PDA

View Full Version : Getting the tool kit cap to stay on

excess
05-18-2003, 12:48 PM
The tool kit lid has a lot of play and after I installed my new exhaust it starts loosen itself up. What have you guys done to keep it on?

BigDog400ex
05-18-2003, 12:59 PM
i took and pulled out the little foam gasket from the end cap(don't tear it) then trace the gasket onto a sheet of thick cardboard then cut it out stuff it in the cap first then the foam gasket and tighten it down,, it will wear out so yopu'll have to make a new one after a while but it works so what the he//, it also helps keep the water out.

Chanman420q
05-18-2003, 02:13 PM
my 400 never came with a cap... and i just bought one off ebay today to replace it. I hope this one doesnt come off. i also wanna know on how to keep it on... i might just take a strap of duct tape and put it over. It may be ugly but i know my sparkplug fuses ect wont be falling out and they will be there when i need em

KY Woods Rider
05-18-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i might just take a strap of duct tape and put it over. It may be ugly but i know my sparkplug fuses ect wont be falling out and they will be there when i need em

Yep, that's my preferred method. I get a piece of black duct tape (so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb) and wrap all the way around where the cap meets the tool kit. It's easy to get the lid off if you need to (just yank the duct tape off) and as an added bonus, if you make a complete wrap over the gap where the cap meets the tool kit, then it will also help prevent water from getting in.

norrisboat
05-18-2003, 02:32 PM
The way I keep mine on is to take out all the tools. Mine has never had a problem with coming loose. haha. Its true. You should try it.

CowsBitePeople
05-18-2003, 03:00 PM
mine fell off a long time ago....i just carry a back pack....

Glamis400ex
05-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Take the cap off, and run 5-7 wraps of black electrical tape around the threads. This will increase the contact pressure when its installed. If done correctly, you should have to give the cap just a little push to twist it on.

After 2 years, it still works perfect. I don't ever worry about mine coming loose.

Glamis

RIDER11X
05-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Your cap at one time had a thin foam liner inside the cap. That is what keeps your cap tight. I removed the liner, put a couple dabs of silicone sealer in the cap and stuck the liner back into the cap to the silicone, and I don't need to worry about it anymore.

Works well!:)

"BLAHH"300!!
05-18-2003, 10:44 PM
no tool box.
.i don't carry much with me, but if i need to, i might stick screwdriver, 2 or 3 sockets, an extention and a rachet in my air box...all wrapped up in a "CROWN ROYAL" bag..blahh
..they bounce around, and make noise when you land a jump..
....ah well atleast their there.

phatswinn
05-19-2003, 09:37 AM
drill a hole in the container and a hole in the cap and tie a string to each so if it does fall of you dont loose it, the use the electrical tape trick liek glamis stated and ull be set

i just took mine off though, its ugly

excess
05-19-2003, 10:33 AM
I just took mine off like you did but the point of it is not to fall so I can keep my phone and tools while I am riding.

lil400exman
05-19-2003, 11:37 AM
mine never has come loose or anything i dont know what u guys are talkin about....................:confused: :huh

JD400exrider
05-19-2003, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Glamis400ex
Take the cap off, and run 5-7 wraps of black electrical tape around the threads. This will increase the contact pressure when its installed. If done correctly, you should have to give the cap just a little push to twist it on.

My gasket has come off. Great idea Glamis. I will try it. :D

bmw500hp
05-20-2003, 04:42 PM
just stick a rubber band on the cylinder right on the threads..then screw the cap on...works just like the tape...:)

Bill Fuller
05-20-2003, 05:11 PM
My tool box meet someones front bumber many many races ago I carry all I need in my Camelback.

CoorsMan
05-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Just drill a small hole and put a small sheet metal screw or a wing screw. It works great and u know the $hit is in there ehrn u need it.

optikid123
05-21-2003, 02:30 PM
a little teflon tape wrapped around the threads

tryken
05-21-2003, 06:24 PM
coorsman- thats what I did.

hondarider2006
05-21-2003, 07:25 PM
mine never came with an end cap.... whoever owned it before me took a large sock, wraped all the tools in it, and shoved it in there. It worked great until I could do long wheelies....than on my way home I would see my tools scattered everywhere...:ermm:

R-Crazy
05-22-2003, 09:02 AM
i took out the gasket. and globbed some black silicone behind it, let it dry overnight, and its never fallen off since.

dave

quadperson
05-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Drill a hole in the cap and one in the end of the box. Run a small peice of bungee cord through and knot both ends on the outside of the box and the cap. Make sense? Oh yeah, take the hooks off the bungee. If you want to make sure the stuff inside stays dry, put it in a ziploc bag.