PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use Octane Booster ?

JD400exrider
05-17-2003, 09:46 AM
Well I went to get some race gas. The place I found it was $40.00 for five gallons. $8.00 a gallon. :eek2: :eek2: I was going to mix it half and half with supreme gas. Where I live in CA the highest pump gas is 91 octane It seems to run OK with the 10.8-1 piston. But wanted to try some higher octane gas

Has anyone used the octane booster at the auto parts stores. There are many brands. If so, what brand are you using and how much of the bottle. Will it hurt a four cycle engine.

Thanks for the help in advance

4TraxRider
05-17-2003, 09:53 AM
IMO, its pretty pointless. It really doesn't do much.

F-16Guy
05-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Do a search, there's a couple really good threads on the subject. I think the general consensus is that the auto parts stuff isn't very good, but there are some other good options. Do some reading, you'll learn more about octane booster than you ever wanted to know.:cool:

4TraxRider
05-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Yeah, the only ones I've read are from autoparts stores, and they say they only raise teh ocate by like .4 or .5 i think. That's not really even worth it. If someone has a better brand name, that actualy works, I'd love to know about it too.

Kilabanshee
05-17-2003, 12:29 PM
I use stp fuel injector and carburator cleaner in my quad and it seems to always keep it runing clean. Yeah i put 4 octance booster is my 400ex and it really didnot seem to do anything but make it run a little smother those suckers cost me 2.35 a bottle.

F-16Guy
05-18-2003, 03:38 AM
Read "the real deal on octane booster", they talk about toulene, xylene, and a few other options. You can get it from paint stores for cheap, like $2.50/gallon. If you mix it correctly, they can bump the octane up to around 100. The stuff at the auto parts stores will leave build up on the piston if you use it on a regular basis.

Kilabanshee
05-18-2003, 05:41 AM
sooo whats the stuff called i want to tryin mixing this stuff and seeing if it really makes a difference. You go to the paint store and ask for what.............

airheadedduner
05-18-2003, 06:51 AM
4oz of acetone to 5gal will bump 93octane to 100. But I would only recomend that in a pinch. If it is not overheating or pinging on 91 don't worry about it. Then that is enough. I do not recomend using any kind of octane boosters. They are inconsistant. If you need the extra octane it could put you in troble. I have seen first hand the damage octane boosters can do due to the inconsistancy in batch to batch and brand differences. Its not pretty:scary: Picture what it takes to do enough damage to be able to stick your thumb through the top of a piston crown.

Kilabanshee
05-18-2003, 07:02 AM
ok so go get 93 octand gas then go to the paintstore and get aceton and mix 4 onces of it in a 5 gallon gas container. I want to try this and see if it cleans out my engine.

Sporttrax400ex
05-18-2003, 07:43 AM
Never used it.

StreetLegalEX
05-18-2003, 08:58 AM
91 is the max you can get?

Where I live 95 is the lowest you can get :D
I always load it up with 98 for a bit of an extra punch.

JD400exrider
05-18-2003, 05:54 PM
Yea 91 is the highest octane from the pumps that I can find. Supreme unleaded Lowest is 87 octane. Supreme unleaded is 2.00 a gallon now. Was as high as 2.40 a few months back. Good old CA

airheadedduner
05-19-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Kilabanshee
ok so go get 93 octand gas then go to the paintstore and get aceton and mix 4 onces of it in a 5 gallon gas container. I want to try this and see if it cleans out my engine.
By your sig I would say you don't need it. I doubt it would do anything as far as cleaning out your motor. I wouldn't run it for the reason that I think acetone draws water(someone correct me). I don't cheap out when it comes to what powers my machine. That is just info I recieved from what I would consider a credible source. If your bike is jetted right then there would be no need to clean it out like that.

Loeryder
05-19-2003, 08:28 AM
Xylene is the stuff you are looking for.

It is straight 117 octane, but HAS to be mixed with gasoline.

Usually the highest I've seen it mixed is 3 gals gas to 1 gal xylene, then add an ounce or 2 of Klotz fuel lube, by Uplon.

If you don't KNOW for a fact that you need octane boosted I wouldnt F around with it.

I've ran about 25 gallons of Xylene through my Typhoon and its much safer on the O2 sensor than leaded race gas.
Not that it matters on an ATV.