PDA

View Full Version : how to 416?

dracs 400
05-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Allright, i've been riding my 400ex for two years now and i want more power. my next project is a 416 kit and cam, but i don't know where to start. my biggest question is piston size, i know 85mm is stock, but what if i get a 86mm wiseco 11.1 at 0.040 over, what in the heck is all that. i have a guy to do all the work for me but i need to come up with the parts. anyone that can help me or feel pity for me, i'm sick and tired of gettin beat by my friends z400 and raptor.

steve7467
05-16-2003, 01:31 PM
87 mm is a 416. you will be amazed by the power difference. I just got mine put back together and it is a totally different bike now. it pulls hard through all of the gears. i havn't had the chance to race any raptors or Z's but i beat my friend on his piped banshee. now you have to know this was on dirt and he had a lot of wheel spin so i got the holeshot and he couldn't catch up. Sorry i had to explain that but on another web site no one seems to beleive it. i have to explain it every time and they still think i am lieing. oh well

oh and besides the 416 and cam i had my engine guy polish up the ports.

mikeboone
05-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Draccs--going w/ a 86mm will make a 406 cc. I would get at least the 416 if spending cash on piston and bore job. I would NOT get any Wiseco piston--go with Ross or JE. let us know how much you can spend on this projetc and we can give you some good combos for power from $300-$1000 depending on what you want. Expect to spend a good bit to run with piped raptors and z400's though. Plan to get a good drop in cam and maybe port the head. What kind of exhaust you have on now?

Dune Surfer
05-17-2003, 05:25 AM
Simple answer: call Colby and Dusty at C&D racing. they will hook you up with a ross or JE piston, gaskets, hotcams stage 2 and you will be set. Take tour cylinder to get bored locally, porting too if you have the $$$ do the work yourself. It will make a big difference, you will smoke Z's and C&D will give you the best price on the parts and answer all of your questions. You can forget about beating rapters unless you want to sink a butload of cash into your quad. ( stroker motor, carb, oversized valves, high compression ect. I ride with them all the time, trust me)

dracs 400
05-17-2003, 06:40 AM
87mm piston, allright, thats the first step, thanks steve, and by the way, i believe you about smokin a banshee. that's one thing i like about racin faster bikes, rider skill plays a major part.

dracs 400
05-17-2003, 06:46 AM
hey mikeboone, this may be a dumb question but what's wrong with wiseco, i thought they were top of the line. if it's a question of durability then that doesn't matter too much for me because all i do is mainly trail ride, with an occasional visit too budds creek mx track and the landing mx track. also my budget is slim, i'm in the navy and transfering to hotlanta in august, so i need to conserve my spending

dracs 400
05-17-2003, 06:49 AM
dune surfer, thanks for the heads up on c&d racing, i will give them a call and see what they can do for me. i do have a guy to do the port and polish for me, i just hope i can afford everything at once.

dracs 400
05-17-2003, 06:51 AM
sorry mike, e-series silencer w/ stock headpipe, 152 jet and modded air box.

Dune Surfer
05-17-2003, 08:11 AM
Wisco makes a good piston but they have lower compression then they claim.

dracs 400
05-17-2003, 10:05 AM
good enough for me dunesurfer, thanx