PDA

View Full Version : Street Legal quads

02Yellow400
05-18-2003, 10:28 AM
Alright in the last issiue of dirtwheels there was something about making quads street legal. Does anyone know if its possible in PA?

And check out this banshee its street legal and the guy lives in NY he can run 4 wheels or swap the rear with a street bike wheel..

http://www.marissa.org/street_banshee/

4wheelboy
05-18-2003, 10:48 AM
at njorvp im pretty sure theres was apost awhile back that said a guy was talking about how he has his warrior street legal but the law says he can only ride on the sholder around his riding area

02Yellow400
05-19-2003, 02:40 PM
nobody knows anything?

heavy_d
05-19-2003, 02:54 PM
i know in Arizona you can make your atv street legal, but i don't understand why not other states. The only excuse i have heard is there not stable. WOW and a motorcycle is, hmm kinda weird especially if you have a wide ***** quad that you have try real hard to flip, i would feel a lot safer on a quad than on a motorcycle on the road.

crazybuffalo
05-19-2003, 03:03 PM
the first i heard of a street legal quad is that production one that comes out in like a year

sweet300ex
05-19-2003, 11:53 PM
i think i have seen that before

02Yellow400
05-20-2003, 09:58 AM
yeah but its like 25,000 i am talking about spending like a 1000 or so and making my legal. Just that i dont know if it is possible in PA

4wheelboy
05-20-2003, 10:04 AM
check your states laws it should explain it

250ex_guts
05-20-2003, 10:18 AM
i dont think ur allowed street legal quads in pa i dont know y though cause people have street legal trikes and motorcycles

I-7
05-20-2003, 01:21 PM
There was an article in Dirt wheels about a guy that lived in PA and had a street legal kawasaki trike with an XR 650 engine in it. Ask around.

RuffRyder400ex
05-20-2003, 01:53 PM
that bamshe was:huh

ds650
11-17-2005, 11:09 PM
u want to know about Pa and the atv,s?? whell i have been trying to get street legal for some time now, the quest has been tough and all i got out of it was hefty fines and alot of community service. cops never give up!!!

Mxjunkie
11-17-2005, 11:13 PM
From what I understand it has to be a 4 stroke but I might be wrong, has to have d.o.t approved tires, brake light, headlight, blinkers, mirrors and a lowering kit sorta like the tt bikes, speedo and some other things.

Then I've also herd you have to do this like his was before
http://www.marissa.org/street_banshee/pics/3_wheel_stock_motor/

prepracing
11-17-2005, 11:21 PM
not gonna happen anytime soon here in the states, although if those death trap trikes and side cars on bikes are legal I sure don't see why a quad couldn't be set up to be legal?????? In Europe there are a couple different street legal quads, but they look like there about the same size as a mazda miata :eek2:

tater_kamik
11-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by heavy_d
i know in Arizona you can make your atv street legal, but i don't understand why not other states. The only excuse i have heard is there not stable. WOW and a motorcycle is, hmm kinda weird especially if you have a wide ***** quad that you have try real hard to flip, i would feel a lot safer on a quad than on a motorcycle on the road.

motorcycles are actually very stable, you havent seen any of the videos of people ghost riding a bike before?

blasterfury7474
11-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I know how to make a quad street legal. Don't get caught. And if they see you outrun the SOBs. Thats how me and my friends made our quads street legal.

Rdhanded2
11-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by heavy_d

You must not of ridden any real motorcycles before. Any quad is WAY harder to corner on at high speeds than a cycle. It would be a blast to run around town on though!

trict_out
11-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by blasterfury7474
I know how to make a quad street legal. Don't get caught. And if they see you outrun the SOBs. Thats how me and my friends made our quads street legal.
And i know how to get us off road riders an even worse reputation, listen to a retarded statements like yours.

Plante400
11-18-2005, 04:13 PM
i much rather have a CRF450x with 17 wheels and street tires:)

big_saxy
11-18-2005, 04:58 PM
My 300ex is street legal here in South Dakota. It's licensed just like a motorcycle. To make it street legal, you have to add a brake light, rear view mirror and a horn. And you are SUPPOSE to have DOT approved tires, but i've never been stopped for it yet. It's a blast riding it to work though. I'm always afraid of getting pulled over for being so loud, but harleys don't get pulled over. So why should my quad be any different?

NacsMXer
11-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
From what I understand it has to be a 4 stroke but I might be wrong, has to have d.o.t approved tires, brake light, headlight, blinkers, mirrors and a lowering kit sorta like the tt bikes, speedo and some other things.

Then I've also herd you have to do this like his was before
http://www.marissa.org/street_banshee/pics/3_wheel_stock_motor/

I don't understand the benefit of a single tire out back. Would be real sketchy trying to wheelie it I bet lol.

pistonbone
11-18-2005, 09:18 PM
check out the yahoo group, street legal quads, there is a ton of info there and a lot of the people are very knowledgable.

YFZ450Ridr
11-18-2005, 09:59 PM
i dont know if any of you guys saw this but this was a polaris attempt at a street quad. thing looks wicked:scary:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=191720&highlight=quadbike

Ridin' Jesse
11-19-2005, 09:59 AM
I think i read in QUAD magazine about street legal quads..the pic they had of one in there was AMAZING! it was so nice it was like a lambo of quads for the road.

blasterfury7474
11-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey Tricked_Out, I was joking. I just said that because where I live nobody cares that we ride on the road. So to us we are street legal.

Rip_Tear
11-19-2005, 11:16 AM
I can ride my quad on the road, all I have to have is INS and the licence on it... I just can't take it on the Hwy's around here.

decibles4me
05-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Is it possible that nobody has considered the solid rear axle being the only real concern here. I mean really every other issue is rellatively inexpensive to overcome. this is why there are a few single rear tire ex-quads out there. A trike has a differential in the rear to help it corner better, and a side car only has one drive tire. I have driven a quad on the black top and steering requires some effort whereas a motorcycle takes little effort at all. I do know that in most if not all states have laws against having a solid drive axle even though nearly all those who would enforce it do not have the knowledge to do so.

I for one would love to be able to ride my banshee to work here in az. I is illegal with out a rear differential most police just don't get it. but be warned there are a few that do.

All we need is a differential like a golfcart that doesn't way anything and can be locked for off road use hmmm I don't think that is gonna happen any time soon so to the dunes it is.:D :cool: