20-2003, 10:34 AM
na if i stay 2 stroke it gonna be another r but im thinking of going 4 stroke

Ryan
05-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 250rmike
na if i stay 2 stroke it gonna be another r but im thinking of going 4 stroke

Well 400ex's are going for real cheep these days. There still competitive in the woods.

250rmike
05-20-2003, 11:10 AM
yea thats what im looking at then throughing some little things on and racing stk class at some gncc's

Ryan
05-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by 250rmike
yea thats what im looking at then throughing some little things on and racing stk class at some gncc's

Well thats better then your "Utility Polaris" Idea ;) :p .

Rip_Tear
05-20-2003, 12:06 PM
Personnally, I like XC better, you can and still do jumps but I like the ride more then just jumping! I also agree with the cheaper thing, you can still do good on a less modded quad.

Good luck Ryan

chippy
05-20-2003, 04:53 PM
On the local level not much difference in cost to run mx or xc
both very expensive. On the national level gncc is less
costly because you only race one day as opposed to usually
three days at a gnc mx event if you practice on friday.

Steve-O
05-21-2003, 12:11 AM
ryan if you want you team up with us and go to a few Harescrambles in the WNYOA series. To see how you would like it.

The problem for us to do XC we have to drive pretty far to find em.
MX we have Walden and Diamondback less than a hour away.

Ryan
05-21-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Steve-O
ryan if you want you team up with us and go to a few Harescrambles in the WNYOA series. To see how you would like it.

The problem for us to do XC we have to drive pretty far to find em.
MX we have Walden and Diamondback less than a hour away.

That would be great.

I think I made my decision (for now). Im gonna give XC a shot! Thanks for all the great replys.

lil400exman
05-22-2003, 03:54 AM
i was in ur boat man but xc is just to hard on the machine................and if you build a machine build it for one purpose only trail ride and stuff cause you cant have a perfect all around quad so i am building a mx quad cause thats all i do around here..................:macho

QuadRacer041
05-22-2003, 11:32 PM
I would really like to start racing XC but I really am a jump freak and im wondering how those quads do compared to the MX bikes.

Maybe in the future I will do what Rico does.....

Drink a few beers and party :blah , LMAO.

Keep the idea's coming.

well, in my opinion u can jump just about the same jumps on your xc bike as on your mx bike.i think the extra width of the mx bike doesnt affect jumping too much, i can pretty much hit any jump on my xc bike, i think as long as u have good shocks it shouldnt be a problem, if i remember right wired used to run a stock 400ex front end and i think he is one of the best jumpers on this site.

mx517
05-23-2003, 04:22 AM
Set your bike up for xc, but order a set of offset rims and tires for mx just so you can compete in the novice class.

Ryan
05-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the advice!

How does the XC setup work in the desert races? I think Doug Echnier's 250r has more of an MX setup but I also see William Yokely competing in some of those events.

QuAdRaCeR244
05-24-2003, 05:41 PM
i like mx a lot better

kevsracin
05-27-2003, 06:36 AM
i race mx and i love it, i think it has more of a future than xc because it is more open to film, and is easier for spectators to watch. just look at the dirtbike mx, and xc nationals, the mx nationals get more publicity. oh and i think both are expensive as hell too!!

Ryan
05-27-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by kevsracin
i race mx and i love it, i think it has more of a future than xc because it is more open to film, and is easier for spectators to watch. just look at the dirtbike mx, and xc nationals, the mx nationals get more publicity. oh and i think both are expensive as hell too!!

I think they both have a great future. I could really care less about the amout of publicity.

I had decided to change my mind again :o . Im gonna race mx and see if I can enter a few xc races :ermm: .

Time will tell, though :scary: .

AtvMxRider
05-27-2003, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the advice!

How does the XC setup work in the desert races?

There are no deserts in New York dumb*****......lol :blah:

Ryan
05-27-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
There are no deserts in New York dumb*****......lol :blah:

:grr:

Zip it!

;)