PDA

View Full Version : Hunters..look here

TheRedRebel17
05-17-2003, 01:48 PM
Im considering a bow for deer hunting and some 3-d shooting. This would be my first time in archery, so what should i look for? i will be hunting from a treestand, but my 3-ds will be from the ground.I need something that is proven and reliable. What should i look for in a bow? I know i have a 28-29 inch draw length. Im not sure about weight though. How big of a brace height am i looking for, for a beginner? Whats the best Axle to axle for these scenarios? Also, whats the difference between the solo cam , teh cam and 1/2 and the dual cam models?

Thanks alot

250EXking
05-17-2003, 02:01 PM
i have a parker ultra lite 31. i like it alot. the best bow out there is mathews. i would look at the new mathews legacy. it is a solocam with string suppresors and harmonic damping. your going to look at paying around 600 dollars. but it is worth. ive test shot one and its the best. for a brace height for a beginer, i would go no less then 7 inches. any of the mathews like the q2, mq 32, sq2. all great bows. they are all solo cam. thats the only bow i would buy is a solo cam one. it keeps from having two cams constatntly fighting each other. any more questions or want me to explain anything more throughly email at kyle250ex@homail.com

p@iNn3ck
05-17-2003, 02:22 PM
I agree. Get a single cam (haven't used cam and half) they are easier to tune. Either a Matthews or a Hoyt would be great. And if you want a great sight for it, check out Toxonics.com They make the absolute best in target sights and some great hunting sights, as well as a pendulum sight.

killed300ex
05-17-2003, 02:35 PM
id say just find a local dealer that has a range go there and tell them your in the market tell them what your doing they will give you a bunch of brands/names and if they have them in stock ask to try to shoot them as for pull strength its all about what you can pull back. If you plan on shooting 3d you definitly dont want something that you can only pull back 4 times and your arm is dead. You dont want something that is easy to pull back but you will want something that you can pull back 30+ times So really id just ask around with some people at your local shop see what they are shooting then ask to try them out its the only way you will end up with a bow that you will like
killed

cletusEX
05-17-2003, 03:41 PM
I shoot a Matthew's MQ 1 and love it. It 's a pretty forgiving bow and you can't beat 85% let-off(70 lbs feels like nothing). I like it better than the shorter MQ 32 (the MQ 1 is around 36 i think) but that's just my preference. As for the brace height, definitely try to stay over 7 inches. And whatever you get shoot it as much as possible, even if you only shooting short distances the more the better you will be. Good luck!

Tommy 17
05-17-2003, 04:22 PM
i have the new CAM 1/2 HOYT RAZOR tech and i'll never buy anything without it... i've shot just about every mathews out there on the market and every bowtech... and the hoyt is smoother and quiter... the hoyt with the new cam 1/2 i don't even hear go off... its very forgiving and i love it...

get something around 36 inchs axle to axle and over 7 inch brace height... my bow is 33 axle to axle and i think 7 1/4 brace i forget...

i shot a bowtech patriot that was like 5 3/8 brace height and my god was that bow hard to shot... u move 1 tiny bit and the arrow flys all stupid... not to mention the bow was shootin 340fps...:huh

for a good beginers bow look at highcountry... u know about hte one i have for sale;)

TheRedRebel17
05-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
for a good beginers bow look at highcountry... u know about hte one i have for sale;)

Thats in the FRONT of my mind as we speak

05-17-2003, 04:49 PM
I have a martin jaguar magmum and it is awsome. i would reccomend it

YLW400
08-04-2003, 07:07 AM
I just looked at one of those Martins, and I liked it alot. But I am leaving work early today to go look at a Legacy......

Derek
08-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
I have a martin jaguar magmum and it is awsome. i would reccomend it

I have the same bow. Didnt use a ton but I thought it was a very nice bow. I out grew it so ill be in the market for a hoyt.

Tommy 17
08-04-2003, 07:26 AM
the mathews legacy is a nice bow... i've shot one but it had a really weird feelin in the cam...

with my hoyt razor tech i shot a 288 outta 300 in my 1st 3d this year... and the 1st time i picked up my bow in 2 months...

derek we have to go shoot screen again now that i got my razor tech:macho

Derek
08-04-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
the mathews legacy is a nice bow... i've shot one but it had a really weird feelin in the cam...

with my hoyt razor tech i shot a 288 outta 300 in my 1st 3d this year... and the 1st time i picked up my bow in 2 months...

derek we have to go shoot screen again now that i got my razor tech:macho

Yea that was great.....but god my bow doesnt fit for chit anymore.

XxxTRiPxxX
08-04-2003, 07:32 AM
sorry for jacking the thread but if anyone is interesting in getting involved in competative archery i have a hoyt stratus plus twin cam, toxonics scope, and carbon fiber 3' stabalizer and tuner rest for sale im me if interested. this bow took second in freestyle masters class at nationals in 99 and i won open freestyle at the atalictic city archery shoot in 2001.
jed

wilkin250r
08-04-2003, 12:09 PM
I've done all my bowhunting with a recurve.

250x#93
08-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Dang I want a new bow:grr: But oh well I'll get one soon enough, I haven't made it to near enough bow shoots:mad:

EXflattracker
08-04-2003, 01:52 PM
I was just wondering if any of you archers shot ASA or NFAA. I have been competeing in both for like 5 years now. I won the south eastern NFAA and went to nationals and placed 5th. I also won the SC ASA state championship and qualified for the world in Atlanta 2 years back. I was wondering if anyone else did this aswell!!!!! By the way, gotta go with Mathews

YLW400
08-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Maybe if I knew for sure I was going to be hot and heavy into archery again, I would buy a Mathews. But i have been out of it for so long, I don't think it's worth me buying a 700.00 bow with 600.00 of accesories. I went to the bow shop last night and looked at a LX by Mathews....nice bow, but the guy in the pro shop said he is consistently setting them completely up for 1200-1300.00.......No thanks. Too much for me. I talked to a more local guy who would set me up with a Martin Jaguar, completely set up out the door for like 500.00 I think I'll go that route for now.

Hoggr9
08-05-2003, 06:47 AM
I've had my Matthews Z-Max for about 8 years with 0 problems.
I've taken several deer with it as well as several thousand 3D
critters and it was money well spent.
But archery is very time consuming,you get out of it what you put in.
Before you try your hand at hunting i would recommend you try
the 3D first and you will most likely realize like many others have that you need alot more practice before you take to the woods.
But good luck and have fun,glad to have you as a fellow archery hunter/shooter.

Tommy 17
08-05-2003, 07:05 AM
hoggr thats so true...

its amazing when i go in the woods and find over 30 deer with gut shots bc people can't shoot for junk...

i know i've tracked more of my friends deer bc they can't hit them right...

every deer i've ever shot has ran under 100yds and died...

if u don't practice don't go hunting...

Dirt
08-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Find a friend or relative that is experienced and go to an archery shop and start trying new bows. Remember you do not need the best. The most important thing is to start shooting. Bow setup and ability is most important. I my opinion successful hunting is much less than 20% shooting ability.

Shoot the bow before you buy it..

Hoggr9
08-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Before you buy i suggest you spend some time with someone who knows.
Find a friend or relative or go to your local proshop and handle/shoot as many different models as you can before making your final decision.
You dont have to have the most expensive but find something in your priceranga that feels good to you and fits you correctly.
I would steer away from catalog ordering if you dont have the necessary experience to know exactly what you need.
You local proshop is always a good bet as they will also know when and where the local shooting events are.
Once again good luck and enjoy the sport.