PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my MegaMax II pipe!

12-31-2001, 02:34 PM
I have a complete megamax II pipe and a k&n filter on my 300ex, other than that, the engine, intake, and exhaust is all stock. my buddy is running the same setup on his 300ex. we both have 10 disks plus the baffle (quit core) in the pipe. A while ago my buddy decided to take the baffle out of his pipe. it sounded so much better without it and ran fine. but after a while his ex started to bog down when he would run it pretty fast in 5th gear. it almost acted like it wasn't getting enough fuel. he ended up taking to a dealer because he dosn't like messing around with stuff like that. the dealer had to adjust something in the carb- i'm not sure what. but anyway, they blamed the problem on his pipe without the baffle. so from then on he ran it with the baffle. now a few months have gone by and i am really wanting to take tha baffle out of my pipe but am afraid it might mess something up in the carb. so my guestion is: does anyone know if it will mess anything up if i just run 10 disks and no baffle in my pipe? has anyone ever had trouble with that sort of thing? or, is anyone currently running their pipe that way and not having any trouble?

1997 300ex
FMF MegaMax II complete exhaust
K&N filter
Bandit front tires
stock 400ex rear tires
AC Racing bumper and swingarm skidplate
all black Maier racing cut plastic
N-Style gripper seat cover
black Scott Hurricanes
entire frame, a-arms, swingarm painted black
taillight, tool box, footguards, front brake disk guards, handlebar plactic, parking brake all removed

NJ300ex
12-31-2001, 02:42 PM
When your buddy took out the baffle in his exhaust he let there be more air flow. At the dealer they just richened his carb up by putting in a bigger jet to compensate for the more free flowing exhaust. There was nothing wrong with his carb. If you take out the baffle just change jets and you will be fine.

12-31-2001, 02:54 PM
hey thanks for the info....do have any suggestions for jet sizes? and do you know what the stock sizes are? i'm almost positive mine have the stock jets, but i'm not sure. but thanks again

NJ300ex
12-31-2001, 03:01 PM
i dont know what the stock sizes are and i can't really give you an idea for what size jets because jetting is more guess and check. You should have gotten instructions for what size jets to use when you got the pipe.

12-31-2001, 04:39 PM
i got the ex used and the filter and pipe were already on it...

CranMan
01-01-2002, 07:51 AM
Try going up a size or two on your main jet once you remove the baffle. Then run it and see how it does. Then check the plug and see what it looks like. Personally, when I re-jetted I didnt get too carried away with checking and rechecking the plug. I just ran it and saw how it did, and ended up changing main jets about three times before I was happy. Also when you change jets and try it out, you need to run it and pay close attention to low end, mid , and top end performance. More so than when you're just riding. You'll know when one area is not right. But if you get too much into it, you may over anylize things. It's not that hard once you do it the first time.

R-Crazy
01-02-2002, 09:15 PM
just move the clip needle down a few positions if u are running close air box. if not , go for a new jet.

dave

01-02-2002, 10:43 PM
fmf tells you to run a 128main with just the full system,122 is stock
if you have a k&n you have to run a 128main with a 42 pilot

if you have a modified engine you must go to a 140 with air box lid removed,,with discs removed it goes from a range of 130-135main...dont touch the needle it doesnt need to be rasied or lowered,try the 128,and 42 pilot trust me,leave the air box lid on.:blah