PDA

View Full Version : Elka's Everywhere

Doibugu2
05-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Has anyone else noticed Elka is getting some huge marketshare. I read a little of May Dirtwheels and I think each of the feature quads had Elka's. I know at least the Z and KFX had it and the warrior one. The ATV sport also had a few.

They sure seem to be doing something right. I guess thats why the prices went up.:grr

No flames please.

05-16-2003, 07:25 AM
I've noticed that also..but according to all the kiddies on the page they suck butt so I sold mine and went back to stockers....:(

Doibugu2
05-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I've noticed that also..but according to all the 15 year olds on the page they suck butt so I sold mine and went back to stockers....:(

I thought you said you couldn't even sell them because no one wanted them and everyone kept saying they were junk?:D

Pappy
05-16-2003, 07:30 AM
junk.....elka is jussssssst junk:devil :blah

Ben
05-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Elka was doing a killer job in getting market share, no doubt about it - if they had a US plant they would have done even better (no import tax). Great shock and great price. With the price increase, however, and their spotty dealer relations, I think they messed too much with a good thing. Just my 2 cents though :D

XANDADA
05-16-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Elka was doing a killer job in getting market share, no doubt about it - if they had a US plant they would have done even better (no import tax). :D

I agree, excellent job gaining market share but in 2002 the Canadian $ had a pretty good advantage over US $. That is changing rapidly and I bet the main reason for the price hike. I would expect more to come and soon.

05-16-2003, 08:20 AM
I've seen it posted several several times about elkas price hike hurting their business. But I'm guessin everyone thinks that AXIS, TCS, PEP, Works etc...still have the same exact price on what ever type of shock since the first day they were released. I know works has been around a long time...their prices have probably went up more times in the last 10 years than i can count on one hand..but who sells the most shocks period.....WORKS

If it's a bad thing that elka raised their prices then someone please prove to me that none of the other shock companies listed above have NEVER raised the cost for a set of their shocks..;) I don't think you can.... I just don't understand why elka has to get bashed for doing something PEP and Axis have done also. I could be wrong here but i don't think so...:)

pane2k
05-16-2003, 08:24 AM
yeah rico thats a good point you have made ;) I also agree with Ben, if they had a US plant they probably would be doing better, but we also pay for shipping out of canada when we order them so theyre not really losing any money. And whichever shock company you chose I think you get when you pay for

Johnny_G
05-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Of the current top 10 GNCC riders here is what shocks they run

1 LRD 001 Bill Ballance Axis
2 LEG 004 Chris Borich Axis
3 HON 007 Chad Duvall Elka
4 SUZ 003 William Yokley Elka
5 ROL 006 Santo Derisi Axis
6 LRD 002 Matt Smiley Axis
7 LRD 019 Brandon Ballance Axis
8 HON 009 Gregory Trew PEP
9 KAW 005 Bradley Page Elka
10 LON 014 Johnny Gallagher Axis

6 Axis
3 Elka
1 PEP

Like I said just my opinion............Buy the shocks that will work the best with your riding style, and you budget.

Ben
05-16-2003, 08:26 AM
I've seen it posted several several times about elkas price hike hurting their business. But I'm guessin everyone thinks that AXIS, TCS, PEP, Works etc...still have the same exact price on what ever type of shock since the first day they were released. I know works has been around a long time...their prices have probably went up more times in the last 10 years than i can count on one hand..but who sells the most shocks period.....WORKS

If it's a bad thing that elka raised their prices then someone please prove to me that none of the other shock companies listed above have NEVER raised the cost for a set of their shocks..;) I don't think you can.... I just don't understand why elka has to get bashed for doing something PEP and Axis have done also. I could be wrong here but i don't think so...:)

Oh I don't think it is a bad thing, nor that other shock companies haven't done it. I think Elka makes a good shock, I won't run them for personal reasons but they are a good product nonetheless. :) What I am saying is that in my opinion they made their name and business by making a good shock for less than the other comparable models. Now that they have lost that niche (i.e. good product and cheaper price than competitors) they still have the same good product but I think that they have moved away from what made them successful in the first place, and have become just another higher end shock company with nothing to distinguish them from other similar companies. ;)

Ben
05-16-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Johnny_G
Like I said just my opinion............Buy the shocks that will work the best with your riding style, and you budget.

I agree. I'm sure Rico will drink to that statement too :D

cdalejef
05-16-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Ben
have become just another higher end shock company with nothing to distinguish them from other similar companies. ;) Ummm......Choice of piggy back or remote rezzy, high and low speed compression dampning, ti shafts, best customer service of any company in the business (IMO) and lots of cool new stuff soon to be released

Ben
05-16-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Ummm......Choice of piggy back or remote rezzy, high and low speed compression dampning, ti shafts, best customer service of any company in the business (IMO) and lots of cool new stuff soon to be released

Like I said - you have your opinion and I have mine :D

Ralph
05-16-2003, 08:38 AM
RICO, im 15, i have elkas and love em. why not say some little kids...SOME

05-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Ben
I agree. I'm sure Rico will drink to that statement too :D

If i wasn't at work yes I would.....:devil

I'm sure the shipping across the border doesn't help their prices and that sucks...:(

I'd run any dag on shock out there,,, I chose Elka because the price that was offered to me made ma jaw drop and I couldn't pass it up. I think if you covered up a shock so the rider didn't know what they were and the shocks were fine tuned for that person,,they wouldn't be able to tell you what shock they were riding on..:ermm:

Jonny C what all shocks have you ran????

Ben
05-16-2003, 08:44 AM
If i wasn't at work yes I would.....:devil

lmfao :blah

I'd run any dagon shock out there. I think if you covered up a shock so the rider didn't know what they were and the shocks were fine tuned for that person,,they wouldn't be able to tell you what shock they were riding on..:ermm:

I would agree 100% - at least 95% of riders couldn't tell. I know I couldn't. :)

Pappy
05-16-2003, 08:59 AM
id say all the shock companies are laughin all the way to the bank......im riggin up a new suspension set up that will work with broomsticks ...a beer can rezzy and an old spring from a mattress:o then ill get me a pro to run them and be set:devil

do you think donald trump will be pissed off when i take of trump towers:confused:

Johnny_G
05-16-2003, 09:02 AM

Jonny C what all shocks have you ran????

In this order since spring of 2002

PEP
Ohlins
Elka
Axis

some were better than others..........some were much much worse than others.
the latter is my choice for eternity........I will never run anything else, Just my .02

pane2k
05-16-2003, 09:08 AM
do you think donald trump will be pissed off when i take of trump towers:confused: [/B]

lmao he might be a little upset :D

monkeyboy
05-16-2003, 09:18 AM

PEP
Ohlins
Elka
Axis

some were better than others..........some were much much worse than others.
the latter is my choice for eternity........I will never run anything else, Just my .02

jonny C is fass an no wat himz doin so lissin up ebery bodee to wat he say:macho i git me aXis on da tecotty frum santa claase

Pappy
05-16-2003, 09:23 AM
hey monkey...is this yer place at xmas:confused:

monkeyboys at xmas (http://www.toonedin.com/movies/WhiteTrashXmas.html)

Doibugu2
05-16-2003, 09:25 AM
The thing about Elka rasing there prices sucks. I think they are overpriced to begin with (all aftermarket shocks are). Someone explain to me why Elka has been all over the magazines and all of a sudden there prices go up. Seems to me, we the average Joe consumer is paying for the advertising we are seeing in Dirt Wheels. Thats my point.

pane2k
05-16-2003, 09:33 AM
ahha pappy i like the whiite trash christmas thing..lol

and yes elka highering their prices does suck, but if all the other companies are that high why shouldnt elka? the peps and axis are more expensive

toby400ex
05-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Shiat main, if i got some o dem ohlins off a blaze i would be a happy fat motha******:confused2

cdalejef
05-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Shiat main, if i got some o dem ohlins off a blaze i would be a happy fat motha******:confused2 Actually, those work pretty well with an SSD conversion!

toby400ex
05-16-2003, 12:14 PM
I bet they do, i need $300 more and i will be ready to hunt some down. Do you happen to know what i have to do to the bushings to get them to fit my 400ex.:p

Chanman420q
05-16-2003, 12:38 PM

PEP
Ohlins
Elka
Axis

i know its ur oppinion but i dont see how Ohlins can be rated over elkas and AXIS?? the way ive always looked at it was

PEP
AXIS
ELKA
OHLIN
WORKS

i just dont see how ohlin can be second.. but hardly IF any run them...

cdalejef
05-16-2003, 12:48 PM
I think that means that is the order he ran them in

Chanman420q
05-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I think that means that is the order he ran them in

oooo :uhoh: my bad, rate how u liked them

Rip_Tear
05-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
id say all the shock companies are laughin all the way to the bank......im riggin up a new suspension set up that will work with broomsticks ...a beer can rezzy and an old spring from a mattress:o then ill get me a pro to run them and be set:devil

do you think donald trump will be pissed off when i take of trump towers:confused:
WOW Pappy, can I get a set! Anyone who wants to get rid of their JUNK Elka's can send them here, I can deal with them for ya :D XANDADA is probaly right, Canada's dollar went up pretty good, so the price high for the US... Also as Elka expand obivously they are going to have to charge more.

Heres MO, any shock that is rebuildable can't be bad, period! Because you can always get it rebuilt to suit your needs, new seals, re dampen, different oil, gas what every, new springs. The only thing "BAD" about a shock is maybe travel...

bluebaron
05-16-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Lrd Mx400ex
RICO, im 15, i have elkas and love em. why not say some little kids...SOME

same here.....well im 14

Bill Fuller
05-16-2003, 06:42 PM
When everyone started bashing ELKA I took mine off and made them into a bong:bandit: I'm with Rico nothing but stockers for me :D Unless everybody says different:rolleyes:

AlaskaSpeed
05-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Ok...I just found this thread once I got back from 2 hours on the track on the new PEP zps shocks and all I can say is WOW! There is a huge difference in the PEPs vs Elkas in performance from the time I put on them today. I looked for a flaw and didn't find one yet. The PEPs have totally impressed me after the initial ride today; looking forward to more time on them. I would say that the rear is no comparison to the Elka rear I had and I thought it was great rebound wise. The PEP fronts absolutely are less harsh in their valving than the Elkas were. JMO after 2 hours on the track...........JIM

yellowex01
05-17-2003, 01:23 AM
Jim, does that mean the 7 month wait was worth it? :) I like my peps alot more than my elkas as well. I really thought my elkas were sweet until I put on the peps..

AlaskaSpeed
05-17-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by yellowex01
Jim, does that mean the 7 month wait was worth it? :) I like my peps alot more than my elkas as well. I really thought my elkas were sweet until I put on the peps..

Scott, sup....yes; the wait was forgotten after this initial ride on them.....JIM

QuadTrix6
05-17-2003, 08:58 AM
..but who sells the most shocks period.....WORKS

PEP moves more shocks than works there worldwide ;)

05-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
PEP moves more shocks than works there worldwide ;)

So PEP that takes 3 months to make 1 set of shocks puts out more shocks than works which has lord only knows how many people building shocks everyday...:huh

QuadTrix6
05-17-2003, 11:23 AM
So PEP that takes 3 months to make 1 set of shocks puts out more shocks than works which has lord only knows how many people building shocks everyday...:huh

Yes. Why do you think they have a wait cuz they take there time? no its because they make and ship out more shocks then any other.

AlaskaSpeed
05-17-2003, 12:36 PM
....what we have here is a battle of the minds......can't wait to see how this turns out....this shock talk is a touchy subject for Rico....lol

Pappy
05-17-2003, 12:41 PM
look out jim:eek:

AlaskaSpeed
05-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
look out jim:eek:

Kenny....I have that same stuffed moose looking thing on my forklift at work....lmao........that BETTER not be the same one@!!!!!!:macho :grr :D

TheRedRebel17
05-17-2003, 12:46 PM

im going to have to agree with rico on this one. :ermm:
Look in dennis kirk and rocky mountain atv, and see which companies are in there...Works..and thats it. I dont see elka, PEP, custom axis, or anything else.

AlaskaSpeed
05-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Rider-400EX
Look in dennis kirk and rocky mountain atv, and see which companies are in there...Works..and thats it. I dont see elka, PEP, custom axis, or anything else.

....you can also get Works at your local Walmart...aisle 45c........:eek2:

TheRedRebel17
05-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
....you can also get Works at your local Walmart...aisle 45c........:eek2:

thanks for the info..might have to pick me up some :D

AlaskaSpeed
05-17-2003, 12:52 PM
thanks for the info..might have to pick me up some :D

Be careful there...they have a problem with falling prices I hear.....:huh :D

TheRedRebel17
05-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Be careful there...they have a problem with falling prices I hear.....:huh :D
do they come pre lubicated also? :eek2:

QuadTrix6
05-17-2003, 02:16 PM

well thats what i hear about PEP :macho .(subject dropped);)