PDA

View Full Version : how tight or loose should my suspension be

12-31-2001, 03:10 PM
i have a question:confused: i wiegh 220 and i have a 2001 400ex all stock and i never tightened or loosened the suspension. well i am a big jumper i try anything and everything but half the time i bottom out. like yesterday i went to a nice little sand pit with my friend and i saw a flat jump thats was like 5 feet hight i tried it and i almost broke my (EDITED KEEP IT CLEAN) wrists and ankles it bottomed out and hurt like (EDITED) . what should i do any susgestions :rolleyes: :huh

NJ300ex
12-31-2001, 03:15 PM
...this post needs to be moved to the chassis forum.

On stock suspension you can only adjust preload. Preload makes the shock come back to its original lenght faster or slower. Adjusting the stock shocks will not help bottoming. I suggest getting some moderatly priced shocks such as works triple rates and getting your rear shock rebuilt. This will stop your bottoming problem.

12-31-2001, 03:20 PM
can anyone else help me out with this problem i need to be able to hit bigger jumps without bottoming out and without buying new suspension. and it dont really matter where this post is:macho

trx400ex
12-31-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by yel400exman
can anyone else help me out with this problem i need to be able to hit bigger jumps without bottoming out and without buying new suspension. and it dont really matter where this post is:macho
yes it does matter,,, YOU CANT ADJUST STOCK SHOCKS TO MUCH EXTENT,,,,, nj300ex told it like it is, no one else is gonna be able to argue unless they found some hidden adjustment,, you need new shocks, i needed new shocks and i wiegh 165

12-31-2001, 09:56 PM
I had the same problem. Call Works suspension & order triple rate's set up for your weight & riding, & two weeks later problem solved for less that $350. Some of the best money I spent on my new 400. "before you can go big, or fast you have to be able to control it"

Clay
01-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Tighten the preload on your front shocks. It will help bottoming. It increases the tension on the springs, which in turn, makes the suspension harder (harder to bottom). It wont help as much as aftermarket, but it will help somewhat. Keep in mind that this will make the ride quite a bit harsher as well.

01-02-2002, 06:54 AM
Well the only fix for bottoming stock shocks is not to jump anymore,,,eventually your gonna blow the seals in your stockers shocks and they ain't gonna work at all. You'll also stress the frame and other areas of your bike from bottoming,,causing cracks, brakes, etc. Your only fix is new front shocks and a rebuilt rear,,which the rear will cost ya about $250,,that's a new spring for your wieght,,and all the bells and whisltes,,send it to Terry at marcums for a good price..