PDA

View Full Version : axle is loose???

400exbiggun
05-17-2003, 01:21 PM
hey guys, i have a 400ex, and the bolts next to the rear disk wont tighten to stop the axle from moving. there is one that is like a little sleeve with threads and then one skinny one that goes over top. Any one know what i mean? any way, my friend lifted the rear end up and moved it, and my wheel stayed in the same spot, but the entire swingarm moved side to side in the carrier. also the bearing carrier is tight. But the other day, i loosened the 4 bolts on the end of the swing-arm, and water came rushing out, i was like:confused2 . that can't be good can it? i think my bearings are fine though.
should there be anything else by the disk to stop the axle from moving???

300EX_HMF
05-17-2003, 01:30 PM
did you tighten your lock nut? tighten the big one first and then the little one to keep the big from getting loose. (you can have it to tight) and if there was water poring out ur carrier then i would double check those bearings!! and how long have you had them bearings in there??

400exbiggun
05-17-2003, 01:44 PM
i did tighten the big one, but it still is loose, i can still move it back and forth. i tighten it and it turns and moves, but then is i pull on it it will still move.
i only had the quad a month, don't know if the previous owner changed them.

400exbiggun
05-17-2003, 01:47 PM
http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex/rear_axel_-_drive_chain.jpg
ok, i tighten #10 then #9 and it still does not matter.

300EX_HMF
05-17-2003, 01:47 PM
do you got number 11 in there?

if you got msn or aol tell me cause it will be easier to talk.

400exbiggun
05-17-2003, 01:53 PM
we have aol, but i don't use it, yes #11 is there, if it goes in the slot right of #2:confused:

300EX_HMF
05-17-2003, 01:59 PM
you got er all ****erd up!!!!!!! jk. your axle nut clip doesnt go in slot 2. did you put ur clip on first cause if u did then thats where u messed up. if so take ur axle nut off and ur clip, put your axle nut on FIRST!! and then put your clip in that groove and tighten the 2 bolt thingys toward the clip and then you should be good.

400exbiggun
05-17-2003, 02:03 PM
then i guess i read this diagram wrong. at the right of the nuts there is a lip so that the lock-nut can go only so far. i NEVER took the axle off, so i therefore i never messed any thing up. i guess i better get a closer look at it tomorrow.

300EX_HMF
05-17-2003, 02:08 PM
so what exactly moves? does the whole axle move through the carrier side to side or does it move up and down with everything tight?
some pic of your axle will be a huge help!!

400ex45
05-17-2003, 02:08 PM
it is left handed threads. and if you had water coming out then you should take the hole carrier out and clean it and check everything. i worked on one that had water coming out of it and the bearings were really messed up.

400exbiggun
05-17-2003, 02:10 PM
well i guess that my day of hill climbing tomorrow will be spent pulling apart my quad.:mad:
all right how do i take off the axle and get to the carrier. I don't have a book yet.
Any one want to sell a repair manual?

400exbiggun
05-17-2003, 02:17 PM
all right i will get a pic tomorrow. the wheels are planted on the ground, then i lift up on the grab bar a little and push it side to side, and the wheels stay still, but then maybe the bearings are not tight on the axle, cause the whole rear end moves along the axle like a track.

swamprider7
05-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Sounds like your bearings are shot.

400ex45
05-18-2003, 01:34 AM
1. screw the nut clear in so you can take the clip off
2 take the spindel and tire of on the right side
3 pull the brake caliper off
4 should be able to pull the threads, nuts and the whole brake disc hub off
5 take chain off and take the axle off the to the left side of the quad
6 there is a snap ring on the right side of the carrier take that off
7 then pull the carrier out

i think i got everything in there let me know if i left anything out.

400exBro
05-18-2003, 02:17 AM
i have the same problem and i think it is just the clip that is spining in it's grove... since the big nut goes over top of the clip (plus the big doesn't have any threads on it just smooth, right???) it allows the big nut to move aswell, as long as the little nut stays tight you should be okay...

If that doesn't work go out and buy your self a posi lock, it is one big nut with pinch bolts... works a lot better

400ex45
05-18-2003, 02:45 AM
the big nut does have threads and that whole assembly spins the only thing that doesnt spin is the bracket that holds the brake caliper on and the bearing carrier.