PDA

View Full Version : Shock covers?

Stock 400 rider
05-16-2003, 03:32 AM
Can anybody tell me if shock covers will make my stock shocks last longer, since will not be in contact with dust and water??

About jumps, they would be the same as without them?

Any thoughts would be great

Stock 400 rider
05-19-2003, 10:52 AM
Anybody???

lil400exman
05-19-2003, 11:13 AM
i dont likeem sinced they wear off ur springs color. they also hold in water and dirt so i dont use em. i like my springs to show and the difference is minute so i dont run them...............and once u get them muddy they never look really clean again.................:(

Str8Wicked
05-20-2003, 05:25 AM
I started running them with my stock shocks but wanted to show springs so took them off.... I do have them on my works shocks thou since those are worth protecting. Also I heard that shockwears are really worth it if you do a lot of duning since the sand is what gets inside the shocks and screws them....

KY Woods Rider
05-20-2003, 07:22 AM
Since the stock front shocks have plastic protectors to keep things from hitting the shaft, then I don't know if they would help protect much on the front or not. The rear shock, on the other hand, gets exposed to a lot of mud, water, leaves, and sticks while riding and the shaft is exposed, so a Shockwear on the rear seems like a good idea to me. The main reason that I run Shockwears is to keep roosted mud, rocks, leaves, and sticks from getting in the springs and binding things up. If you ride close behind someone in muddy conditions, you can get so much mud in the springs that it effects the action of the front shocks. If you are runnning high quality shocks, then there is no way that I would ride without Shockwears, because one roosted rock can hit the shock shaft and cause fairly substantial damage. Plus, I think Shockwears look good:D

The main downside to Shockwears is that they wear the coating off the shock springs, so it looks funny if you decide to pull the Shockwears off. If you ride behind other people in rocky areas though, you'll eventually get a bunch of small nicks taken out of the spring coating anyhow. Also, water and some dust can still go through the Shockwears, so every now and then you need to pull the Shockwears off, wash off the shock, and wash off the Shockwears.

TRX250XFIRE
05-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Shock covers do protect your shocks, when out rideing they keep the mud and rocks out of your springs, prolonging your shocks life.
~Cody

Stock 400 rider
05-21-2003, 03:26 AM
thaks a lot guys
My shocks are stock I think I'll keep them without shockwears

QuadTrix6
05-21-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
The main downside to Shockwears is that they wear the coating off the shock springs, so it looks funny if you decide to pull the Shockwears off.

what meterial are your shockwares ? if you run neoprene like PEP gives you with there shocks they will not wear the paint off the shock and they will not fall off or bunch with the ZPS spring, i run neoprene all around and after every ride i take them off and clean them, its been a few months and my shocks look brand new still with all the paint :cool: