PDA

View Full Version : gas just flows out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

300EXrider02
05-18-2003, 11:02 AM
I have had enough of this quad, the gas hose from the bowl on the carb just is leaking gas like nothintg else, it just empty on the yard, that was cool, and now just keeps coming out, I love hondas:grr
please save the dumbass coments, likje tighten the bowl screw, or stupid stuf, thanks

Paul400ex2002
05-18-2003, 11:05 AM
i'm taking a wild guess here, but are all the valves and such in the bowl seating right? i really don't know if that'd affect anything... but it seems like it might... Sorry i can't be of much help.

Chanman420q
05-18-2003, 11:20 AM
i had the same problem... mine was that the cab thing that goes over the main jet was messing with my floats, holding it up higher, so the carb thought it had way to much has in it and it just poored out.

300EXrider02
05-18-2003, 11:28 AM
i think that might be it, thanks a lot, becasue i remember trying to put it back on right

KY Woods Rider
05-18-2003, 11:32 AM
It sounds like you've probably got a stuck float. Pull the float bowl off and make sure the float and float valve are working properly. Also, make sure there isn't any gas inside the float. While it's not very likely, the float could have a hole in it which would allow it to fill up with gas and act just like it was stuck.

300EXrider02
05-18-2003, 12:08 PM
well I tried it and it wasnt that, unless i am setting it up wrong, does anyone have a picture? could it be anything else? like the main jet adaptor is not screwed in enough, (the thing that you leave when re-jetting, the stock adaptor):huh :confused:

White_Knuckles
05-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Under the float arm where the hinge pin passes through there is the needle/seat assembly. Remove the float pin and check the removable rubber tipped needle. This is what controls fuel level and flow like a toilet float valve. Often it is dirt on the needle or it simply needs replaced ($5.00 at the shop). It's hard to see by eye the needle condition seal, re-try only if you remove dirt. They fail when dried out and drip fuel, a steady stream out of the overflow hose points to a float or needle valve jam. The float depresses the needle very lightly to seat or shut off flow. It needs full range to touch the needle tip lightly, move it gently by hand and check for binds.

It is not the main jet unless somehow it's causing a bind with float movement.

300EXrider02
05-19-2003, 05:02 AM
before i go getting myself into a huge mess, it is a 2002 i dont think dirt is clogging it, when i move the float up and down it moves freely, what else could it be?

YZROOSTINYA
05-19-2003, 05:45 AM
your float is stuck open or it is not sealed anymore and is not longer floating

Mxbubs
05-19-2003, 06:10 AM
"gas just flows out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Dude I have the same problem after I eat Taco Bell. I think my valve gets stuck open. What do you think?:eek:

300EXrider02
05-19-2003, 06:58 AM
well how do I know if it is stuck open? and how do i put it back together? does anyone have any pics?

thanks a lot in advance

White_Knuckles
05-19-2003, 08:08 AM
If the float is sinking, it will be heavy and slosh with gas when you take it out and shake or examine it. The rubber tipped needle can fail flooding over but is unusual for 2 years old unless it dried out or just failed from storage.

If the float, floats submerged in water or gas, and the arm moves bind free it's the needle valve. hook up a small test fuel line and when the float arm gently touches the needle top (operated by hand) blow lightly in the test fuel inlet hose and listen for hiss or any air escaping. I've replaced many needles to solve this common problem. What is weird about yours is the fuel pouring out the overflow instead of dripping like a normal needle failure.

White_Knuckles
05-19-2003, 08:21 AM
You need to check out the valve/float needle by eye it may be stuck open. You cannot assume it's not dirt because of age etc.

Just slip out the float hinge pin & lift out the float and pull the valve needle straight up carfully as the needle may be attached to the float arm with a small wire hanger. It's easy and no way will you get in trouble unless you force things. Carb float, needle & seat parts are made for easy replacement this is not scary, no springs will shoot out and you won't have to deal with critical alignments etc., just do it.

If you haul the carb into the shop, the counter guys usually will assist you checking the needle they see about 10 a month - this is a high fail item for all bikes. Take a small screwdriver and your needle nose pliars with you. Solving for overflow is really quite easy once you check all the known areas.

JabberJaw
05-19-2003, 08:52 AM
The same thing happens when I eat chilli!
Gas just flows out!

phatswinn
05-19-2003, 09:22 AM
ur float could be stuck open, take the carb out and take off the bowl and check to see if the float moves freely

sprtrx300ex
05-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Hey 300EXrider02,

Have u noticed that it vibrates alot more when u give it 3/4 throttle and kinda makes a humming noise?

300EXrider02
05-20-2003, 02:25 AM
ya i have, at high rev it makes a rattle type noise....i thought it was my air scoops rattlin g or something

300EXrider02
05-20-2003, 05:45 AM
what does this mean? I think I am going to bring it down to my local dealer...

sprtrx300ex
05-20-2003, 09:45 AM
I have the same problem. My engine seems to make a kinda of nocking noise too, but it could be normal. I dont believe the vibrating is normal though. Some people say it is the cam chain.
Let us know what your dealer says.